Answered

Play:1 stereo pair with Sonos One

Userlevel 3
Will it be possible to pair a ‘One’ with a Play:1 to create a stereo pair?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 8 May 2018, 19:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

177 replies

This is preventing me from purchasing a Sonos One as its not compatible with my Play One for stereo pair.Just out of curiosity, what is stopping you from buying a Play:1 and an Echo Dot?
Nothing. I want a stereo pair. If I decide to move forward with the stereo pair am going to buy a less expensive on sale play 1 instead of the more expensive one that I believe Sonos would prefer I buy. All because I cannot pair my play 1 with a Sonos one.
Nothing. I want a stereo pair. If I decide to move forward with the stereo pair am going to buy a less expensive on sale play 1 instead of the more expensive one that I believe Sonos would prefer I buy. All because I cannot pair my play 1 with a Sonos one.
Personally, I would choose to buy the more expensive Sonos One and set it up as a separate Sonos room. Group it with the Play:1 Room .. it will sound just as good as a “grouped pair“ and then I would also have the benefit of voice Control via Alexa right now, or Google Home later down the line.

This sort of setup would also be able to take full advantage of AirPlay-2 coming to Sonos in the not too distant future... as talked about in these two official Sonos documents:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/airplay

https://blog.sonos.com/en-gb/airplay2-coming

I think the extra expenditure on a Sonos One is going to be worth it.
I'm adding nothing new to this thread but just agreeing with what everyone else is saying. I was keen to buy a second Play:1 to complete my sound system, but now that the Sonos One is out I feel that I am in limbo. I no longer want to buy a Play:1 knowing there is a better, voice-activated speaker available (and will be the focus of updates). But then I don't want to buy two voice-activated speakers for the same room, and then have a spare Play:1 left over (to put in a cupboard?!). If the Sonos One was able to pair with the Play:1, I would buy it today!
Badge
I got tired of having to borrow an iPhone with Sonosequencr to pair my 1 and One, so I wrote a Python script that does the same thing. Works just fine. Thought I'd post it here if anyone needs it.

https://github.com/erikmansson/pair-sonos
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Just a short post to confirm that Sonosequencr still works since the 9.0 AirPlay 2 update for stereo pairing a Play:1 and a One.

Worth £1.79 imho if Sonos won’t officially let us do it.
Userlevel 1
I got tired of having to borrow an iPhone with Sonosequencr to pair my 1 and One, so I wrote a Python script that does the same thing. Works just fine. Thought I'd post it here if anyone needs it.

Erik, you're a hero. Sonos keeps telling me it's technically impossible to pair the Sonos:1 and Sonos:one. You and Sonosequencr prove otherwise. Who are they kidding. Sonos makes great speakers but are deaf to customer wishes. Hope they improve.
I appreciate that pairing a Sonos One with a Play:1 is not supported by Sonos, but will doing that also void their warranty and is it possible that pairing two different speakers may actually cause some damage to either one?

I am told the hardware in the new Sonos One is completely different to the Play:1 and wondering if that may introduce a future issue with continual use of the two mismatched speakers being paired together?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's not likely that a mismatched pair will void the warranty, but just like disabling the wireless card, it's not supported and Sonos might ask for it to be undone before they provide any support for issues you might be experiencing. I'd be extremely surprised if any kind of physical damage were done as a result of creating a mismatched pair.

Future issues would not likely arise as a result of a mismatched pair... but Sonos could certainly remove the functionality - either intentionally or as a result of a different change - without notice, preventing one from re-creating a mismatched stereo pair.

I tried many times but it is always giving me a syntax error. I am doing it from the mobile app. Soco and request is installed. I don't know a thing about python. Just typing exactly as your link suggest. Please help
Badge

I tried many times but it is always giving me a syntax error. I am doing it from the mobile app. Soco and request is installed. I don't know a thing about python. Just typing exactly as your link suggest. Please help

Hmm, what do you mean by that you are doing it from the mobile app? Sorry for my late reply btw.
Hi ErikMansson

Can you clarify how to use the python script
Were do you have to use it, in the mobile phone or run it on the sonos speaker

I have an android phone, so i a m looking for an alternative to sonosequencr to be able to use my SOnos Play 1 and Sonos one as a stereo pair.

I bought the Sonos play 1 ignoring this issue and now cannot return it or change it for a second one
Badge
Hi ErikMansson

Can you clarify how to use the python script
Were do you have to use it, in the mobile phone or run it on the sonos speaker

I have an android phone, so i a m looking for an alternative to sonosequencr to be able to use my SOnos Play 1 and Sonos one as a stereo pair.

I bought the Sonos play 1 ignoring this issue and now cannot return it or change it for a second one

The scripts are meant to run on a regular computer (Windows/macOS/Linux should all work) on the same network as your Sonos system.
[quote=erikmansson]Hi ErikMansson

The scripts are meant to run on a regular computer (Windows/macOS/Linux should all work) on the same network as your Sonos system.

Ok, i will try to see if i can make it work. And once apply, the stereo pairing setting will be permanent on both Speakers, or just for the music you would play form that computer?

Sorry about all these questions, but i don;t have much experience in Sonos systems or Phyton
Badge

Ok, i will try to see if i can make it work. And once apply, the stereo pairing setting will be permanent on both Speakers, or just for the music you would play form that computer?

Sorry about all these questions, but i don;t have much experience in Sonos systems or Phyton

The pairing will persist until unpairing again, regardless of who's playing
Will it be possible to pair a ‘One’ with a Play:1 to create a stereo pair?

So, what I’m hearing is the common folk, who purchase the product, are the figurative “canary in the coal mines” to identify a very deliberate built-in software incompatibility.

Hard to imagine the superior Sonos One cannot adjust (albeit decreasing the overal sound quality - we understand the tech is not the same) to pair with a Play:1 in stereo.

Perhaps give the users what they want with a software patch update?
Its been a common request since Sonos released the One, there has been no indication that Sonos will consider it.
Well, I wish I had read this thread before, just received a one today, still in the box, I have no use for it if it can't be paired with a play one, I am returning it.
I am also in the "Why can't I pair my Play 1 with a Sonos One" camp. 2 voice assistants in same room makes no sense. Kitchen counter has an Echo Gen 1. The open family room next to it has the sonos Play 1 rear surround 2 feet away. I'd prefer a rear surround pair where 1 of them was smart. Then I'd happily by more over time, and making additional stereo pairs in the house would keep me in the Sonos family. I'd love to extend my investment and increase my whole house footprint.

This works well for me, thanks! Now, waiting for Sonos to allow this from their App... obviously not "Technically Impossible"

😃
Just in case someone stumbles upon this thread like me: It looks like the Sonos 10.1 update broke some part of the SoCo Library that @erikmansson's script was using for pairing. If you're like me, you might have to apply this patch for it to start working again:

https://github.com/SoCo/SoCo/issues/660#issuecomment-480029570

------

That being said, I managed to pair my One and Play:1, but I think I might have heard why Sonos isn't letting us do just that. It might be subjective or due to my specific location, but to me it sounded like there were phase issues within the stereo image. I ended up unpairing the stereo group and moving it back into a regular old 2xMono group. Sometimes restrictions make sense, even if we don't see the reason immediately 😉
I have a new Sonos One and a previously purchased Play:1 I can group them and play through both just fine but somewhere here I was told that you can play music from iTunes through the Sonos one to the Play:1 only without the Sonos One playing anything. i do NOT want to use the Sonos app to play the music only iTunes. Could someone direct me to the instruction on how to do this. Thanks.
I was about to order a Sonos One to pair with my existing plan:1 but luckily did a little search before it and saw this thread.

So even more than one year later the issue is still valid. To me it's a VERY stupid decision not to allow to pair one and 1. Not only impact the sales of One but more importan is ruining the customers confidence and trust on Sonos!!
Was disappointed that I would not be able to stereo pair with either of my Play 1's with One so never bothered to purchase. Felt let down by Sonos. Now I need to know if the Move would pair with Play 1. I will feel really cheated if backward compatibility has not been considered again. If not this could be the end of my Sonos home set up and loyalty. I'll certainly yet again not purchase a new product. I have 2 Play 1's and one Play 5 and hub. This was for me a real investment. Can anyone tell me if the Move and P1 can be paired as Stereo? Fingers firmly crossed.
They can be grouped together, but not made a stereo pair. As before, the sound of each speaker is different enough that a stereo pair would not be effective.