Outdoor wireless/AC powered speakers ?

Can I use my Sonos system with this set-up ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

What setup? What kind of outdoor wireless/AC powered speakers?

Sonos, while not outside, are indeed wireless AC powered speakers. We'll need a bit more information from you to give you any significant advice. But generally speaking, in order to connect the Sonos ecosystem to speakers that are not Sonos requires a Connect, or in case of non-powered speakers, a Connect:Amp.
What I would like to do is to add outdoor wireless speakers in a few spots and I have AC power for them. Sonos doesn't have a outdoor speaker and I really like the way you control Sonos system with your cell phone.
Sonos will not work with wireless speakers of another make.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Can you locate an amplifier in the house and run speaker wire outside? If so, then the best solution is a Connect:Amp with your choice of outdoor speakers.
So the ConnectAmp will control what ever speakers are direct wired to it. The ConnectAmp would now be one of my groups ?
Yes, or play independently as any other Sonos play unit would.
Thanks for the help Kumar ! I just checked out the connectamp and it's pretty cool but a bit pricey at $499.00
It isn't cheap, I agree; and neither are decent external speakers. An alternative is to use the 1 unit, but remember to bring it back inside once the listening is done. Not too hard to do with the 1 unit/s, but something to not forget.
We bring a pair of Play 1s in and out as needed but you know how old that gets. It would be really cool if they just made a outdoor speaker wouldn't it.
Making it weather proof over and above all it already does won't be cheap. And the other challenge is to safely deal with a mains power socket out of doors. There are parts of the world where the play 1 can't be easily used even in bathrooms because of this issue.

Add to this the relatively small size of the market and that passive speaker options are available in large number probably won't ever justify a Sonos development spend in this direction.
That my dilemma, I do have AC power outside where I would like to put a couple speakers and I like the control Sonos gives you.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
We bring a pair of Play 1s in and out as needed but you know how old that gets. It would be really cool if they just made a outdoor speaker wouldn't it.

I bought a very nice pair of outdoor speakers for $85 (Dayton Audio via Parts Express), and was able to get the Connect:Amp for $400 (Verizon Rewards, available if you are a Verizon customer or have a friend that can help). Add in about $20 for wiring. (I compared the Dayton Audio speakers to models 2 and 3x more expensive and found them equal to some and better than most, even at only $85.)

So for about $500 total I have a perfect, always on, mounted/secured, and used-as-designed, outdoor zone. Further, I can add 2 more speakers if I wish (the Connect:Amp can support up to 4 8ohm speakers). That would bring my total cost to about $600.

So while the Connect:Amp looks costly, 4 Play:1 speakers would actually be more expensive. Yes, I realize with the Play:1s you'd have the flexibility of 4 separate zones, be able to move them inside, etc. But I am just pointing out that the Connect:Amp + outdoor speaker setup is not worlds apart from a cost perspective.

Meanwhile, the expensive electronic amp is safely in the house and will last for many many years.
(I compared the Dayton Audio speakers to models 2 and 3x more expensive and found them equal to some and better than most, even at only $85.)

That is certainly a good deal even if they don't last as long in inclement weather as the more expensive ones may.
Wirecutter does decent reviews, I found this there on the Daytons:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-outdoor-speakers/
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
(I compared the Dayton Audio speakers to models 2 and 3x more expensive and found them equal to some and better than most, even at only $85.)

That is certainly a good deal even if they don't last as long in inclement weather as the more expensive ones may.

That was exactly my thought...and they've held up extremely well for 3 years so far. That includes being outside through multiple Rochester, NY winters.

I had compared the Daytons to a couple of models of Yamaha speakers (in house) as well as a model each of Polk and Definitive Tech. Of the others, only the Definitive Tech were better, but they were also about triple the cost at the time. The sound quality of the Daytons was, IMO, substantially better than the Yamaha and Polk speakers. Build quality on all was about the same.

I just helped 2 friends install identical setups, and they are thrilled too. Finding the Connect:Amp on Verizon Rewards at $400 was a stoke of luck. To my knowledge, it is still available.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Wirecutter does decent reviews, I found this there on the Daytons:
http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-outdoor-speakers/

Those are the ones I have, the Dayton IO655. They also sell a very slightly less expensive and smaller model.
Beats me how they can sell them for less than USD 100 a pair! I know high prices in audio often don't deliver even close to all the alleged value, but this one seems to be terrific value, way more than their price.