Play 1 Battery Pack

• 9 February 2015
  • 51 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16
  • Headliner I
  • 998 replies
There are many posts and request for a portable or outside speaker on ask.sonos and others for a battery powered Play 1.

The Play 1 is plugged in from the bottom with a very flush and tidy fitting power lead. This makes me think and others might agree that a battery pack could be developed that works like a drill battery and plugs into the bottom of the Play 1 - maybe the power lead could also plug into the bottom of the battery pack to recharge in situ so it is seamless in design and can be used whilst recharging or if battery power is low.

I would opt for a lithium-ion polymer battery as:

Excerpt from wikipedia
“The result is a "plastic" cell, which theoretically could be thin, flexible, and manufactured in different shapes, without risk of electrolyte leakage.”

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

That's a great idea. Makes a change from the usual complaints about the lack of features (like an outdoor speaker) that Sonos haven't yet replied directly to. Pro-active idea sharing welcome here, thanks Dave!
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
That's a great idea. Makes a change from the usual complaints about the lack of features (like an outdoor speaker) that Sonos haven't yet replied directly to. Pro-active idea sharing welcome here, thanks Dave!
Thank you. Maybe others will see this and add their valued input instead of 100's of different posts on the same subject.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
This is only possible if they already planned to do it from the outset.  Battery would be low voltage (12-20v) but current Play 1 takes high voltage (110/240).  There would have to be some internal switching already in place to bypass the transformer so they either:
a) already thought of this and will release it some time (why not already ?)
b) didnt think of it/plan for it and it will never happen.
Good idea, but do you have any idea about the power consumption of the Play:1? (I don't, but it wouldn't be hard to find out). That will dictate what kind of a colossal battery might be necessary considering this device undoubtedly isn't optimised for non-mains use. Eventually (Bose will force this as their multiroom has one) I would assume Sonos will have Play:freedom or Play:0 or similar in the future which I'm sure will be a battery powered speaker, but hopefully will have line in/BT for direct play when you're outside of your network. I honestly think they need to step up their game though, they're not as innovative as they once were and other systems are catching up, making it no longer the de-facto wireless system it once was.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Point taken on the voltage issue, but we need to praise this idea and give it our full backing so sonos can see that there is a market for this product. Let's not have loads of fragmented or negative posts on this idea and focus on the plus side, for me it's a big YES if they introduce a battery powered play to their line-up. As for others catching up, that's just how it is with tech, but always remember sonos came first and other manufacturers were playing catch up.
I think a cheap UPS is the answer since the play one needs 120v.
One could design a "platform battery," one that is size equal to the bottom circumference of the Play 1. It could still plug into the plug prong, allowing for any size power supply. Any way it gets done, it needs to happen.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just like this!
This works. Did it on m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLs2MeU9Wi0&feature=youtu.beine.
Really. The Sonos Play 1 doesn't need 120v. It uses 120v AC and steps it down with a transformer to 24 volts DC. All you need to do is cut that out of the loop entirely and apply 24v. This video uses a cell phone backup battery outputting 5v to a step-up transformer which is going to limit the amperage so it won't be quite as loud. But a Black and Decker 24 volt drill battery might be perfect. I think I'll give it a try.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
like this !
http://v2.twice.com/news/speakers/denon-expands-heos-wireless-multiroom-lineup/57080

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-16832-denon-heos-1-wireless-speaker-denon-heos-gopack-offer-pre-order-for...
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Really. The Sonos Play 1 doesn't need 120v. It uses 120v AC and steps it down with a transformer to 24 volts DC. All you need to do is cut that out of the loop entirely and apply 24v. This video uses a cell phone backup battery outputting 5v to a step-up transformer which is going to limit the amperage so it won't be quite as loud. But a Black and Decker 24 volt drill battery might be perfect. I think I'll give it a try.
So does that also apply to a UK 240 volt Play 1?
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Hey @NickA I'm no sparky so wouldn't know that, however I'm also not going to butcher any on my Play 1's
"Butcher" is probably a strong word. Other than taking the screws out and soldering a couple wires to the back of the board, the only other butchering is the drilling of a small hole to let the wires pass through. It still works with the regular power cord as well as long as you don't have both connected at the same time. But putting some more thought into this, I think I'm going to buy this battery: http://www.amazon.com/Toro-88506-24-volt-Battery-Trimmers/dp/B00CUB37I4/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1431026576&sr=8-16&keywords=24v+battery+pack And then see if I can use it without the step up transformer and without the reduced amperage. To take it a step further then, I could buy a second charger for it and disassemble it and mount the top half to the Sonos on the back of the speaker. Then when I want battery power I could simply slide the battery into the mount.
See. That's not so hard now, is it? Come on, Sonos. Don't make me switch systems.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
@Kevin Freels, I'm not about to pull open my Play 1's and wouldn't advice others to do it either. We would like to see an official solution not a DIY work-around. Remember this will invalidate your warranty.
lol. Yeah. It does indeed invalidate the warranty. I would assume that anyone taking this on would know that. In my case, the warranty is already expired so it doesn't matter. And no. It's not ideal. I would MUCH prefer a real solution. I'm simply talking about the best way to manage a workaround that seems necessary because Sonos seems unwilling to capitulate to several years of owner requests while every other company is providing such devices. I especially like this article titled "LG Flow Punches Sonos right in its Portable Battery Speaker Hole." http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/26/lg_hits_sonos_right_in_its_portable_speaker_hole/ The second point behind my post, aside from helping people who want to do such a thing (not trying to convince anyone to do it though) is to point out how simple it really is and hopefully get more people to put more pressure on Sonos to roll out such a product. They did do a $130 million equity sell-off in December so they have the cash......
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
I'm with you, don't forget I started this thread.

I would suspect that the likes of LG and Denon visit this forum to see that this type of speaker is highly requested.

"Aiming to compete more strongly with Sonos, LG Electronics is updating its streaming Wi-Fi loudspeaker/music-player product line with something that Sonos users have (so far fruitlessly) requested; a portable, battery-powered job"
Patiently hoping they will come up with something
Spend two seconds clicking a "like" on this thread that Sonos actually has put a "under consideration" label on. https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/truly_wireless . Yes I know the thread heading refers to Play:3 and Play:5, but just scroll down in that thread and see that Play:1 is mentioned several times. 

I know that Sonos isn't best friends with Denon at the moment, but the Denon HEOS1-battery is just what many of us has been asking for several years. http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Denon-HEOS-1-takes-it-outside.shtml Since I have my house covered with Sonos, please let me have a "Play:1-to go". A base charger, and a mini-jack line-in (for occasional use out of wifi-range) Perhaps a headphone line-out as well?
When is Sonos going to incorporate a battery option? I had two Play 1 Sonos speakers that I returned and purchased the Bose SoudTouch portable. Now had Sonos offered an battery option I would have continued on my plan to build the Sonos home speaker sound system that I wanted. Instead I am looking at Bose for a complete option. Please is this really that hard to get on the Play 1? 
I agree. I need a battery powered Sonos for my bathroom so would buy one tomorrow
Nice idea but ideally a new Play unit would need to be released as this would require that the battery power (DC) get converted to AC to then power the device which will then convert it back to DC again. That is quite inefficient.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Nice idea but ideally a new Play unit would need to be released as this would require that the battery power (DC) get converted to AC to then power the device which will then convert it back to DC again. That is quite inefficient.
My idea was more a 'This is what could be done' than just add a battery to the existing Play 1. Requests for a portable Play device go back 2 yrs and still no word or official replies on the subject. I would camp outside my local retail outlet to be first in line to buy one. Then I would rush home and set it up in the garden and dance naked as I would be so happy to have a Portable Play device. Seriously I would 🙂
Spend two seconds clicking a "like" on this thread that Sonos actually has put a "under consideration" label on. https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/truly_wireless . Yes I know the thread heading refers to Play:3 and Play:5, but just scroll down in that thread and see that Play:1 is mentioned several times. 

I know that Sonos isn't best friends with Denon at the moment, but the Denon HEOS1-battery is just what many of us has been asking for several years. http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Denon-HEOS-1-takes-it-outside.shtml Since I have my house covered with Sonos, please let me have a "Play:1-to go". A base charger, and a mini-jack line-in (for occasional use out of wifi-range) Perhaps a headphone line-out as well?

There is a Bose unit that has all those connections in it and the battery lasts up to 6.5 hours that I have tested so far.