Outdoor, weatherproof, option please

• 13 December 2016
  • 6 replies

I'm relatively new to Sonos. I have a playbar, 2 play:1s & a sub. I’m not an techie geek, I just like my music and films, and genuinely believe Sonos provides one of the best indoor, audio experiences I’ve had to date.

However, I recently visited Southampton Boat Show and saw the Kube. It was awesome. The sound quality was crystal clear. Brilliant for a summers evening just chilling or throwing a party. What a pity Sonos don’t do something similar. Could they work together. I suspect not. Kube appear to have their own ambitions, so Sonos need to come up with their own if they are to maintain their revered status in the industry.

It seems Sonos keeps quiet on futures but I thought I’d say this anyway. Makes me feel better and hopefully lends some weight to community opinion. If Sonos do feel like commenting please feel free!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos had a project for a portable speaker which they shelved (no pun intended).

That kube may sound and look good but you can't buy it yet, for the cost of a deposit you could buy nearly 2 Play 1s so at the moment the kube is just a fantasy, and an expensive one at that.

To answer your headline question. Buy some outdoor, weatherproof speakers and use a Connect or Connect:Amp

And with the several thousands pounds you've saved from buying a kube you can go on holiday
Fair point Stuart, but I still reckon there's a space in the product range for an outdoor wireless speaker of the quality with which Sonus is synonymous. I can't see
'some outdoor, weatherproof speakers' hooked up via a Connect:Amp being anywhere near Sonos quality. Admittedly it would be nice to have them at a similar price point as the existing range.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
I can't see
'some outdoor, weatherproof speakers' hooked up via a Connect:Amp being anywhere near Sonos quality..

I have Polk's Atrium 8 speakers and they sound great.

Kris 🙂
As everywhere, there are some good products, and some lousy ones. Pick a good pair of external speakers and the sound quality can be excellent, though not as good as indoors from speakers of similar quality. because of lack of room reinforcement.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Pick a good pair of external speakers and the sound quality can be excellent, though not as good as indoors from speakers of similar quality. because of lack of room reinforcement.

Agreed. I have Polk's outdoor sub and although it is good and does richen the sound doesn't come close to the Sonos subs in my house.

Kris:)
An old Infinity set outside here for the past eight years... no problems and get loud enough to cover the entire back acre plus.