Answered

Outdated controllers

• 10 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

As this is my first time on here, I have no idea if this question is in the right place, but here goes. I have seen some of the other posts about the legacy product issues which I knew was happening, but this morning, for me, it went a step further.

We currently have 6 zones of old products, all working fine. We gave our daughter a Sonos 1 for her birthday today. When I went to add it to the system I found I couldn’t. Operating system no longer supported. So I tried another controller, and another, and another. We have 3 phones, an ipad, an ipod touch, a Samsung Tablet A, a Z200 and a computer running windows 10.

NONE of these devices will allow me to add a new component into the system. Are Sonos now bricking all the rest of my devices as well? They all work fine for everything we need to do; except now none work properly with Sonos.

I was about to go and buy a cheap phone just so my daughter is not devastated that her birthday present is an absolute dud, but now the android phones have heaps of different operating systems. Can someone please tell me if the Android Go operating systems will actually run a sonos system properly and allow me to add this new speaker. There is an Oreo Go, a Pie 9.0 Go and a Nougat 7.0 (not Go), but I don’t know if I trust Sonos to work with anything any more. If I buy any of these phones will they be useless as a controller in 6 months?

I actually sold the early Sonos systems for quite a few years and continued to tell everyone how good they were and easy to use. That certainly doesn’t seem to be the case any more, when I can’t even confidently control the thing.

Thanks in anticipation.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 10 March 2020, 03:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve seen using a cheap Amazon Fire tablet recommended.

I got mom the cheapest tablet I could find with the latest Android, a true piece of garbage, but it is happy to run her Sonos controller and a clock screen saver.

Badge

Thanks Stanley. I think Amazon stuff is still not that common in Australia, certainly not in Bendigo. Do you happen to know if I got the Android 9 Pie (Go edition), would that still run the Sonos app properly. I’ve read a bit about Go having different apps, so am unsure if it will run all normal apps properly.

Thanks for replying so quick. I’m madly trying to find a phone controller before she comes home from school.

Cheers.

Here is where Sonos keeps the list of supported OS

supported OS

If you don’t have a device that runs one, you could probably borrow one for setup, and then use one of the ‘older’ device to run the system.

Badge

Thanks Bruce.

That might be a plan if I can’t get a definite answer on whether the Android Go operating systems work. I had a look at your link and it says Android 7.0 or newer, but doesn’t mention the Android Go versions at all, so I’m a bit cautious. I don’t think I would want to buy a 7.0 version, as it probably won’t work in 12 months.

It’s very frustrating all these companies making perfectly good products obsolete. One of my Marantz amplifiers is over 40 years old and still works perfectly. But that wouldn’t make anyone any money now would it.

Cheers,

Fletch

Yea, that’s the problem with devices that require software to run. Including your Sonos devices. At some point, they run out of processor speed, or memory to store the programming. Things were simpler when it was just plugging something in to power. ‘Smart’ electronics are both wonderful, and troublesome. Pretty much the same as all tech, there are good and bad aspects. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d like to be helpful here but I have no clue what Android Go even is…  Sorry.

looks interesting though: https://www.android.com/versions/go-edition/

I can confirm that the newest Sonos app can be installed on an android go version 9 device (ex Nokia 2.1).

That being said, I can’t set up Google as a voice assistant because it requires the Google app to be installed...and android go devices instead have the “Google Go” app.  I am able to search for and download the Google app from the play store...but when the installation starts, I get the error “Can’t install Google”.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out and for the assistance @Stanley_4 and @Airgetlam

About your concern @MrBond, it’s a good thing that you can use the Sonos S2 app in Android (Go edition) and if you cannot install the required app to finish the voice service setup in the Sonos app, you’d need to have a supported mobile controller and just like @Airgetlam said, you can borrow one for set up and continue using your own device. 

Please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with. We and the community are always here.