“Optimo 2 could become Sonos’ best-sounding speaker yet”

• 25 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 7

Very interesting…

https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/24/23319989/sonos-optimo-speaker-features-design

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Much as I do like this, The Verge is, as I recall, the place that was promoting the concept that the Ray was going to be able to be used as a surround speaker. 

Seems rife with possibilities, though. 

I get the feeling this very, very early stages of design for future product years from now.     If it is potentially a replacement for the Sonos Five, it would possibly explain why the Five was never redesigned to include a mic for voice control.

So thinking about this more.  Optima 2 seems like it’s primary feature would be capability to play Atmos music.  That makes a lot of sense as an upgrade over the Five.  Sonos already does atmos music through the Arc, and it appears that atmos music through streaming services is growing  And this would cover the ‘basics’.

That said, some questions have to be asked.  Does it make sense to have atmos capable speakers that can only be used as a 2.1 setup, like the Fives can?  It will surely use reflections to bounce audio off walls, but since Sonos can use rear speakers as they do with HT setups, then it seems like that would be likely.  And since the article is mentioning, Optima 1 as a smaller version with SL option...that seems to be the likely candidate.  A center channel would make sense too, but Sonos may not feel that is needed.

So you have 4 speakers and sub to play atmos music….that can’t be used for TV audio?  Would Sonos do that?  That’s where the potential USB-C port get interesting.  USB-C can carry HDMI-ARC (I looked it up), but not sure about eARC.  Completely unsure about this though, as the Optima 2 would surely be used in pairs separated from TV, where you would not want a cable between TV and one of the speakers..it’s one of the primary reasons soundbars exist.

Also, seems likely you would want to have the USB-C there for analog audio via an adapter.  Probably could be used to connect to a phone or tablet for digital audio as well.  And lastly, I’m doubtful this is the case, but it would interesting if you could connect a USB drive with music files directly to the speaker, so you no longer need to rely on a NAS or computer for local libraries.  I am doubtful because use of local libraries isn’t growing, and could just be more trouble than it’s worth.

Last thought on the USB-C port….that is only being rumored to be considered, is that if the rumors are true about Sonos wanting to get into the video streaming business, then the USB-C port could be used to send HDMI to a TV.  That would also explain the extra RAM and flash memory.  Possibly even explain the inclusion of bluetooth...for a remote.  I seriously doubt this though.  

edit:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sonos-next-flagship-speaker-will-boast-both-wi-fi-and-bluetooth

The new Optimo line may also serve as a home cinema set-up, with the Optimo 2 serving as a centre channel and the Optimo 1 performing as satellite speakers. 

The physical size and shape of the Optimo 2 doesn’t makes sense as a center channel to me...

Badge

I’ve always wished sonos had a higher end offering like Kef ls50 wireless . While you can use any speaker with the amp the amp does not have room correction like the speakers . Another wish would be able to use front stereo speakers with the arc or beam in the same room. 

I get the feeling this very, very early stages of design for future product years from now.     If it is potentially a replacement for the Sonos Five, it would possibly explain why the Five was never redesigned to include a mic for voice control.

Early shipments of the FIVE did include a microphone, but it was never used.