Answered

One Sl as computer speaker

• 22 April 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi - I recently purchased a SONOS One SL to use as a computer monitor. The problem is that my iMac (2019 model, macOS Catalina 10.15.4) keeps reverting to the internal speaker and I have to reacquire the SONOS. It is annoying. Has anyone found a way to permanently keep the SONOS speaker connected? I have tried setting it to the SONOS in Settings, and it keeps changing back when there is no sound.

I asked support, and they told me that it is the operating system, which they did not write, which I pretty much knew already. 

icon

Best answer by ratty 22 April 2020, 11:54

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Sonos speakers are not designed for use as computer speakers, though some folks do run a wire to units equipped with a Line-In jack and put up with the ~70ms delay. Some even use Sonos home theatre speakers, connected by optical, with a lesser (~30ms) delay.

How are you connecting to the One SL? If it’s via Airplay then it would likely be the macOS end which is dropping the connection. Airplay would also incur additional delay, and I’d have thought the experience for interactive computer use would not be good.

Thanks, that makes sense. Yes, I was using AirPlay. Guess I’ll stick with the wired speakers and find another use for the One SL.