Play 3 Discontinued?

• 25 October 2017
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Just went to Best Buy today, and the Play 3 has been REMOVED from the new Sonos display--just a Play 1, Play 5, and the new ONE. The guy told me it's still for sale, but it's being discontinued. Anybody else heard this? Is it going to be replaced with another Play 3 type "middle of the road" speaker, I wonder?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

31 replies

No.
Play One doesn’t please me .. I own a Play 5 and it’s big for some rooms.. Play 3 it’s perfect and sounds better than One ... just wait for a new Play 3 with Airplay for 3 of myt litlle rooms
Any news about it?
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Update on availability at base exchanges: I was in one today that had a stack of at least 30 on the floor, priced at $229, as they have been since Christmas season. If you want a 3 and have access to AAFES, I’d try there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a couple Gen 1 Play 5s and a pair of Play 3s as well sa some 1s and I don't think most folks would find a single Play 3 a good replacement for a single Play 5, the mono sound really gets old fast even compared to the weak stereo you get from a single Play 5.

Play 3s are still available from third party sellers, some authorized sellers that should provide warranty coverage and others that may not be authorized to sell Sonos which might be a problem at some point.

Listening to my Play 1s, they aren't bad sounding compared to the 3 or 5, a bit weaker on the low end maybe.

If Sonos support can't solve your WiFi networking issues then you are in a bad situation, I'd submit a diagnostic and call them again if it has been a while since your last effort, much has changed.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Just bought a refurbished Play 3 from Sonos for $199.00. I've got a paired set of Play 3's that I am quite pleased with.

$199.00 is a good reason for me to add more. 🆒
I spent about a year working with tech support. The only solution was to hardwire via powerline ethernet.
Your real problem is on your network, as SonosNet is well suited to large systems. I advise contacting Sonos Support..
I'm disappointed by the decision to d/c the Play:3. My Gen 1 Play 5 is starting to show its age and I was planning on replacing it witha 3. I emailed Sonos sales and the suggestion was to get two One's. Because of issues I have had with the SonosNet not working with more than a few devices simultaneously, I've been forced to hardwire some of the units using power line ethernet. So adding two more units is a no go for me and I have absolutely no desire to have a smart speaker anywhere in my home. So it looks like it may be time for me to start looking at replacement systems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Play 3 was available on the US website until one evening when it changed to "out of stock" and then a few days later it disappeared from the page. No comment from Sonos that I've seen on it ever coming back or why it went away.

Do not depend on it remaining in stock if you need one, there will likely be no notice before it is removed.

You might be able to grab one from ebay or the like but you'd really want to talk to Sonos about warranty coverage and such before buying a new unit from there.
Badge
The play:3 is still for sale on the UK Sonos website, so until Sonos actually come out and say its discontinued I'd wait and see.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A quick peek at ebay and it looks like some of the Play 3 and Play 5 Gen 1 devices are selling for close to the same price, I'd get the 5 in that situation.
[I was looking for the Play:3 . I have a Play:5 . Do you know how the 3 compares to a 5? glad they are updating the 3. I hope they give it a line in port.

Sonos hasn't officially stated that there is going to be a new play:3 yet. It's all speculation at this point.

I kept wanting to get one for my basement area, but kept not. Maybe I can catch one on clearance sale !

I don't think that will happen. Sonos itself is already out of stock and difficult to find in other retail outlets apparently. Clearance items are typically because they can't get rid of the stock.
Badge +1
I kept wanting to get one for my basement area, but kept not. Maybe I can catch one on clearance sale !
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For me a single Play 5 sounds a lot better as a single speaker, the stereo imaging isn't great but it isn't completely flat like a Play 3.

In pairs the 3 is great for smaller rooms like my 10x10 foot office where a pair of Play 5s would be overkill on sound and take up a lot more space. I could get by with a pair of Play 1s in here but the Play 3s just sound better to me, with more low end.

If you add a Sub what I'm hearing around here is that the Play 1s or Sonos Ones are great and the Play 3 doesn't add a lot to justify the extra cost.
I've got a pair in my bedroom that sound wonderful. Not anxious to replace them, either :)
I was looking for the Play:3 . I have a Play:5 . Do you know how the 3 compares to a 5? glad they are updating the 3. I hope they give it a line in port.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd guess that folks selling Play 3s today have some back stock and once it is gone they are done. I wonder if any from the supply chain will show up at any of the remainder sites at a good price and new warranty?
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Still on AAFES site, at $229, but they do lag a bit behind other resellers.
I've got a pair in my bedroom that sound wonderful. Not anxious to replace them, either 🙂
Badge
Well, now, that's fascinating. Thanks for the catch, MusicFreak! You bet. I'm pretty sure they will release another one that sits between the 1 and 5, presumably better then the current 3. My intent wasn't to dump on he 3 though, its a good speaker, just not as good as the others in my opinion. I bet you can score a good deal on used 3's on eBay.
Well, now, that's fascinating. Thanks for the catch, MusicFreak!
Badge
Looks like Sonos officially removed it. I won't loose any sleep over this, most underwhelming speaker they make.
Sonos has not yet confirmed which speakers will work with AirPlay 2, except to say "the latest speakers". We are presuming the Sonos One, and hoping that both the PLAYBASE and PLAY:5 Gen 2 are included. I suspect that the Sonos team is still working on it, and is unwilling to release further information until they can confirm that it will definitely work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Airplay will require a Sonos unit with new hardware.

As I said above we think this applies to Sonos:1 (NOT the Play:1), the Play 5 Gen 2 and the Playbase (Don't quote me on this).

* I am not a Sonos employee nor affiliated in any way. I just frequent these boards. So if you will need Airplay but must buy a Sonos unit NOW then I suggest you confirm the that the unit you are looking at will be forward compatible in that regards direct with Sonos
Please clarify, will airplay work directly with play 1 and 5, but nowt with play 3 ??
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Hmm, the BX just dropped the prices of the Play:1 to 129, the Play:3 to 229 and the Connect to 329, and the website doesn't say SALE in bright red next to the pricing like it does for the Soundbar, Soundbase and ONE. Kind of indicates that the $x29 is the new AAFES price point, but I'm not sure.