Answered

Play:1 stereo pair with Sonos One

Userlevel 3
Will it be possible to pair a ‘One’ with a Play:1 to create a stereo pair?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 8 May 2018, 19:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

177 replies

Badge
I was just about to pre-order a pair thinking I could create two stereo pairs by combining with my existing pair of Play 1s. Just lost £400 of Sales that may have led to more. A missed opportunity.

Same here . somewhat greatly dissatisfying, as is now!

SONOS: Kindly consider a trade in program, considering your upscale margin approach, if you DO want to ENSURE consistency, don't make the customer pay for it... and allow a gradual senseful expansion of the existing user base.
I am sure that many users, as per this thread you can see, would greatly appreciate it!

p.s. The more frustrating, as I just began being a Sonos customer back in August with several Play 1 and Play 5 - which I now partially would upgrade to stereo sets on the most recent technology.
This morning I bought the third party SonoSequencr IOS app and within 5 minutes I had my Sonos ONE and Play:1 running as stereo pair. It sounds great to me.
I seriously did not thought this functionality would be missing! The only point of the one is to enhance your system, disappointed.
It is an ABSOLUTE shame on SONOS that it has restricted us LOYAL customers from pairing our new PLAY 1 ( 2 month old ) to New SONOS ONE for 5.1 . Today I left back the SONOS ONE speaker I had picked to buy at the UK top Retail outlet as I feel cheated that after buying so many SONOS Products which should get better actually seem I have redundant PLAY 1 , that to within one month.

SONOS and SONOS CEO, are you LISTENING ?
We your customers are feeling cheated .

Do something fast ir it will be an absolute shame on your company to treat us customers so badly.

Shame .

Regards
VIkVik
Badge
I understand that there are technical issues that would need to be overcome, but I think it is worth noting that I think this backwards compatibility feature would lead to more sales of the Sonos One, not less. I own a bunch of Play:1s and I would be really tempted to get a matching Sonos One for each if it could mean I'd get stereo pairs with built-in Alexa support. But there's no way I'm going to pay to replace each of my current Play:1s with Sonos Ones just to get Alexa support if I can get similar functionality by just adding an Echo Dot.

Totally agreed. Sonos, PLEASE add the ability to pair a One with a Play:1 and to use them together in a 5.1 surround.
Very disappointed to hear this feature is not available. Please add me to list to be notified if Play 1 can be paired with Sonos One. I was about to order some Sonos One speakers until I found out this essential feature was not implemented.
Add another very disappointed user to the list.

This seemed like such obvious functionality to me that I didn't even feel the need to verify it before i ordered my "ONE". Needless to say, I was quite surprised. If Sonos is this paranoid about audio purity and thus between the minor sound differences of the Play 1 and the ONE, make me click a stupid box with something like "By connecting these two speakers as a stereo pair I realize that I may experience less than ideal audio performance. To improve performance connect two of the same model Sonos speakers- you half-deaf plebian" At least give me the option, I'm a big boy.

I own well over $1k in Sonos equipment and its this sort of thing that makes me start to feel regret.

PS. I have found my Play ONE is much worse at picking up "Alexa" commands than the 1st Gen Amazon Echo it replaced. Another disappointment.
Not any more. I bought a one for 299.00 and a play one so I could have a stereo pair 70 cheaper than two ones as the play one is now 229 and the room is so tiny that if do finally get voice working here I can’t see needing 2 mics in a 3 x 3 room. Since I bought the one from Sonos, the packing it up to trade it in for a play one for stereo is going to be a pain. If only they had allowed a one to work with a play one for small rooms. 😠
Is there an easy way to return the 2000.00 worth of speakers to get my money back. Sonos was awesome 3 years ago when I first got interested in them but now it’s full of this speaker can’t create a stereo pair with this identically sized speaker because this one has a mic and may have a different stereo signature. And this mic don’t work in your country and we can’t say when it will, if it ever does. Too many new things that are causing too many pains in my rear end. My mistake was buying each speaker from a different seller. Now returning this stuff is gonna be a hassle. Unless Sonos folks can tell me an easier way. 😠
I'll be holding off buying one until this feature is here; I've a stereo pair in the kitchen so I don't need 2 with voice... it either needs a technical fix (i.e make it work) or offer a commercial fix by allowing us to trade in the ones we don't need to replace because of the technical limitation :?
It looks like I'm not alone to be holding off with the new Sonos 1. I was about to purchase one to create a stereo pair with my Play one. But I'll be thinking of some other options now.
Userlevel 1
I also think it's a shame. Just bought the 'one' and I'm very disappointed. Get it fixed Sonos!
Add me as another disappointed by this - seemed so obvious you should be able to create a stereo pair using a One and a play:1. Id hoped to do this in my kitchen, but no go. Hopefully this is re-considered
Userlevel 1
Just asked the Sonos support team if Sonos gonna do something about it. The answer: "We do not share any plans for future releases or features. We will let our customers know if/when this will be rolled out." Makes me feel not really important as a customer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just asked the Sonos support team if Sonos gonna do something about it. The answer: "We do not share any plans for future releases or features. We will let our customers know if/when this will be rolled out." Makes me feel not really important as a customer.
Don't feel bad... it's only the same response that anyone asking about adding any new feature has received for years. Sonos doesn't announce future plans (the last thing said on this specific request is that it's "being considered"), whether or not certain features will be added, or when they will be added. The usual response is that they've noted the request and will pass it on to the developers.

At least with this request, there was enough noise that the CEO felt the need to say that it's being considered. Whether it happens or not is still up in the air.

I'm enjoying my stereo pair with a Play:1 and Sonos One thanks to SonoSequencr though.
Damn. I was about to expand with 3 Ones to make 3 stereo pairs with existing Play 1s. I want voice in at least 3 rooms, and that was a nice excuse to buy more speakers. But now I'm just going to buy 3 Google Play Minis. Sonos, you need to watch out: Silo thinking like this will end you. People will just start buying Google Homes instead of Sonos altogether. And hurry up with your software updates! You are starting to look like Blackberry circa 2010.
Testing another setup that allows me multiroom + alexa + Soundbar with HDMI, you don't have much time left Sonos!
+1 Just helping to make sure Sonos picks up on how many people actually want stereo pairing of Play:1 and Play One to be possible, nee, allowed.. I already feel burned by the lack of DTS support when using the Sonos ecosystem as a surround setup, please don't add the clearly immoral move of not allowing for the aforementioned to the list. Not allowing for it isn't due to a technical limitation but simply a misguided commercial one that makes a lot of users feel cheated.
It’s all been said already, so I’ll just add a disappointed “me, too” so they’ll see it.
I think you guys are being unreasonable. What other piece of technology can you use from 2004 with full functionality in 2017? Sonos have never allowed the pairing of different models. The Sonos One is a different model, even if it looks the same. I would love it if they would allow it, but why not allow the Play 5 and Play 3 to also create stereo pairs with the Sonos One in that case? I think we are targeting a company that has demonstrated a remarkable and unique desire to extend the life of 10+ year old products. Apple makes similarly sized form factor iPhones and they don't even allow the next gen software (iOS 11) to run on a 5 year old device. And yet no one insists that the iPhone needs to change to a be a less similar form factor.

I've spent over $6000 in Sonos equipment, and I have several Play 1s, Play 3s, and even a Play 5. I would personally love if they'd allow a Sonos One to pair, but the tone of some of these 'requests'; "Attention: Sonos. You just lost a potential sale because something I WANT, (hat has never been promised to me) I DID NOT GET. And if don't get exactly what I WANT, I'm going to boycott your product." Who talks like that? Has anyone is the history of their job ever been talked to like that and thought "Gee, I really want to go above and beyond my job responsibilities to help that person get their demand met?"

Here's a thought. Go buy those other products then. If those companies have demonstrated a dedication to updating 13 year old hardware with new functionality, works as reliably as Sonos, and satisfies your demands in a superior way, support those companies. But don't come here into a forum, spend the time to sign-up and post, and whine about something you feel entitled to, from a company that's doing it better (not perfect, but better) that every single tech company out there. The ZP100 came out 3 years before the first iPhone, 4 years before the first Zune was even developed, and 4 years before Spotify. I'm going to go listen to ARIZONA on my ZP100 linked to my Sonos SUB (a device that didn't even exist) via Spotify Connect now. I can't even use an old iPhone 3Gs, made 6 years later after my ZP100 to even open Spotify. Yeah, Sonos is the problem.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a Sonos 5.1 setup that includes a pair of Sonos Play:1's. Now that I know I can't just replace a Play:1 with Sonos One, I'm not going to buy a Sonos One. Right now I have my Sonos 5.1 setup with an Echo Dot. It would have been nice if I could replace Sonos Play:1 and Echo Dot with a single device (Sonos One).
I want to add my voice to all of the other Sonos customers who were surprised and disappointed that it is not possible to create a stereo pair between a Play:1 and One. I just purchased a Sonos One with the intent to create a stereo pair with an existing Play:1. It never occurred to me that this wouldn't be possible, given that the One is clearly positioned to replace the Play:1. Please Sonos, reconsider including this feature to make many of your existing customers happy!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just a reminder that there's an unofficial solution that does work in a third-party app called SonoSequencr. It allows creating a stereo pair between any mismatched Sonos speakers (like the Play:1 and Sonos One). It's not able to do 5.1 yet, but the author was looking for people to help test that functionality with the Playbase (he has a Playbar to test with that).

The app is available for iOS in the App Store. I don't believe there's an Android version available, unfortunately.

If you do invest in the app (there is a small cost for it), it has been recommended that you make the Sonos One the left speaker of the pair, as that is the primary speaker.
Just a reminder that there's an unofficial solution that does work in a third-party app called SonoSequencr. It allows creating a stereo pair between any mismatched Sonos speakers (like the Play:1 and Sonos One). It's not able to do 5.1 yet, but the author was looking for people to help test that functionality with the Playbase (he has a Playbar to test with that).

The app is available for iOS in the App Store. I don't believe there's an Android version available, unfortunately.

If you do invest in the app (there is a small cost for it), it has been recommended that you make the Sonos One the left speaker of the pair, as that is the primary speaker.

Interesting, but does it need to route the stream through the phone? That would be a non-starter...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like it may make a permanent pairing within Sonos. I haven't tried.