back in 2008, I started to invest in SONOS for my house. I own

• 1 Play:5 Gen1**
  • 2 ZP90**
  • 2 Connect:Amp**
  • 2 Play:1
  • 2 One
  • 1 Playbar
  • 1 Sub

** = these will render useless per SONOS’ announcement, with only a 4 months notice period (!). I will certainly de-invest going forward.

One of the strengths of SONOS has been quality and durability, and product support length unknown in the industry. While that is a strength, it is also a weakness for the business model which requires a constant & growing stream of revenue in order to remain profitable.

The community understands that SONOS needs to operate a viable business model to be able to pay their developers, R&D etc. The current strategy, to declare hardware that is still fully functional obsolete, is wrong for a number of reasons:

• waste of resources
  • decline in long term customer satisfaction, damaging the business in the long run
  • affected customers will very likely shrink their future investments
  • the 30% discount on Trade up program harms margin

The argument that the old hardware does not meet performance requirements is baloney. In the end, it’s a bit of networking, buffering (I can’t see requirements change here), and file index for home library (I can’t see that grow).

SO HERE IS THE SUGGESTION:

• publish a 7 year life cycle policy - free updates/maintenance from date of purchase.
  • offer 5 years extended life support for a subscription fee
  • Trade-up option

I would be willing to pay 10 USD/EUR per month&household for this extended life subscription.

WHAT WOULD THIS DO FOR SONOS AND CUSTOMERS?

1. extended life subscription offers an additional revenue stream and pays for the maintenance
  2. it’s a strong buying argument
  3. customers can be confident about the product life cycle, and plan accordingly (and rather than seeing thousands of $$$ render useless overnight have a runway to replace bit by bit)
  4. customer satisfaction and “recommend to a friend” would go up

PLEASE, SONOS, RE-THINK YOUR POLICY AND CONSIDER AN EXTENDED LIFE SUBSCRIPTION.

What do others think about this?

- Tobias

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Tobias - Its not a bad suggestion, but I still think 12 years for premium products is too short.  £120 per year if that was per product is just too much money on products some of which cost £3-400. It would need to be per user and lower.  

On products where the hardware is fundamentally sound, users should not be forced to upgrade in order to keep the entire system running