Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Can this be done? Will it sound the same in stereo? I don’t need two microphoned speakers surely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Note that it's recommended to use the One as your left speaker and the Play:1 as your right, since the left speaker coordinates everything for the pair.

Also note that in the future if you have any issues, Sonos will likely want you to remove the pairing between the two speakers before they provide any assistance, since that's not a supported setup. So while it's a set-it-and-forget-it thing, having an iOS device available for future needs is still highly recommended.
Badge
Done! 😃
I have many Sonos products in my home, In the den I have a play bar, a sub and two play 1's. I also have an Ecco Dot in the den, and bought a sonos one to get rid of the Dot...SO DISAPPOINTED in Sonos for not allowing me to pair the new One. Love the products but hate this omission!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have many Sonos products in my home, In the den I have a play bar, a sub and two play 1's. I also have an Ecco Dot in the den, and bought a sonos one to get rid of the Dot...SO DISAPPOINTED in Sonos for not allowing me to pair the new One. Love the products but hate this omission!

I have good news for you. You can pair a Sonos 1 and a Sonos One. Tadaaaa !!
A Play:1 and Sonos One can be GROUPED together as two different zones playing the same content.

They cannot be PAIRED (or bonded) together as one zone in stereo (one speaker as the left, one as the right) or as part of a surround sound system with a Playbar or Playbase. Hopefully, with the number of requests for this over just the past couple of days (there are at least three or four topics about it around here so far), Sonos will figure out how to make it happen, but it's up to them to do it.

Added 5/5/2018 - UPDATE - there is a third-party iOS app called SonoSequencr that is capable of creating a stereo pair out of mismatched speakers, including the Sonos One and the Play:1. Mismatched speaker pairs are not recommended, as despite the visual similarities between these two speakers, there are significantly different audio "fingerprints" between them. That said, it can be done with this third-party app. The app is not free, however it's a very reasonable price if pairing these speakers is a priority for you.

I've heard that an Android app called Macronos can do the same, though I have no personal experience with this app so I can't vouch for what it can or can't do.
Best post ever! Just bought a Sonos 1 to go with my Play One and was despairing they wouldn’t pair....thankyou!! They paired immediately with the app
Badge +2
Is the work around really a work around? I mean I pair left and right sonos speakers not because I want the same sound but because I want to listen to right and left channel that is in so much music. Does the app everyone talks about do that? Thanks everyone Has anyone investigated CES announcements this year. https://www.wisaassociation.org/
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is the work around really a work around? I mean I pair left and right sonos speakers not because I want the same sound but because I want to listen to right and left channel that is in so much music. Does the app everyone talks about do that?
Yes, it sets up left & right stereo-paired speakers that appear as one 'room' in the Sonos apps. Features like AirPlay 2 work perfectly with a single Sonos One as part of the pair.

Thanks everyone. Has anyone investigated CES announcements this year. https://www.wisaassociation.org/

We'll have to see how much traction this new standard gets. Right now it's mostly aspirational in terms of products actually delivered, and it's hardly without competition from existing solutions.
Badge +2
This gotta have better seperation http://www.enclaveaudio.com/wireless-home-theater.html
Badge
I don't see why anyone would want to 'pair' a Play:1 with the Sonos One. maybe because we already own a bunch of Play:1 speakers and don't think it should be necessary to buy a One to pair with another One? That said, I understand how it could be a circuitry/hardware/firmware issue but still prefer backward compatibility
All the SonoSequencer advise is nice, but I have an Android phone so no way to set this up. Would love to mix and match types to create stereo pairs.

Honestly, the fact that Sonos thinks they are "sonically" different souldn't matter one bit. The capbitility is there, just enable/expose it through the controller.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
All the SonoSequencer advise is nice, but I have an Android phone so no way to set this up. Would love to mix and match types to create stereo pairs.
Theres also a little Python script [1] that will pair unlike speakers, if you have the necessary knowledge to use it. I haven't needed to try it, but it looks very easy to use.

If you have a One and a Play:1, make sure you use/configure the One as the left-hand speaker.

[1] https://github.com/erikmansson/pair-sonos

All the SonoSequencer advise is nice, but I have an Android phone so no way to set this up. Would love to mix and match types to create stereo pairs.Theres also a little Python script [1]
that will pair unlike speakers, if you have the necessary knowledge to use it. I haven't needed to try it, but it looks very easy to use.

If you have a One and a Play:1, make sure you use/configure the One as the left-hand speaker.

[1]
https://github.com/erikmansson/pair-sonos

Thanks! Will have look..

All the SonoSequencer advise is nice, but I have an Android phone so no way to set this up. Would love to mix and match types to create stereo pairs.Theres also a little Python script
[1]

that will pair unlike speakers, if you have the necessary knowledge to use it. I haven't needed to try it, but it looks very easy to use.

[1]

https://github.com/erikmansson/pair-sonos
Thanks! Will have look..

This worked like a charm!! Thanks so much!

I now have a Play:5 and a Play:1 in a stereo set-up.

Had to to download Python3 on my mac and substitute the command line commands "python" for "python3" and "pip" for "pip3". Then just followed the instructions on the github page.

As a result I now only see the Play:5 in spotify and the controller but it automatically plays in stereo with the Play:1. There's also instructions on how to unpair on the github page.

Kudo's to the creator of this tool! And again Sonos should have long enabled this in their controller instead of hiding behind the excuse of "sonic differences" between different types of speakers... Thanks PWT!
Badge
Yeah, I'm dissapointed too with the lack of support in pairing with the old Play:1. I was up for preordering until I saw that it couldn't be used as a surround with the older player. My plan was to replace one of the surrounds in my setup with one and use that for the voice control, then I could use the Play:1 I had somewhere else. Pointless replacing them both as only need one of them in the room, and the spare player would end up in the bedroom, so pointless having the voice control upstairs for me to have to walk upstairs to ask it to change the music.

There are far more restrictions with the Sonos system than I was first led to believe. I am very disappointed in the One not painting with a 1 and I do not understand why I would need 3 voice commanded speakers in a 3.1 Beam and surround system at all. I have 2 Five gen 1’s which I was led to believe was going to be a superb sound system which could subsequently become a superb sound system which could then become a theatre system - nah. Ive got to look at buying an entire new set up. My old Bose system was, it is becoming apparent, a really good system to have, apart form a few cables.........
I may just have sell up and look at alternatives 😞
Hope this isn't a silly question, but I've got a Play:1 and am looking at buying the new One, which I've read can be paired using Sonosequencr, I was hoping to use a Sonos amp to connect the One and Play 1 as rears to complement my B&W 603s fronts, center and Subwoofer. Would the Sonosequencr app be able to make this happen? Cheers