Play 1 Speakers

• 23 October 2021
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

We have a pair of Sonos speakers ( a One & One SL ) paired in our lounge controlled by a Amazon Echo., and am awaiting delivery of a Sonos 5 and Rega Turntable set up any day now.  Seen a pair of Sonos  Play 1 speakers for sale, they are in excellent condition, and at £120 look a good buy. Was thinking of getting them to pair up in Stereo for the kitchen, at present there is a wall mounted Amazon Echo Plus, which is not to good. I have a spare echo dot which would control the new Play 1’s. Biggest concern is that they are a few years old and i just wonder how long Sonos will support these with updates etc. Any advice appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Sonos have openly mentioned in the past that they will support their products for at least 5 years after they stop making them, but in fairness to Sonos they have (in a good many cases) gone many years beyond that time-period.

Play:1’s were last manufactured October 2017.

One thing I would ask of the seller, is if the ‘15% upgrade’ option on the devices has already been used, as that might be something you wish to consider too, prior to purchase. See this link:

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/upgrade

And the PLAY:1s do work under S1 or S2, I use a pair bonded with my Arc as surrounds. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Bought he speakers, previous owner had them from new, doesnt know anything about a 15% upgrade, so i doubt it has been used. I am not interested in changing them, have ordered a pair of wall mounts from Amazon. Have tried them out and sound is amazing. Thanks for the help.

Since you bought them ‘used’, make sure you factory reset them to erase any potential lingering things from the previous owner. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi

Thanks for that , i didnt set them up myself, after having difficulty in the past setting up a Amazon Echo dot to work our Sonos One and Sonos SL. A friend set them up for me, im sure he mentioned doing a full factory reset on them. They are working fine with the echo dot. He has also set up the Sonos 5 with cd player and Rega turntable, we are absolutley blown away with this set up, i dont think we will be bothereing getting another 5 to set up as stereo, it would be overkill as the room is not massive. Thanks for all the advice, its been really helpful

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

“Play:1’s were last manufactured October 2017”

im not sure that’s the case - I have a pair with build dates of Sep 2018

“Play:1’s were last manufactured October 2017”

im not sure that’s the case - I have a pair with build dates of Sep 2018

These are the dates I have for Play:1 - Are you sure the devices you have are not the early replacement -  Sonos One (gen1)?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Moderator Edit: Removed pictures with serial numbers

That’s odd isn’t it, as I was just referring to the Wikipedia site and the various device dates posted there, but maybe that’s simply wrong then.🤷‍♂️

It is hard to argue with pictures, isn’t it? :)

Not the first time wikipedia has been wrong, and likely not the last, either. On the other hand, I’ll still continue to use it as a source of “truth”, or something close to “truth”.

Wait, couldn’t we argue that @Huntsman180 photoshopped those? :)

I am pretty sure all my PLAY:1s are significantly older, but I’m pleased that they continue to be supported with S2. 

Now I need to go look at both my PLAY:1s that aren’t tied down to a mount/stand, and the Sonos Ones that are similarly situated, to see how disparate the dates on them are. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I believe the Play 1 was discontinued Sep 2019 when the One SL was announced. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

So there is still plenty of support for them if your worried about that.