Answered

Play 1 vs Play 5

• 4 July 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge +3
Do the play 5's (second gen) offer a higher quality surround sound experience than the play 1,s? I currently have the play 1's in a fairly large room and they're ....eh, ok but I was curious nonetheless.
For music, the play 1's are more than enough with the sound bar and Sub, but I feel the surround can or should offer more.
Thanks
icon

Best answer by jgatie 4 July 2017, 15:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I would say a Play:5 is overkill for surrounds. Surround sound is for effects and ambiance. It's not supposed to be on at all times, it is tuned to the action or atmosphere. You won't get more active surrounds by using a more capable speaker, if that is what you are looking for.
It is likely that in full mode that is recommended for music play the 5 units will have more to offer; in surround mode the limited content fed to them will mean that the 1 units are adequate to the task.
Badge +3
Thank you both. I've heard the same . The repose has been consistent to what you both mentioned. The music experience has been second to none but that home theatre just underwhelms a bit.
that home theatre just underwhelms a bit.
That's the price to pay for the lesser clutter and cabling.
Badge +3
Indeed true