Play:1 not quiet enough on lowest volume

• 9 October 2016
  • 28 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This may sound like a bizarre requirement but I like to drift off to sleep at night with the music on very low.
I find the Play:1 just a bit too loud on its lowest setting, even with the bass & treble dropped down and the loudness off.
Is there any other possible way of making it any lower?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How are you starting it? I set an alarm for bed. You could put the volume on level 1. Also move the speaker further away
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can also go into settings ..room settings and turn down the treble and bass levels (and make sure loudness is turned off) for the speaker to knock it down a bit.
This is not an uncommon complaint and is possibly why the new play:5 has far more sensitive volume adjustments at the lowest levels. This, naturally has caused just as many complaints about the play:5's volume control not going loud enough early enough.
You can also go into settings ..room settings and turn down the treble and bass levels (and make sure loudness is turned off) for the speaker to knock it down a bit.

He's already said he's done all that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sorry I missed that part
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks for the replies,
Yes I'd already tried all the suggestions except for trying the alarm setting on 1.... but I've just tested that now but that seems to be the same as the lowest setting before mute, and that's still a significant amount louder than my existing Hi-Fi's lowest volume level.

If it's not an uncommon complaint then surely it could be remedied with a software update?....although I know from experience that things are never that simple.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What is the source of the music you are playing. Various sources can tend to play at different levels.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The source is generally from my own library which I've ripped from my CD collection or Spotify, but whatever it is, it's just a bit too loud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
This has been mentioned quite a bit (certainly, the lowest volume on the Play 1 is louder than the Play 5) and I agree it is too loud. Unusually though, I'm not sure if Sonos has ever commented on it.
Was realizing this with my Play:1 in my bedroom last night, wished it would go quieter.
This has been reported on the forum quite a lot and I have also experienced this after trading in an old connect amp for play 1s and a sub. I do miss having that fine control at the lower end. It would seem that Sonos favour a preferable volume curve for belting it out. My neighbours disagree.
Not a bizarre requirement at all, I have just bought the Play 1 and I have exactly the same remark and when looking at this forum, a lot of people do. Would be nice if this could be included in a software update.
I have just bought the Play 1, and yes, it is loud at night when the others are sleeping. I would be very happy if I could listen music at night, but I cannot. I would not like to modify the loudness settings, especially at the low volume levels, and I would not like to bring the player further away, because the others will hear the same level, but I cannot reach the buttons on the unit (which is handy) 🙂 Sonos developers, please modify the play 1 lowest level, or create an attenuator option in setup! 🙂
Try using the Sonos app and not the physican buttons on the speaker. I wish physical buttons would do it too.
Or even put the speaker on the other side of the room. I found them too loud when on my bedside table, but when placed on the bureau on the other side of the room, it worked quite well.
Use the controller app and slide the volume button fully to mute on the left. It will take more than one tap to the right of the volume button on the app for anything to even be heard from the play 1 stereo pair on my desk.
I find the same very gradual increase using the +/- buttons on the phone; it just the buttons on the speaker that don't do this as well, but even these aren't that bad. From mute it took me 4 presses to hear something from the speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
One press on either the speaker's button or bar to the right of the slider is still too loud for me and many that report it.
Has anyone else ever reported they can't even hear their system until 4 presses?
Yes, they have. On other threads here.
This is one of those puzzling parallel universes phenomena. I can understand two people have very different views on the usability of an app refresh without resorting to parallel universes for an explanation. But what other explanation is there for this one?
I agree. The lowest volume on the Play:1 is much too high. It should be like four degrees lower. Please fix with a software update.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I have a pair of Play 1 in stereo on my desk about 60 cm from my ears and minimum volume is too loud for background music when the room is quiet. I'd very much welcome a lower minimum volume, with perceived volume at least half of the current minimum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a pair of Play 1 in stereo on my desk about 60 cm from my ears and minimum volume is too loud for background music when the room is quiet. I'd very much welcome a lower minimum volume, with perceived volume at least half of the current minimum.
Set the Volume Limit to 50%, in Room Settings. This appears to reduce the minimum volume by a similar factor.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Set the Volume Limit to 50%, in Room Settings. This appears to reduce the minimum volume by a similar factor.
My understanding is it has no effect at all on the minimum volume.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Does anyone know if the volume levels are the same for Sonos One, or can it be set quieter?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Try it. It definitely worked when I tested it, out of curiosity.