Answered

Pairing Sonos One with Play:1

• 27 August 2018
  • 5 replies

I just bought a Sonos one to replace on in my lounge which is hooked up to surround sound. Why can’t I Pair it. It seems ridiculous to buy another Sonos one. Am I missing something here ?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 27 August 2018, 18:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Despite similar appearances, they are two different models with completely different hardware. There is a 3rd party app called SonoSequecr that will allow you to pair them, but then the Airplay 2 function may not work (probably why you can't pair them natively in the Sonos app).
Many thanks jgatie. 😉 This appears to be s huge oversight by Sonos though. There is no point having two Sonos ones in one room. I’ve had to put it in another room which is very disappointing I am hoping they can fix this issue with software releases.
Many thanks jgatie. 😉 This appears to be s huge oversight by Sonos though. There is no point having two Sonos ones in one room. I’ve had to put it in another room which is very disappointing I am hoping they can fix this issue with software releases.

One is Airplay 2 capable, the other is not (less memory for buffering and a less powerful processor). If I were to speculate, it is this difference which keeps Sonos from allowing them to be paired.
2012 Airport Express has Airplay 2 support.
2013 play 1 is too slow?

2012 Airport Express:
- Atheros AR9344 2x2 802.11abgn SoC
- 64MB RAM

Sonos Play 3 - too slow
- MPC8314VRADDA low-power PowerQUICC II pro 266 MHz processor
- 512MB RAM

Thank you Sonos
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
2012 Airport Express has Airplay 2 support.
2013 play 1 is too slow?

2012 Airport Express:
- Atheros AR9344 2x2 802.11abgn SoC
- 64MB RAM

Sonos Play 3 - too slow
- MPC8314VRADDA low-power PowerQUICC II pro 266 MHz processor
- 512MB RAM

Thank you Sonos

What are you talking about, You know nothing about how Sonos devices use their processors and memory. Yet you are castigating them for for not seeing into the future and predict the hardware requirments for Airplay 2. Comparing to an Apple product is truely stupid too and is spectacularly unfair.