Answered

Play:1 stereo pair with Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

177 replies

Just a reminder that there's an unofficial solution that does work in a third-party app called SonoSequencr. It allows creating a stereo pair between any mismatched Sonos speakers (like the Play:1 and Sonos One). It's not able to do 5.1 yet, but the author was looking for people to help test that functionality with the Playbase (he has a Playbar to test with that).

The app is available for iOS in the App Store. I don't believe there's an Android version available, unfortunately.

If you do invest in the app (there is a small cost for it), it has been recommended that you make the Sonos One the left speaker of the pair, as that is the primary speaker.

Interesting, but does it need to route the stream through the phone? That would be a non-starter...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds like it may make a permanent pairing within Sonos. I haven't tried.
The issue I have with my Sonos one pair is that when I had a single speaker I could use full voice commands but now it feels like Alexa doesn’t know what she’s doing because if I tell her to play somthing she says the whole “music is streaming on another device” and keeps repeating hereself like that until I give up and use the Sonos app. And I can’t tell her to pause my music because she says “no music is currently playing” having 2 has rendered the voice commands useless
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
This kind of sucks 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Strange. You may want to go into alexa app and disable then re-enable the Sonos skill.
Add me on too. The idea of having stereo fits in with having a good quality sound regardless of the room size. You wouldn’t buy a mono hi fi for a small room but you may want to have a voice control stereo system. Being able to link a play:1 and a one would be ideal rather than have another echo (I already have 2) and another play:1.
Userlevel 1
I look forward to getting a Sonos One if the ability to create a stereo pair with a Sonos:1 is added in the future.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Then you are going to be out of luck. Again - why won't anyone answer why they won't use the third party app other than "out of principle". I take fixing my problem today vs. never fixing "out of principle"
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I understand wanting it natively but we pretty much know highly unlikely we get.
OK this is really disappointing, and needs to be mentioned front and center on packaging, in instructions, in channel marketing materials such as Amazon.com pages, etc. Now I'm out $150 because I bought a Play:1 to pair with a One I received as a gift. Now I have to spend another $150 to create a stereo pair (because I'm not going to spend $200 for a One), and I guess I'll give the One to somebody else. The devices should all just work together...and deliver on the brand promise of seamless connectivity. This is one of those needless papercuts that just turns people off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I believe there's an Android app called Macronos that can do this as well... along with creating macros for a variety of other Sonos functions too.
OK this is really disappointing, and needs to be mentioned front and center on packaging, in instructions, in channel marketing materials such as Amazon.com pages, etc. Now I'm out $150 because I bought a Play:1 to pair with a One I received as a gift. Now I have to spend another $150 to create a stereo pair (because I'm not going to spend $200 for a One), and I guess I'll give the One to somebody else. The devices should all just work together...and deliver on the brand promise of seamless connectivity. This is one of those needless papercuts that just turns people off.
Sonos Tech saying there are technical reasons why this is not possible. I can’t think what, since you can already group them.

People saying this is the same thing; It’s Not!!!
I have 2 Play 5s, a Play 1 and Sonos One in my kitchen (along with a sub off to the side). It may be a hint overkill, but the sound is amazing! I have the 5's paired as right and left and assumed that I'd be able to do that with the One and Play1 since they are essentially the same speaker. It's very disappointing that I can't. I certainly don't need the functionality or cost of two Sonos One's in such a small space. Please fix this inadequacy.

A few years ago I committed to putting Sonos throughout the house. I have play ones in most of the bedrooms, a play one and soundbar setup for one of the TV's, a connect amp, 2 connects and have just ordered another set of one's and a playbar for a surround setup and was hoping to pair one of the play ones with a One for the TV and use the other One in a bedroom.
The room with the TV is not big enough to warrant two Ones.
Feel such an idiot for not checking if you could pair a One and a play one. Will be using the Sonosequencr app at first, but hope Sonos come up with a solution.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ok I found out how to do the surround sound pairing with the Playbar from the developer.

Open Sonosequencer.... at the bottom of screen there is the word devices. Click on devices. List of your Sonos speakers will come up. click on the playbar/playbase speaker name. In the top section you see the word Config. Click on config. This will bring you to the configuration screen to setup your surround speakers in any combination you want.
Another vote for sonsequencr. Having bought a Sonos One assuming that it was the same as a play1 with Alexa, disappointed isn't the word to describe when i found out they couldn't be stereo paired as this was the other reason I had bought it. £1.99 for the app and i now have them stereo paired with the Sonos one playing left channel and play 1 on the right. the stereo sound stage is very apparent.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks Grayze
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
In my opinion. Because they would match. Now if you have a Sonos Tone ... that would tend to match at least on the exterior.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just pair them with sonosequencr. Did you read this actual thread.
Was disappointed that I would not be able to stereo pair with either of my Play 1's with One so never bothered to purchase. Felt let down by Sonos. Now I need to know if the Move would pair with Play 1. I will feel really cheated if backward compatibility has not been considered again. If not this could be the end of my Sonos home set up and loyalty. I'll certainly yet again not purchase a new product. I have 2 Play 1's and one Play 5 and hub. This was for me a real investment. Can anyone tell me if the Move and P1 can be paired as Stereo? Fingers firmly crossed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is no Sonos fix. Sonos has stated they are different speakers and should not be paired. End of story.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It’s not a half solution. It is the solution. Talk about snarky.
I understand that there are technical issues that would need to be overcome, but I think it is worth noting that I think this backwards compatibility feature would lead to more sales of the Sonos One, not less. I own a bunch of Play:1s and I would be really tempted to get a matching Sonos One for each if it could mean I'd get stereo pairs with built-in Alexa support. But there's no way I'm going to pay to replace each of my current Play:1s with Sonos Ones just to get Alexa support if I can get similar functionality by just adding an Echo Dot.

This is EXACTLY my position. I have 5 Play:1s in 5 rooms. If this functionality existed I would go out and buy 3 - 5 Sonos One's today. I originally bought my Play:1s with the intention of stereo pairing them in the future. This is my moment. Unfortunately only the larger rooms need stereo pairs, which happen to be the same rooms I'd want mic support in. I really think Sonos should do this, if it's possible. If it really is a technology limitation, I can accept that, but then please just make a statement saying this will "NEVER" happen and I can move on to other solutions. Right now I'm in a hopeful holding pattern.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos will not make them pairable in Sonos app. But sonosequencr will pair them just fine and there is no difference beteeen sonosequencer doing it and the Sonos app doing it. Once paired in sonosequencr they will show as stereo pair in the Sonos app. There is no problem here.