Question

Play:1 and Sonos One Compatability

• 19 October 2017
  • 15 replies

I have 3 Play:1's and I'd like to buy a Sonos One but won't unless they are made to be compatible. I think making them compatible will make current Sonos 1, 3, 5 users buy the Sonos One.

Has it been determined yet if they'll be made compatible?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

All Sonos products are compatible with each other. You just can't use two speakers of different types as a stereo pair or surrounds.
I should have been more clear with my question.

Has it been determined if the Play:1 and One will be made compatible to stereo pair?
No Sonos have given no indication either way.
I should have been more clear with my question.

Has it been determined if the Play:1 and One will be made compatible to stereo pair?

It has been determined that you cannot pair unlike models as a stereo pair or surrounds. So no, you cannot use a Play:1 and a Sonos One as a stereo pair or surrounds. Will it be possible in the future? Sonos has given the standard "We will pass this request on to the engineering team" answer. In my opinion, that is a no, but you never can tell.
If they are made compatible to stereo pair it can only help Sonos in my opinion. Current Play:1 owners will stay with Sonos if they are made compatible. If they aren't I will consider other high quality smart speaker such as the unreleased Homepod and I think many others will do the same.
So having an additional option from what you had last week makes you more likely to leave Sonos? You will have to run the logic of that one past me
If they are made compatible to stereo pair it can only help Sonos in my opinion. Current Play:1 owners will stay with Sonos if they are made compatible. If they aren't I will consider other high quality smart speaker such as the unreleased Homepod and I think many others will do the same.

Personally, I'm not chucking out thousands of dollars worth of equipment that works fine and I'm comfortable with for something that is brand new to the market and untested just because I can't utilize two features unless I have like models. Furthermore, that limitation is consistent with every use case that came before (the new Play:5 cannot pair with the old, nor can like models be paired). I'm not quite sure others would be prone to jump ship either, though it does make for a good " . . . or the bunny gets it" threat that are so often seen around here.
If the new to market smart speakers are a hit then Sonos should feel threatened since there hadn't been much competition in the past.
Sigh. I'm waiting for once, just once, when the bunny actually gets it. 😃
So having an additional option from what you had last week makes you more likely to leave Sonos? You will have to run the logic of that one past me
It is just pique from being told - No.
You guys must all work at Sonos with how defensive you are.

Its obviously a feature that is in high demand.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Actually. If you were a regular forum poster you would have noticed many of the high post count members have also expressed they would like the Sonos:1 and the Play:1 to be paired as stereo units. However, those same people will roll eyes and criticise those who come on here threatening to sell all their Sonos units for the latest and greatest (and in one case threaten to jump ship for the really awesome thingy yet to be released). That's not being defensive, that's just being sick and tired of reading the same old petulant nonsense whenever there's a new release or when there's not.

What's wrong with just posting "I'd really like to be able to Stereo pair the 2 versions of 1 speakers"? You wouldn't behave like that all the time elsewhere unless you wanted a slap now would you?

Actually. If you were a regular forum poster you would have noticed many of the high post count members have also expressed they would like the Sonos:1 and the Play:1 to be paired as stereo units. However, those same people will roll eyes and criticise those who come on here threatening to sell all their Sonos units for the latest and greatest (and in one case threaten to jump ship for the really awesome thingy yet to be released). That's not being defensive, that's just being sick and tired of reading the same old petulant nonsense whenever there's a new release or when there's not.

What's wrong with just posting "I'd really like to be able to Stereo pair the 2 versions of 1 speakers"? You wouldn't behave like that all the time elsewhere unless you wanted a slap now would you?

Another guy trying to be a bully on a message board.
I would like it if I could get the P:1 and Sonos One paired, however, I'd be lying if it I said I was going to buy a Homepod in protest. It just doesn't make any sense.

I get that adding a Sonos One to a P:1 means only spending $200 instead of $400, but you're talking about replacing it with a $350 product. And that's assuming you go the expensive route, since you could easily pair 2 P:1s (since you have 3) with an echo dot to give you voice control in that zone. It's also not taking into account that there is a possibility that Sonos will discount there product over Christmas (which they have done before), while Apple will not (they never have). Nor is it considering that Sonos One has a better feature set

You're also not considering the possibility (probability) that the price of the PLAY:1 is likely to drop. I would not be surprised if you can buy 2P:1s and a dot for cheaper then you can buy 2 sonos ones.

I'm not saying Apple isn't competition, but suggesting that the inability to pair a PLAY:1 with a Sonos One is going to push people to Apple or others...doesn't make sense. That said though, customer's don't always use sense when making their buying decisions (I certainly don't)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has said they are looking at the possibility.

Honestly - even if Sonos decided to allow it they just wouldn't even look good even if they sound close to the same. They are different looking speakers.

It would probably be better idea to get a pair of current Play:1's and just get an Echo Dot for the room they are in (actually cheaper and you have your 2 stereo paired.

I wouldn't purchase with belief that Sonos will at some point allow an older Play:1 and new Sonos One to ever be stereo paired. I would honestly give the chances at about 10% at thats probably too generous.

Make your purchase decisions on how it works now how you would hope it works in future.