Question

Pairing Beam with Move

• 28 November 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi all,

In our living room we have a Sonos Beam attached on the wall under the TV. Beam is used while watching TV but also when someone in the living room streams his Spotify to the Beam. This works like a charm but I'm not totally convinced with the sound, for me it's not full enough.

We also have a Sonos Play:1 and that one travels between the bedrooms of our children. They both use it for listening music. They are happy with it.

Yesterday I was watching a movie on the TV and decided to grab the Play:1 (sorry kids!) and take it downstairs. I paired it with the Beam and started watching Rogue One. For me the sound was way better compared to just the Beam. I understand that this isn't true stereo and neither is surround but the resulting sound was way more richer than ever before.

Now I want to buy an additional speaker so the kids can have the Play:1 again. I'm thinking about buying the new Sonos Move. It could be used for watching Tv in the house but can also be taken outside while sitting in the garden.

My question is, can I pair the Move with the Beam for 'extra sound quality'? Or should buy a different speaker?

Kind regards,
Roel

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Beware the Move cannot be paired with the Playbase/bar or Beam to add surrounds.  You’d be better of with One SLs or the old Play 1s if you can find them on offer.  They will group with any speaker but you may get an echo when watching TV.

I am a little disappointed too that the Moves cannot be used as surrounds.  I’d like a pair to use in the Garden/garage but on occasion would like to add them to my Playbase when watching a decent film.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I do understand that I won’t get surround sound. When I grouped the Play:1 with the Beam I didn’t get that either yet the sound experience (for me) was way richer!

If you were listening to TV sound then I am surprised there weren't  sync problems between the Beam and P1 when grouped.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

If you were listening to TV sound then I am surprised there weren't  sync problems between the Beam and P1 when grouped.

I didn’t hear them. Will I get the same experience when grouping Beam & Move?

Yes. 

Hello,

I am also more than interested to pair Move speakers to enable surround with a beam!!

Hey Sonos, hope you’re working on it 😘

Yes ... Agree that the beam needs more sound for music and would be great if could pair with move.

Yes ... Agree that the beam needs more sound for music and would be great if could pair with move.

For music sources you can GROUP the Beam and the Move and they will sync perfectly, like all Sonos speakers.  There is no issue there.  You just cannot use the Move for bonded surrounds.

Thanks … I did not know that you could group for music. So I can stream from Spotify and group the beam and the move ?

Yes. You can group any Sonos speakers at all times….with the exception of the Move on Bluetooth. If it’s on WiFi, it definitely can be grouped.