Question

Play 1: Modern for how long?

• 24 January 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
  • Prominent Collaborator II
  • 113 replies

I have 2 Play 1s in my system and they show as being Modern, rather than Legacy. So that I can work out how long they will be supported, does anyone know when Sonos stopped selling them? My concern is, if it was, for example, 2 years ago then Sonos could announce they’re Legacy tomorrow and so they’d only have 3 years left of support. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I have 2 Play 1s in my system and they show as being Modern, rather than Legacy. So that I can work out how long they will be supported, does anyone know when Sonos stopped selling them? My concern is, if it was, for example, 2 years ago then Sonos could announce they’re Legacy tomorrow and so they’d only have 3 years left of support. 

They silently refreshed the Play 1 hardware in 2017. If yours are hardware version 1.20.x you should be good for years because it is (according to someone who does teardowns on YouTube) effectively same internals as the Ikea speakers. Hardware v1.8.x discontinued in 2017 so 2 more years guarantee but hopefully more.

Just my opinion, ymmv etc 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

They silently refreshed the Play 1 hardware in 2017. If yours are hardware version 1.20.x you should be good for years because it is (according to someone who does teardowns on YouTube) effectively same internals as the Ikea speakers. Hardware v1.8.x discontinued in 2017 so 2 more years guarantee but hopefully more.

Just my opinion, ymmv etc 

Thanks for that.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

5 years from when they stop selling on their website - so probably at least 4 years as i think they stopped selling them last year.

5 years from when they stop selling on their website - so probably at least 4 years as i think they stopped selling them last year.

Sept. 2019.