PLAY:1 wall mounted upside down in the bathroom!?

• 4 November 2013
  • 10 replies

Hi All,
I have added a Play:1 to my set up and mounted it in the bathroom, because the UK dont alllow sockets in the bathroom I have mounted in the top corner of the room(on the wall) and dropped the power lead down from the loft.

The speaker is mounted above head height, the problem here is that the bottom of the paly:1 looks unsightly with the sticker/plug/feet so I have mounted it upside down with the status light and buttons facing down. Also the buttons are reachable/usable and as sonos can be read both ways the speaker looks the correct way up!! Looks great!:)

My only concern is with the humidity proof claims, with the plug being on the top is there more potential for condensated water to seep in to the AC connection? Had several showers and seems fine but thought I would gather a few peoples opinions??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

gav_in59,

The PLAY:1 operates at a slightly elevated temperature. I don't think that there will be a severe condensation issue. If condensation was a huge problem, you would already have mold on the walls.
Userlevel 2
Condensation is likely to be a problem long term, but not short term.
Once the unit is not being used it will cool down and and residual vapour will condense on it. The fact that the power socket is now at the top, is the worst scenario for this.

My only suggestion would be to build a shroud around the plug/socket. Gaffer tape seems a possible solution
Userlevel 2
Hi gav-in 59
I just bought sonos play:1 speaker and want to install it upside down like you did. What bracket did you use to wall mount it?
THe bracket from Flexson (official sonos provider in the UK) only allows it to be mounted one way and not upside down.

Please advise.

Thank you
Hi Sardkar,
I used a bracket from ebay...
w w w.ebay.co.uk/itm/321404107913[/url]

For reference the Play1 has been in the bathroom mounted upside down since November with no issues!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
If you are concerned, why not seal up the power cord/Play 1 socket with silicone sealer?
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Hi Sardkar,
I used a bracket from ebay...
w w w.ebay.co.uk/itm/321404107913[/url]

For reference the Play1 has been in the bathroom mounted upside down since November with no issues!

Hi gav_in59 ... I have some of those brackets ... but the problem I have is finding bolts which will fit the Play 1's ... the thread doesn't seem to be metric .... where did you find the bolts? Thanks
Yeah I struggled with bolts too, no real info from Sonos either that helped. The closest I found was an M6 or a whitworth thread. It didnt feel great going in but was still secure and i got atleast 1cm of thread locked in to the speaker.
Badge +2
Yeah I struggled with bolts too......

The Sonos Play:1 Product Guide (in the U.S., anyway) says:
"Standard 1/4”-20 threaded mounting socket".

I did a search on amazon.co.uk and found a couple of them that should work, although you'll probably have to shim and/or hack saw them to make the correct length:

- Stainless Steel Fairing Bolt 1/4" x (20TPI) x 5/8" by Pro-Bolt - £2.59 - In stock

- Trend - Bolt hex Unc1/4 -20 x 1 CRT - WP-CRT/24 by Trend - £2.31
Only 1 left in stock - order soon.
More buying choices
£0.78 new (7 offers)
Product Description
Replacement hex bolt for the CRT. Dimensions: UNC 1/4 -20 x 1

Otherwise, I have a couple extras (only a bit too long) that I could give to my kids who will be visiting from Cardiff to post to you after they return to the U.K....but that won't be until September :)

Cheers.
Hi gav-in 59
I just bought sonos play:1 speaker and want to install it upside down like you did. What bracket did you use to wall mount it?
THe bracket from Flexson (official sonos provider in the UK) only allows it to be mounted one way and not upside down.

Please advise.

Thank you

There are 2 screws under the sticker. So you CAN invert the tilt mechanism as well.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Old thread, but just to chip in: I bought camera equipment d-ring bolts, (cheap 1/4" from china) and made a small metal bracket that holds the Sonos only 8mm from the wall.
There's no problem with moisture even with two people showering and the Sonos fitted on the wall facing outside.
The weight of the Sonos 1 is more than enough to keep it safely on the screws, as you have to use keyhole solution to hang it that close.