Play 3 Discontinued?

• 25 October 2017
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Just went to Best Buy today, and the Play 3 has been REMOVED from the new Sonos display--just a Play 1, Play 5, and the new ONE. The guy told me it's still for sale, but it's being discontinued. Anybody else heard this? Is it going to be replaced with another Play 3 type "middle of the road" speaker, I wonder?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

I'd be hesitant about any information given to me by a sales person at Best Buy.

I'd also think that if Sonos was intending to have another speaker out before the holidays, it would already be announced, but stranger things have happened.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Yeah, I know Sonos is very tight-lipped when it comes to this stuff, but it's interesting to see the UPDATED Sonos display no longer with a Play 3 attached to it!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I highly doubt that the Play:3 is getting discontinued. Maybe it's just that the Sonos ONE is of higher priority to put on show? but then again why not replace the Play:1 on display instead?
As I recall, last time I was at Best Buy looking at the Sonos display, it was about 6 months ago, and they didn't have the PLAY:3 displayed. I doubt that Sonos has complete control over the display. and the local Sonos rep probably gives the store some strong words when it's not set up the way Sonos wants, but likely without any way to back the complaint. I doubt that a few stores not following regulations will result in Sonos pulling their products from Best Buy.
Went to Best Buy over this past weekend. Heard the same ie., that Play:3 is discontinued. Contacted Sonos, but they would not comment about it. Question is, do I wait for new model or buy existing Play:3, which is on sale today
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Went to Best Buy over this past weekend. Heard the same ie., that Play:3 is discontinued. Contacted Sonos, but they would not comment about it. Question is, do I wait for new model or buy existing Play:3, which is on sale today

If the Play 3 fulfils your requirements NOW and is at the right price then go for it.

HOWEVER. If you're likely to want Airplay in the future then I believe your only options would be Sonos:1, Play 5 Gen 2 or Playbase.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Hmm, the BX just dropped the prices of the Play:1 to 129, the Play:3 to 229 and the Connect to 329, and the website doesn't say SALE in bright red next to the pricing like it does for the Soundbar, Soundbase and ONE. Kind of indicates that the $x29 is the new AAFES price point, but I'm not sure.
Please clarify, will airplay work directly with play 1 and 5, but nowt with play 3 ??
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Airplay will require a Sonos unit with new hardware.

As I said above we think this applies to Sonos:1 (NOT the Play:1), the Play 5 Gen 2 and the Playbase (Don't quote me on this).

* I am not a Sonos employee nor affiliated in any way. I just frequent these boards. So if you will need Airplay but must buy a Sonos unit NOW then I suggest you confirm the that the unit you are looking at will be forward compatible in that regards direct with Sonos
Sonos has not yet confirmed which speakers will work with AirPlay 2, except to say "the latest speakers". We are presuming the Sonos One, and hoping that both the PLAYBASE and PLAY:5 Gen 2 are included. I suspect that the Sonos team is still working on it, and is unwilling to release further information until they can confirm that it will definitely work.
Badge
Looks like Sonos officially removed it. I won't loose any sleep over this, most underwhelming speaker they make.
Well, now, that's fascinating. Thanks for the catch, MusicFreak!
Badge
Well, now, that's fascinating. Thanks for the catch, MusicFreak! You bet. I'm pretty sure they will release another one that sits between the 1 and 5, presumably better then the current 3. My intent wasn't to dump on he 3 though, its a good speaker, just not as good as the others in my opinion. I bet you can score a good deal on used 3's on eBay.
I've got a pair in my bedroom that sound wonderful. Not anxious to replace them, either 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Still on AAFES site, at $229, but they do lag a bit behind other resellers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd guess that folks selling Play 3s today have some back stock and once it is gone they are done. I wonder if any from the supply chain will show up at any of the remainder sites at a good price and new warranty?
I've got a pair in my bedroom that sound wonderful. Not anxious to replace them, either :)
I was looking for the Play:3 . I have a Play:5 . Do you know how the 3 compares to a 5? glad they are updating the 3. I hope they give it a line in port.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For me a single Play 5 sounds a lot better as a single speaker, the stereo imaging isn't great but it isn't completely flat like a Play 3.

In pairs the 3 is great for smaller rooms like my 10x10 foot office where a pair of Play 5s would be overkill on sound and take up a lot more space. I could get by with a pair of Play 1s in here but the Play 3s just sound better to me, with more low end.

If you add a Sub what I'm hearing around here is that the Play 1s or Sonos Ones are great and the Play 3 doesn't add a lot to justify the extra cost.
Badge +1
I kept wanting to get one for my basement area, but kept not. Maybe I can catch one on clearance sale !
[I was looking for the Play:3 . I have a Play:5 . Do you know how the 3 compares to a 5? glad they are updating the 3. I hope they give it a line in port.

Sonos hasn't officially stated that there is going to be a new play:3 yet. It's all speculation at this point.

I kept wanting to get one for my basement area, but kept not. Maybe I can catch one on clearance sale !

I don't think that will happen. Sonos itself is already out of stock and difficult to find in other retail outlets apparently. Clearance items are typically because they can't get rid of the stock.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A quick peek at ebay and it looks like some of the Play 3 and Play 5 Gen 1 devices are selling for close to the same price, I'd get the 5 in that situation.
Badge
The play:3 is still for sale on the UK Sonos website, so until Sonos actually come out and say its discontinued I'd wait and see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Play 3 was available on the US website until one evening when it changed to "out of stock" and then a few days later it disappeared from the page. No comment from Sonos that I've seen on it ever coming back or why it went away.

Do not depend on it remaining in stock if you need one, there will likely be no notice before it is removed.

You might be able to grab one from ebay or the like but you'd really want to talk to Sonos about warranty coverage and such before buying a new unit from there.
I'm disappointed by the decision to d/c the Play:3. My Gen 1 Play 5 is starting to show its age and I was planning on replacing it witha 3. I emailed Sonos sales and the suggestion was to get two One's. Because of issues I have had with the SonosNet not working with more than a few devices simultaneously, I've been forced to hardwire some of the units using power line ethernet. So adding two more units is a no go for me and I have absolutely no desire to have a smart speaker anywhere in my home. So it looks like it may be time for me to start looking at replacement systems.
Your real problem is on your network, as SonosNet is well suited to large systems. I advise contacting Sonos Support..