Outdoor Sonos integrated speakers that look like granite/rocks

• 18 June 2019
  • 5 replies

We have a Sonos system in our home and love it. However, there are two accessories that we would like to see added to the Sonos system. We would purchase in short order if they were available. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
- Outdoor speakers: Weather proof, wireless speakers that resemble granite or rocks. (Note: There are speaker solutions on the market but it is my understanding that they only support Bluetooth and can't be controlled by the Sonos app.
- Wireless headphones: A set of wireless headphones that support streaming through the Sonos system that also support the features of the standard wireless headphones/headsets available on the market today.

Anyone know of a solution to this issue? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

With respect to a wireless "rock" speaker, how would you charge the speaker's battery?
We have a Sonos system in our home and love it. However, there are two accessories that we would like to see added to the Sonos system. We would purchase in short order if they were available. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
- Outdoor speakers: Weather proof, wireless speakers that resemble granite or rocks. (Note: There are speaker solutions on the market but it is my understanding that they only support Bluetooth and can't be controlled by the Sonos app.

Sonos has not said they are going to make any outdoor wireless speakers. If they ever do, I highly expect that they'll be making speakers designed to be placed under eaves before rock speakers since they will be better protected from the elements.

That said, the best solution for your case is to use a Sonos amp or connect amp and wired rock speakers. There are speaker wires you can get that can be buried or placed in conduit and buried. It is some work, but it's not hard. This also has the advantage that you do not need to recharge them periodically, nor do they need to be in wireless range.

- Wireless headphones: A set of wireless headphones that support streaming through the Sonos system that also support the features of the standard wireless headphones/headsets available on the market today.

A common request that Sonos has never said they are working on. The best way to do this now would be to get a Sonos Connect plus a bluetooth transmitter and bluetooth headphones of your choice.

If Sonos ever does this, it seems unlikely that the headphones will support bluetooth, since they don't anywhere else. However, maybe it makes sense to make a wearable a Sonos Connect like device that can connect to bluetooth headphones or speaker. The problem with that is that it would not be able to play in sync due to the delay in the bluetooth connection.

Anyone know of a solution to this issue? Thanks.

There are speaker solutions on the market but it is my understanding that they only support Bluetooth and can't be controlled by the Sonos app.

I don't know of any such; what is common are speakers with a built in, rechargeable battery, obviating the need to supply them mains power in a safe way out doors. Bringing them in every few days to recharge them will be a nuisance, unless these are the truly portable ones as are made for easily carrying around with you everywhere; and Sonos does not address that very crowded market.
And which is why all of the many rock speakers need to be connected by speaker wires to an amp kept indoors.
While it would be difficult to design a truly weatherproof quick change battery pack, this would be my preference. (for a product that I don't need) With this scheme a fully charged battery could be kept ready for use during a long event. A truly docile speaker would send a message to the user, warning about the imminent battery end of charge.
While it would be difficult to design a truly weatherproof quick change battery pack, this would be my preference. (for a product that I don't need) With this scheme a fully charged battery could be kept ready for use during a long event. A truly docile speaker would send a message to the user, warning about the imminent battery end of charge.

So it essentially would operate like a wireless camera or doorbell. Although those typically consume much less power and would therefore would require changing the battery less frequently. I would bet that in most cases, it would result in the user having to change out the battery every time they want to use the speaker (and then only having an hour or two of charge). If that's the case, why is this a better solution that just taking a Sonos One outside with an extension cord for an hour or two?

Perhaps if you can use solar power to avoid having to change out batteries, but you still would have limited play time. I'd want it to have the option of plugging it in at a minimum. Or if you can set it up so that it runs off 12V landscape lighting wire, so that it can be powered at a much safer voltage.

But I'm still much more inclined to just wire passive speakers.