Old Wireless to New Wireless

• 18 December 2017
  • 15 replies

I have a set of old wireless speakers in my dinette and kitchen that are 25 feet and 35 feet respectively from a 55" TV in the family room. I use these to listen to the TV so I don't blow the people in the family room out of their chairs. The existing system is failing and I'm considering replacing it with a couple of Sonos Play 1's. A friend has offered to sell me his Bridge and Connect. My thought is to wire the Connect to the audio out on the TV and push the sound to the Play 1's. Is there any reason this won't work? The second part of the scheme is to wire the Bridge to my router and push the music I have stored on my computer to the Connect and then wire it to my receiver and hardwire speakers. Will that work?
My music is stored on my computer in an iTunes library under AIFF protocol. I've read that Sonos and iTunes have some difficulty. Looking for comments as to whether I should proceed or whether my logic is all wet.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
You’ve got several things going on here:

First and foremost you’ll need to download the Sonos App to your PC and/or compatible smart phone or Tablet:

Using the Connect has two options:
Option 1_ Ethernet direct to Connect from Router which is known as Boost mode
Option 2 _Ethernet direct to Bridge to setup up Boost mode and the Connect becomes a client
Using either method you must assign the Connect a name (i.e. TV Room etc.)

Now you’re ready run RCA from TV left/right output to Connect left/right inputs
Setup the Play 1’s as room and bond them as a stereo pair. Next group the Connect and Play 1’s together and you’ll hear your TV sound. However, you may experience a slight audio lag.

If you went with Option 2 above (my recommendation) you are already set to push music from your PC to the play 1's. Just be sure to turn off your TV.

If the Connect is in close proximity to your stereo all you need do is run RCA from the Connect output’s to Aux input on your stereo to hear music on the Play 1’s and your wired Stereo speakers. This assumes the Connect and Play 1's are still grouped.

I have all my music stored in iTunes on my PC, smartphone and tablets. Have had no issues with Sonos

For more in depth assistance here’s a link on how to setup Sonos: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/support/setting-up-sonos

FYI, Using a Bridge was previously called Bridge Mood. The Bridge has been discontinued in favor of a similar device with more signal reach called a Boost. Long story short the end result is the same.
Thanks for the input. Option 2 is the direction I will have to go. The router is in another room and the bridge would be right next to it but the signal from the bridge will have to travel through a wall and about 35 feet to the connect box. Do you think the bridge will have sufficient power and range to adequately talk to the connect box? The connect will be next to TV and on top of stereo system. No problem connecting either one to the Connect box. The Play1's will have to remain wireless and independent of any direct connections because of location.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the input. Option 2 is the direction I will have to go. The router is in another room and the bridge would be right next to it but the signal from the bridge will have to travel through a wall and about 35 feet to the connect box. Do you think the bridge will have sufficient power and range to adequately talk to the connect box? The connect will be next to TV and on top of stereo system. No problem connecting either one to the Connect box. The Play1's will have to remain wireless and independent of any direct connections because of location.

If you have a good Wi-Fi signal in the room you're speaking of the Bridge should have no problem reaching it (under ideal conditions). Typically a Bridge is used to overcome Wi-Fi limitations. However, every environment is different so you can only test and see what happens. As I mentioned the newer Boost generates an even stronger signal if the Bridge proves to be inadequate. Good Luck
Userlevel 7
@ Audio77_your quote
The Play1's will have to remain wireless and independent of any direct connections because of location.

It was always assumed the Play 1's would not be connected via Ethernet. Are you unsure as to what is meant by Grouping and/or Bonding?
I would have to say no I am not perfectly clear on what grouping and bonding is. My exposure to Sonos is what I have seen and heard at Best Buy and what I have read on this Web Site. That's the reason for the questions. I don't want to buy something I think will work. I want to be absolutely certain it will work. From what you have said It sounds like it will.
Userlevel 7
I would have to say no I am not perfectly clear on what grouping and bonding is. My exposure to Sonos is what I have seen and heard at Best Buy and what I have read on this Web Site. That's the reason for the questions. I don't want to buy something I think will work. I want to be absolutely certain it will work. From what you have said It sounds like it will.

Not to worry...the link I gave you earlier has a wealth of information on how to set up your Sonos. That said (speaking metaphorically) everyone has to walk before they can run and setting up Sonos is no different. The Sonos app will basically walk you through setting up your your Bridge, Play 1's and Connect!

Just a little Sonos 101...

When setting up any Sonos speaker for the first time; or adding a speaker to an existing setup, the Sonos app will always prompt you to name or rather select a room to assign it to. So in your case after setting up your Bridge you'll setup your first Play 1 and assign it to a room (name it) such as Den, Kitchen, Living Room etc. Next you'll setup your second Play 1 in the same manner. The Sonos App is smart enough to ask if you' would like to assign the second Play 1 to the same room and make them a Stereo Pair which is a form of Bonding. You'll say yes!

Now that the Play 1's are setup you'll next bring in the Connect and assign it to a room (name it). So for example...the Connect is called TV Room and the Play 1's (although they are in the same room as the Connect) may possibly be called Living Room.

The Sonos app will show you all your Rooms with and option to bring them together as a Group. Grouping does not require you to setup a new name. Grouping isn't permanent (unless you want it to be) which means you can bring two rooms (i.e. Sonos components) together as a Group for a period of time and later un-Group them. Grouping is what you will do with the Connect and Play 1's.

Putting all this in writing sounds a bit daunting but it really isn't 🆒. Just follow the Sonos app which makes it pretty easy.

Good Luck and enjoy your Sonos!
Thanks very much, you are a wealth of information.
Userlevel 7
Thanks very much, you are a wealth of information.

You’re welcome! Just sharing the little that I know. There others in the Community who can guide you as well such as Jgatie, Chris, Mike V and Kunar just to name a few. Great to have another Sonos user. Once again...Enjoy your Sonos
Userlevel 7
One last comment. Using the Setup you’re contemplating the audio volume will be controlled using the Sonos app not your TV remote unless you can set it to a Variable Output for external speakers via the RCA’s.
I bought my Play 1's and did the 1st phase installation for the TV. Everything connected perfectly, but you mentioned an audio lag and that is exactly what is happening. My old 900 MHz system and my current sound bar took and take their signal from the 3.5 mm audio out with a splitter. They were both synchronized perfectly with the TV sound. The Connect feeding the Play 1 is using the same source but has a delay. Is there a fix for this? I'd hate to have to return the system.
Userlevel 7
Hi Again

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing the audio lag, but that doesn't surprise me with the setup you are trying to employ. Sonos Play 1's, Play 3's and Play 5's are primarily designed for music and whole house syncronization of music or simultaneos zone play of different music genres. The only speakers designed for A/V is the PlayBar and PlayBase which connect DIRECTLY to a TV via optical input. In the Sonos app under advanced audio using those speakers there is even an audio delay compensation slide.

Unfortunately to get rid of the delay the options available will require additional funds (or not);

Option 1 is to return the two Play 1's ($400) and purchase a PlayBar or Play Base for the additonal $299
Option 2 keep the Play 1's (as they make excellent speakers for music) and deploy them as separates or stereo pair and pay $699 for a PlayBar or PlayBase
Option 3 is similar to Option 2 except you can look for a deal on eBay for a PlayBar or PlayBase.
Optional 4 is similar to Option 1 except you keep your old wireless speakers until such time you decide to purchase a PlayBar or PlayBase or go with an alternative solution (system) of your choice.
Option 5 you call Sonos support to see if they can offer assistance.

I realize what I've written is probably not what you were hoping for but unless someone else in this forum has a better solution...then that it's. Please post back with your decision. Good Luck and Cheers!
I read your reply which I appreciate very much. The alternatives are not encouraging. I got the two Play 1's for $300 out the door which I was pleased with. But, adding another $700 for a Play Bar just to watch TV doesn't line up with my priorities. Using just a play bar without the Play1's doesn't solve my original problem of pushing sound deeper into a 45' long space.
I will give Sonos a call, but based on what you have said, I have a strong suspicion that these speakers are headed back to the store and I will have to hunt for something else. I will let you know.
Badge +20
Before you send it back...

Try setting the line-in to Airplay and make sure you are usung uncompressed. Scroll down to the configuring Sonos section.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1241/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTE1MTQ0ODE2L3NpZC9mVURpM2NpcHdrVmR5SUMyd04lN0VjZElSeEw1X0k5RnJlbG0lN0VOQ0JfOUtXWW1jM2VXTUxtSERQaTZKWVd2T1VwNUpUQVlVN1FqJTdFandqYzlMVURTQVVOVUg2RFo0aTcwTDNvcUdQR1RDMCU3RTdtUERKc0RsODdfT01IdyUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D
Userlevel 7
Hi Audio77

If the solution suggested by Belly M or Sonos Support doesn't resolve the audio lag_then Sonos is not going to be for you based upon your requirements. That said this is a help forum and sometimes the competition may offer a better solution. I'll not mention the product by name but here's a link with information that may be useful. You'll have to do more investigation regarding wireless setup after linking two speakers. Good Luck!

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/google-home-max,review-5040.html
Gentlemen, Thanks for your help and suggestions. I tried Belly M's suggestion with Airplay but no results. This morning I called Sonos. The response was that I am using the system in fashion that it wasn't designed for. The only part of Sonos that is made to be compatible with TV sound is the Playbar or Playbase. Too bad the Play 1's were perfect for my use.