Other speakers on Sonos dropping when using Airplay2

• 19 March 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So I have a question - I’m connecting my iPhone to wired pair of One SL’s via Airplay 2 using an IPhone.  I have several Patreon links as Podcasts that I can’t determine how to play any other way.  So this will play correctly on the room I connect to directly but other speakers as connected will often drop out.  So the behavior is that it connects correctly and other speakers/rooms added will often fail.  

I assumed that Sonos would connect to Airplay 2 and then distribute on Sonos.  Is this not the case?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

It should, yes. If other speakers are dropping off, that suggests at least one potential issue, wifi interference. It may be that the AirPlay 2 stream is causing enough usage of bandwidth in your system to knock off the other speakers, which normally have enough to stay connected.

I’d also recommend, just as a safety practice, a reboot of your Sonos network, by unplugging all Sonos devices from power, and while they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, go ahead and plug back in the Sonos devices. This does several things, some of which might help, but it certainly wouldn’t hurt anything.