Answered

Old Sonos Compatibility with New Sonos

• 26 July 2018
  • 9 replies

Hi.

I wonder if there is a good source of information that explains what functionality will be compatible with older Sonos systems? For example - will I be able to link a Sonos One or a Sonos Beam with older ZP120 and ZP55 players and what functionality will work and what will not. I have searched the web for an answer and was not able to find anything consistent. Will appreciate some help. Apologies if this topic has been discussed before.

Many thanks.

😳
icon

Best answer by jgatie 26 July 2018, 14:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I'm not sure what you are getting at? Different speakers are able to be grouped together to play the same stuff in different parts of the building. Identical speakers are often able to be paired to create stereo pairs. All speakers on a system have the same access to services, dependant on what you have added. Newer speakers still have all of those functions. The only thing that has changed on the last couple of new speakers is voice activation. This doesn't change the speakers fundamental abilities or its compatibility, it just adds a control option. And that control option is not limited to the new speakers, you can control older sonos stuff with your voice too, just add an echo dot to your network.

Maybe if you explained what your use is or your specific concern then the question would be easier to answer?
I'm not sure what you are getting at? Different speakers are able to be grouped together to play the same stuff in different parts of the building. Identical speakers are often able to be paired to create stereo pairs. All speakers on a system have the same access to services, dependant on what you have added. Newer speakers still have all of those functions. The only thing that has changed on the last couple of new speakers is voice activation. This doesn't change the speakers fundamental abilities or its compatibility, it just adds a control option. And that control option is not limited to the new speakers, you can control older sonos stuff with your voice too, just add an echo dot to your network.

Maybe if you explained what your use is or your specific concern then the question would be easier to answer?

Thank you for your answer. I am trying to confirm whether or not a new Sonos One for example will be fully compatible with an old system with ZP120's and ZP55's or whether there will be some limitations - for example: cannot group zones, won't be able to voice control the ZP120 or anything of that nature?
The only Sonos device that is no longer compatible with current Sonos software/hardware is the CR100 controller. All others are fully functional and compatible. Voice control works for all Sonos devices, whether from a voice enabled One/Beam, or another Alexa device.

Not saying there won't come a day the oldest models are retired like the CR100, but currently they are still working just fine.
The only Sonos device that is no longer compatible with current Sonos software/hardware is the CR100 controller. All others are fully functional and compatible. Voice control works for all Sonos devices, whether from a voice enabled One/Beam, or another Alexa device.

Not saying there won't come a day the oldest models are retired like the CR100, but currently they are still working just fine.

Thank you, this is very helpful.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes as jgatie said

-CR100 is the only retired an not usable original Sonos device
-CR200 remote has limited functionality
-All other Sonos old to brand new all still work together as they always have
-Newest Sonos units (Sonos One, Sonos Beam, Play:5 gen2, Playbase) have ability to act as targets for Airplay2 direct from iOS devices … but can then group with other Sonos units to play Airplay2 to them.
Yes as jgatie said

-CR100 is the only retired an not usable original Sonos device
-CR200 remote has limited functionality
-All other Sonos old to brand new all still work together as they always have
-Newest Sonos units (Sonos One, Sonos Beam, Play:5 gen2, Playbase) have ability to act as targets for Airplay2 direct from iOS devices … but can then group with other Sonos units to play Airplay2 to them.

That's useful to know and I have heard the airplay2 thing somewhere already but thanks anyways! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great answers, everyone! I just made one edit to the posts above, it's the Playbase that can be an AirPlay 2 target, not the Playbar. Just a typo, as I know Chris is aware, but I wanted to make it clear for anyone new to the thread 🙂
Great answers, everyone! I just made one edit to the posts above, it's the Playbase that can be an AirPlay 2 target, not the Playbar. Just a typo, as I know Chris is aware, but I wanted to make it clear for anyone new to the thread :)

Nice one, cheers!
Badge
The only product of Sonos among the old ones, CR100 controller is not compatible with the current Sonos devices. I know a bit about it and I will ask Firefox Support for the rest of the details about it.