Outdoor Options

• 28 April 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I used to have wired outdoor speakers and a Connect AMP. But we moved and now I have two choices. One is adding a Bluetooth transmitter to a Connect (already own both) and purchasing bluetooth speakers for outside. I just tested this with a portable speaker and it works great even with the doors closed. Next is to purchase a Play 1 and leave it in the covered section of the porch year round (in SW Florida it never gets too cold but it is humid). My concern is if we get a windy day with rain...it could blow in horizontally and get the speaker wet. I could put it high in a rafter to avoid this.

Otherwise it would be covered year round - out of sun and rain.

I think to get equal audio quality the first option would be about $50 more than the second.

Any feedback on either of these options will be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Dennis from FL

You're right you could choose either option. However, for outdoor listening speaker placement is key. Especially if you want to be a good neighbor and not annoy them with loud music because of limitations in placing the Play 1's. That said the BT dongle and BT outdoor speakers may be the better choice. JMO.

Cheers!
Badge
I was about to ask the same question...so this was helpful.

I case anyone is still watching this thread, let me ask this:

I currently have in-ground outdoor speakers connected to Sonos via a Connect, but want to add a couple more speakers where wires aren't practical. Can i piggyback a BT transmitter on that same Connect? If that is possible, I'm guessing that there would be a significant delay between the music coming out the the wired speakers vs. the BT ones...

Thanks.
I just saw a post from ratty (one of the more knowledgeable members of this community) on another thread that said exactly that.
Here's the thread:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/using-a-bluetooth-transmitter-and-a-connect-to-play-through-bt-speakers-6807902/index1.html#post16239017
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have run audio from my Zone Player optical out (old Connect) to my Bluetooth hearing aids and the delay is way too much to be listenable. I don't entirely blame Sonos for that, trying to run my TV optical out port to the hearing aids gives me about the same delay problems.

Bluetooth doesn't seem to be a good option for a spot where you don't have sound from another source, not sure how multiple BT devices would work either.