Answered

Play:1 stereo pair with Sonos One

Userlevel 3
Will it be possible to pair a ‘One’ with a Play:1 to create a stereo pair?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 8 May 2018, 19:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

177 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No, the stream isn't routed through the phone, unless you're playing from "Music on this iPhone". For all intents and purposes, it works as if it's a proper stereo pair.

I've had my Sonos One and a Play:1 Tone, both black, paired together for a couple of weeks now without any issues.
As a customer of both the Play:1 and the One, I would like to add my support for the idea of bonding Play:1 and One devices. It makes no sense to me to have two Alexa-enabled devices in the same room. Unless the rooms were GIGANTIC, it simply makes no sense, and I would have been more likely to have 2 or 3 of each, where as now, I'm pretty stopped at 2 of the Play:1 and one of the Ones since the Ones would be no more than 15 feet apart at most. It limits the devices unnecessarily.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Add me to the list of people who would be interested in being able to pair a 1 & One
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Use iOS app sonosequencer to force pair them.
The issue I have with my Sonos one pair is that when I had a single speaker I could use full voice commands but now it feels like Alexa doesn’t know what she’s doing because if I tell her to play somthing she says the whole “music is streaming on another device” and keeps repeating hereself like that until I give up and use the Sonos app. And I can’t tell her to pause my music because she says “no music is currently playing” having 2 has rendered the voice commands useless
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
This kind of sucks 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Strange. You may want to go into alexa app and disable then re-enable the Sonos skill.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Personally, if you have two Sonos One's in one room, I would just go through and mute the microphone on one of them. That way the same speaker is always answering you and there should be no confusion on Alexa's part as a result. I would mute whichever speaker is the right one in your pair... the left speaker is the primary speaker in a stereo pair.
Add me on too. The idea of having stereo fits in with having a good quality sound regardless of the room size. You wouldn’t buy a mono hi fi for a small room but you may want to have a voice control stereo system. Being able to link a play:1 and a one would be ideal rather than have another echo (I already have 2) and another play:1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Again. It’s a non issue. Sonosequencer will force link them.
Userlevel 1
I look forward to getting a Sonos One if the ability to create a stereo pair with a Sonos:1 is added in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So your making your purchase decision based off not using a $2 app to make what you want work.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Add me to the list, I have two Play: 5’s, a Play:1, and a One. I have them all grouped in one room, but I would like the ability to stereo pair the Play: 1 and One natively without a third party app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Then you are going to be out of luck. Again - why won't anyone answer why they won't use the third party app other than "out of principle". I take fixing my problem today vs. never fixing "out of principle"
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Chris, if you reread my post, I would rather have the native ability, not that I would not consider looking at sonosequencr which I am currently doing. Please don’t get so butt hurt because people want more functionality in a product they invested in.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I understand wanting it natively but we pretty much know highly unlikely we get.
OK this is really disappointing, and needs to be mentioned front and center on packaging, in instructions, in channel marketing materials such as Amazon.com pages, etc. Now I'm out $150 because I bought a Play:1 to pair with a One I received as a gift. Now I have to spend another $150 to create a stereo pair (because I'm not going to spend $200 for a One), and I guess I'll give the One to somebody else. The devices should all just work together...and deliver on the brand promise of seamless connectivity. This is one of those needless papercuts that just turns people off.
OK this is really disappointing, and needs to be mentioned front and center on packaging, in instructions, in channel marketing materials such as Amazon.com pages, etc. Now I'm out $150 because I bought a Play:1 to pair with a One I received as a gift. Now I have to spend another $150 to create a stereo pair (because I'm not going to spend $200 for a One), and I guess I'll give the One to somebody else. The devices should all just work together...and deliver on the brand promise of seamless connectivity. This is one of those needless papercuts that just turns people off.

They all do work together. You simply have to pair like models with like models. The One is not a Play:1, despite similar looks.

However, the good news is you can buy the SonoSequencr app and it will pair any model with any other model you want. Problem solved, no need to buy another Play:1 and no need to give away your One.
I've just purchased a Sonos One on the (wrong) assumption that it could be paired with an existing Play:1; so I will be returning it.

SonoSequencr does not appear to be available on Android so cannot help me 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I believe there's an Android app called Macronos that can do this as well... along with creating macros for a variety of other Sonos functions too.
Badge
Badge
Used Sonos One will cost around $150 or even less on eBay. Or use the Sonosequenr (sp?) app. I would prefer to get another used One to make a stereo pair then mute the mic in one. If I alre@dy had a Play 1, I’d spend $2 for the app.
Sonos Tech saying there are technical reasons why this is not possible. I can’t think what, since you can already group them.

People saying this is the same thing; It’s Not!!!
Badge
I have a Sonos One in a room without stereo pairs. I have stereo pairs of Sonos Play 1s in several other rooms. If a One could pair with a Play One, I'd buy at least three, probably five more. Since they cannot pair, I am not planning to purchase any more of them. I cannot speak for the everyone, but this inability to pair with a Play 1 is costing Sonos a number of sales from me.
I have 2 Play 5s, a Play 1 and Sonos One in my kitchen (along with a sub off to the side). It may be a hint overkill, but the sound is amazing! I have the 5's paired as right and left and assumed that I'd be able to do that with the One and Play1 since they are essentially the same speaker. It's very disappointing that I can't. I certainly don't need the functionality or cost of two Sonos One's in such a small space. Please fix this inadequacy.