Play:1 to be discontinued?

• 8 October 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Can Sonos tell us if the Play:1 will continue to be sold alongside the Sonos One for the foreseeable future?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

No official word yet, though sites like Amazon have started discounting them, which is usually a sign.
The only reason to now get one is for people to stereo pair it with existing units, so I expect Sonos to keep it on the shelves for people who have realised this to do that.

Thereafter the ones that did not wake up in time to do this will of course do a lot of clamouring for one.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Mounting options, without the screw-thread, are more limited with the One. This would certainly drive my decision towards a Play:1 still. At least until we can see what solutions the stand manfufacturers can come up with. I fear that mounting/stand options will always be compromised however due to the lack of a thread.
I hope not. I wish I'd bought another Play One rather than a Sonos One, which has been nothing but trouble. Two faulty in 2 months. Never had any issues with Sonos in a decade but 2 Sonos One's and Sonos already issuing a 2nd generation of the Sonos One has left me feeling that this product ain't all it's cracked up to be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Two faulty in 2 months.
Really? I'm curious about what went wrong in each case? I don't think there have been widespread issues or there'd be other reports on this forum.
Two faulty in 2 months.
Really? I'm curious about what went wrong in each case? I don't think there have been widespread issues or there'd be other reports on this forum.
Agreed. The laws of statidtics mean that given the volume of sales even a low probability of failure will produce a few users with multiple failures. (Or rather, there is s high probability that it will.)

So that's unfortunate and frustrating for those few users, but to generalise from such rare experiences would be fslse.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
Play:1 is far better as a surround due to it's mounting as had been said. I bought a One for the price of a Play:1 recently so there's nothing in it price wise..
I'm not convinced that mounting methods is the measurement I judge surround speakers by :)

I own both PLAY:1s and Sonos Ones. I've had no issues mounting either of them.