One vs Move

• 13 June 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 30 replies

I read a lot of reviews and watched quite a few comparisons online before I purchased a Move.

I’ve had it about 10 days now and REALLY want to love this speaker as much as my others but have been slightly underwhelmed.... I mean it’s a nice speaker and all, but I was hoping to be as impressed as I have been with all my other Sonos speakers (Beam for TV, pair of Ones w Sub in LR, One in Kitchen, One SL in Bathroom and One SL in Bedroom).

Some of the online reviews I read said that the Move is more powerful than the One (a reviewer claimed it’s “like 1.5 Ones” and others had similar sentiments), but frankly I can hardly tell any difference whatsoever between a One and the Move when I put them side-by-side (tested by toggling back and forth, muting one and then the other with different types of music). The Move may have slightly more bass, but if anything a One actually sounds a little more crisp to my ear, and the volume difference when the two are at the same point on the slider is negligible.

The TruPlay tuning seems to make very little difference with the Move either – I’ve tried putting it in different places and I can’t even tell if/when it kicks in. It’s barely noticeable when I toggle Trueplay on/off.

The One is a terrific speaker, but for twice the price I was hoping the Move was more than just a “One with a battery“. Am I missing something or have others had this same experience? Is it possible my Move is defective? How would I find out?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @wjr,

Welcome again to the Sonos Community and thank you for reaching out with your issue.

The Move, to my ears at least, should sound way more powerful than merely a battery powered Sonos One. 

Can you submit a diagnostic report while your Move is playing and in WiFi mode? 

If you include the confirmation number in your response, I would be happy to look it over for any issues.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for the reply Jean C.

I was hoping to hear at least a bit of a step up from the Sonos One as you and others have suggested... but I’ve tested them next to each other (and in various configurations) a couple of times and the difference is minimal.

I ran the diagnostic with both of them playing on WiFi and the confirmation # is 2038676691

I really appreciate your help and any insights you can share.

Thanks!

Wesley 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @wjr 

Thank you for the diagnostic report from your system.

I’m not seeing anything overt in the data that would suggest any issues. 

What kind of a space are you using the Move in? 

Is it a large open room or have you tested this outside? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thanks for following up Jean.

Hm… I’ve been listening to it both inside and outside. Only tested it next to the One in my kitchen which is fairly open. Is there a better condition to test it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @wjr,

Those both sound like ideal testing/playback locations. I was only wondering if the wider sound-stage in a tight space might be contributing to the audio performance.

To be fair, it’s primary features are it’s portability, Bluetooth compatibility and weather resistance and the Sonos One/ Play:1 speakers do throw some pretty good sound on their own. 

If you find yourself dissatisfied with the speaker, you are welcome to return it.     

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

The Move is not a bad speaker by any means…  And I completely agree that (as I said in the original post) the Sonos One is a terrific speaker, and my experience with the Move had been positive overall. I just feel that either I’m missing something or many of the reviews I read were a bit over-hyped.

This post was not meant to complain, just honest questions. I’m still planning to keep the Move and may even buy another at some point, but my main concern is that if my unit is not up to par I’d rather find out while it is still under warranty. I guess I should blame Sonos for making such great products that I now have unrealistically high expectations!

It would also be nice to hear other customers’ thoughts on the performance between the two and I figured people considering buying one or the other might find that sort of discussion useful (I’ve seen similar discussions comparing other Sonos speakers to one another on the forums, but not the Move and One yet).

Thanks again for you input @Jean C.!

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

It would also be nice to hear other customers’ thoughts on the performance between the two...

I have many Ones and one Move, which I mainly use outdoors. I’m surprised you cannot hear the difference, as in my experience the Move has a fuller sound as you might expect from a larger speaker. However, the extra cost is not just about the sound, but the functionality that the Move offers. It has a better range, is water resistant, bump resistant and can be used with Bluetooth, so IMHO that is a lot of extra capability.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @wjr,

Thank you for your response. I do apologize, I realize in hindsight that I came off a little short in my previous reply.

As @arcadelt says, I find the difference to be rather noticeable but I also understand that audio perception is a highly subjective experience.

While I’m unable to detect anything amiss in your diagnostics, comparing the audio from your Move to another Move (if you know someone who has one) might be a way to see if yours is lacking something.

The Move is meant to be more powerful than the One but not as powerful as the Five or Play: 5, it may also depend on how loud you usually have your Sonos One’s set. 

There are, of course, the return options I mentioned above if you (or anyone else) decides that it isn’t what they were looking for. 

I hope you’re having a great weekend regardless and keep us posted on your system situation. We’d be happy to assist or discuss any questions or concerns you may have. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have many Ones and one Move, which I mainly use outdoors. I’m surprised you cannot hear the difference, as in my experience the Move has a fuller sound as you might expect from a larger speaker. However, the extra cost is not just about the sound, but the functionality that the Move offers. It has a better range, is water resistant, bump resistant and can be used with Bluetooth, so IMHO that is a lot of extra capability.

I agree, the other functions of the Move definitely add to the value. 

Thanks for the input @arcadelt.