Answered

Play 1 Wifi connection issues

• 24 June 2020
  • 8 replies

Good afternoon

I have 5 Play 1 speakers and a player. 

the play bar and 2 speakers have been set up and connected to Wifi, however i can’t seem to connect the other 3 when i try. They are found by the app but then as i continue with set up i’m told that it can’t connect, i get the same message and issues even if i plug them into the router.

icon

Best answer by Stufc27 25 June 2020, 15:18

So I contacted Sonos today and they sorted the issue.

Sonos only works on  2.4Ghz And my phone and iPad were using 5Ghz so the apps couldn’t connect with the speakers. I turned off the 5Ghz setting and my phone and iPad joined the 2.4Ghz set-up therefore allowing connectivity.

View original

8 replies

It seems as though you may have set them up as separate systems (households) in the Sonos software, with the PLAYBAR and associated speakers in one, and the rest in the other. 

I would recommend unplugging the PLAYBAR and any speakers bonded to it, and then open the controller and see if the other speakers show up. If they do, I’d recommend doing a factory reset of the devices that are unplugged at that moment, and add them back to the existing system using the ‘add a product’ feature in the controller.

However, it’s possible I’ve misinterpreted your data, if so, please post back with more information. 

Hi Bruce, thanks for your reply,

I have had all 5 Play 1’s working before. but now only the 2 that are connected with the playbar work.

The 3 unconnected play 1’s are detected by the app but when I then have to simultaneously press the play/ pause button and the volume up button, listen for the chime to set them up I get an error message saying unable to set up device. i’ve tried the alternative method via ethernet direct into my modem but it says the same message.

Ok, then I clearly misinterpreted your first post. My apologies. Although some of the answer still applies. 

My first recommendation is to reboot your router.

After that, based on your attempt to re-add them, it sounds like for these three devices you probably need to do a factory reset for each. I’m not sure what their state is at this point with what you’ve done, as well as their failure to be reconnected. This is simpler and quicker, since you already have other speakers set up. Once you’ve reset each device, just use the normal ‘add a product’ flow in your controller.

Hi Bruce

Thank you. I’ve now tried that with them all and still have the same issues. 

I’m not sure what else I can do.

Stu

I would contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more options available because they're on the phone with you, they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7. 

Ok I’ll do that. 

thank you for your help.

Stu

It looks like Twitter support was killed in yesterdays changes, so you may need to call in. 

So I contacted Sonos today and they sorted the issue.

Sonos only works on  2.4Ghz And my phone and iPad were using 5Ghz so the apps couldn’t connect with the speakers. I turned off the 5Ghz setting and my phone and iPad joined the 2.4Ghz set-up therefore allowing connectivity.