Answered

Outdoor wireless speaker options.

• 2 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi,

Every now and then I do a load of work outside in the garden. The garden has good wifi signal and I'd like to play some music through the Sonos app.

I know I could get the connect:amp and a decent set of our door speakers, but I'm working so I frequently that it doesn't justify the cost.

Does anyone know if there's some way I could plug a 3.5mm wireless transmitter into my play:5 gen aux and play it through some wireless speakers like that? I've got power outside for the speakers.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 2 March 2021, 15:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

What about the Move? Or, if you do have good wifi coverage, plug in your One or a Play:5 and use the wifi. Or you could get a bluetooth receiver for the Play:5 aux input, as you suggest in your post. Obviously, keep the speaker dry! Only the Move is rain-resistant. 

Does anyone know if there's some way I could plug a 3.5mm wireless transmitter into my play:5 gen aux and play it through some wireless speakers like that? I've got power outside for the speakers.

The aux connection on the play:5 is an input, not an output.  The only Sonos product with an audio output in the Port, which makes not sense for your application since it costs more than the portable Move.  If that’s more than you want to spend, the rumor is that Sonos will be coming out with a smaller version of the Movie, ‘mini move’ if you will in the next few weeks.  Go back to the Sonos website homepage and you should see a banner at the top “big news |something not so big is coming soon”.  I’d sign up for the early access to be notified when it comes out.