Play 1 and One Stereo Pair

• 18 October 2017
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 1
Create a stereo pair between play 1 and one // I have a blue note play one and want to pair it with a sonos one. pretty please. 😉

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi, I posted an answer to this question over here.

Short answer, no, they don't stereo pair.
Userlevel 1
I preordered a Play:One and now I am sad to hear that I can not use a Play:One in place of a Play:1.

I have an existing setup connected to my TV with a PlayBar using two Play:1's for rear channel. I'd like to replace one of the Play:1s with a Play:One because it is in the perfect place between my family room and kitchen to hear Alexa commands. Adding another speaker In the kitchen or family room would really be overkill.

Is this a use case that is in the Sonos roadmap or at least being considered for the future?
Userlevel 1
I have read over on the verge that if enough people request it they will add stereo pairing of play:1 and sonos:one.
I have read over on the verge that if enough people request it they will add stereo pairing of play:1 and sonos:one.

I doubt that is the case. Hundreds and hundreds asked to pair the old and new Play:5 and it never came to be.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I concur, isn't going to happen. Only matched speakers pair. Don't know why some think they should and I'm relatively new to Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I get why the Play5 and Play1 won't pair, they are very different speakers. The Play1 and Sonos1 are essentially the same speaker! I hope they will update them to let you make a stereo pair.
I get why the Play5 and Play1 won't pair, they are very different speakers. The Play1 and Sonos1 are essentially the same speaker! I hope they will update them to let you make a stereo pair.

Actually, the hardware is completely different except the base and power cord assembly.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Actually, the hardware is completely different except the base and power cord assembly.

I guess that's why they didn't offer mixed pairing out of the box. However, they appear to have similar/comparable speaker drivers, volume, etc. so while a Play 5 and Play 1 pair would sound drastically off, a Play 1 and Sonos One -- and I'm just guessing here -- seems like they would sound like a perfect pair.
Add me to the lit of users that want One and Play:1 to link as a stereo pair. Just got a One for Alexa and was disappointed that they do not pair. I do not need two Alexa's in the same small room and was hoping to pair my new Sonos with my existing Play:1.

Had to make two different "Rooms" with the speakers and grouped them to make a "stereo" pair. Sounds fine but still wish they could be paired.
Userlevel 1
Love the speakers but very disappointed in the lack of pairing. Poor business decision. I bought the One for convenience. I'm not walking to another room just to issue voice commands. I also got the One to get rid of the clutter of the Amazon hardware. Not paying $50 to add the clutter back. As posted elsewhere, who needs more than one voice control device in a room? If they pair to 1s - or make a "stereo one" that's cheaper without voice control- I'll buy more Ones to extend convenience. Or if Amazon improves their sound, all the Sonos speakers go out the door. Sonos has a great product. They didn't think it through though.
Badge
Add me to the lit of users that want One and Play:1 to link as a stereo pair. Just got a One for Alexa and was disappointed that they do not pair. I do not need two Alexa's in the same small room and was hoping to pair my new Sonos with my existing Play:1.

Had to make two different "Rooms" with the speakers and grouped them to make a "stereo" pair. Sounds fine but still wish they could be paired.

How does the sound vary from setting up "Rooms" to having a genuine stereo pair setup?

I'm toying with the idea of adding a Sonos One to my setup but I currently have a Play:1 and can't work out if it's worth buying yet if I know I can't incorporate the two in the same room

Cheers
Very glad i read this post. Almost bought a Play One to pair with a Play 1.
If they can't pair what's the point.
No compatibility = No Sale
Might add that this is a total deal breaker. If Sonos junks your existing products then it's Bye-Bye Sonos before I've spent too much. The products are too expensive to be discarded like this by the manufacturer.
I'm not sure you understand that the inability to pair with other models as stereo does not mean they are not compatible. They are fully compatible with all other Sonos speakers, you just cannot pair them together with anything but themselves for stereo purposes. Just like a Play:3 can only pair with a Play:3, a Play:1 with a Play:1. This is only one usage and is in line with all other models, they are fully compatible in all other ways.
Stereo pairing is not the same as compatibility; the latter includes being controlled in identical ways by the same app, and playing together in perfect sync when needed with volume levels that can be controlled as one group. That has not changed with the One.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi, it is possible to pair a Sonos One and a Play:1 but you have to use a 3rd party app. I do not want to make any promotion but there are so much threads about this topic... Looks like many of us want to do this:
https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/pairing-a-play-1-with-the-new-sonos-one-6791476/index5.html#post16164099
You can use the official Sonos app after you created the stereo-pair and it works like a "normal" one...
I have several sonos products including a 5.0 setup. I feel totally confused how to update my setup for voice. As it is I am holding out to see the google assistant integration. If there is no pairing with my current speakers then its like Im start a fresh and no longer locked in to the sonos ecosystem
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
You have to treat the Sonos One as a completely new speaker line, like the Play:3 or Play:5. You can use it as a standalone speaker and use all features like making groups etc. but right now you cannot mix the Sonos One with a Play:1 in a stereo pair or as background speaker in your 5.0 setup (officially). This is what many people complain about. With SonoSequencr it is possible to mix a Sonos One and a Play:1 in a stereo pair.
Hi, I posted an answer to this question over here.

Short answer, no, they don't stereo pair.
I have 5 x Play:1's and making the One be able to pair would give me reason the buy a few One's. If not, I will stick with my Echo.
so what is the point of having stereo ONEs? Both have Alexa in proximity to each other. Serious design flaw and an expensive one for dependable customers. Boo to SONOS
I wish I’d known I couldn’t create a stereo pair with a Play 1 and one. There maybe technical challenges, but why would anyone want to have two voice controlled devices in one room. That is mad.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Someone already posted that there is a 3rd party app available to create a stereo pair using a One and a play:1. Look up^^.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I can't see why Sonos don't allowed pairing of all units, there should be an option for all units to stay individual or permanently paired as stereo or just permanently grouped (like the sub)regardless if it's one play5 and a play one... The functions is already there, only thing missing are that Sonos should release the restriktion.