Occasional loss of grouping

• 16 October 2016
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
  • Enthusiast I
  • 98 replies
Hi all

I've only had my Sonos system for a week or so, but I'm already noticing the very occasional tendency to lose groupings whilst music is playing. The music will continue playing in one zone usually, with the other stopping completely. Is there any known issue? I assume this is not impacted by other network issues as the network is between the players themselves, correct?

Everything is otherwise working perfectly, is no reason to suspect a faulty component as yet.

Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You assume incorrectly.

It will most likely be wireless interference. Make sure a) Your router is set to a fixed channel (1, 6 or 11) and doesn't automatically change. b)Set your Sonos wireless channel to a different one that you selected. c) Make sure that your units are as far away from the router to reduce the chance of interference.
I assume this is not impacted by other network issues as the network is between the players themselves, correct?
I'm not so sure this is necessarily correct. Are you operating in fully wireless mode or do you have a Sonos component wired to your router?
The ungrouping could be caused by one unit dropping off the network, caused by network problems, for which interference is certainly a candidate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Twuk. Thanks for posting your query. This is almost certainly caused by a network communications issue. Please submit a diagnostic and respond here with the confirmation. Myself or a colleague will have a look and provide some advice. Thanks in advance.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Thanks all. I will of course take a look at your suggestions. Edward- diagnostic is at 664898. Everything is working fine at this moment, and I have not as yet changed anything on either the players or network.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
For what it's worth, it can be very difficult setting wireless as you've suggested as I live in a large block of flats. Using the automatic channel selection allows the router to determine the least congested channel. For example, at this moment, a quick scan of wireless networks finds 16 networks. Channels 1, 6- and 11 are all in use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well a number of comments.

If you are experiencing high levels if interference then your diagnostic will show that. Generally you want to submit the diagnostic within 15 minutes of an issue happening but it does sound like you are in a high interference potential environment.

You ONLY have the choice of channels 1, 6 or 11 for your Sonos and for your Wi-Fi you need to select one of the others that Sonos is NOT on - If you select anything other than 1, 6 or 11 (Can that be done??) you will certainly have some level of interference.

Others will have advice but you should ensure your system is optimal as there is little you can do about external wireless interfering.

Regards
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Quick update... I've now done the following and will monitor the situation:

1. Using Wifi Explorer, scanned for local networks using channels 1, 6, 11. Channel 11 was the least used (although it is in use) and the networks at 11 had the weakest signal strength. I set my primary router to channel 11 and fixed.

2. I have an extender in use (powerline with a separate wireless network) in a far corner of the property. I reconfigured this to use channel 1, so it's as far as possible from the primary router.

For info, the Sonos system is configured entirely in wireless mode at present. The living room has the Playbar, two Play 1's, and a Sub. The master has one Play 3. The loss of grouping I referred to initially is between the living room and master.

I'll have to monitor the situation as I have no control over when neighbours change their own wireless channels, but at least I know if the Sonos starts to play up I can start with wireless channels. I also have the option to wire one player (the Playbar being easiest) into the powerline network. Not sure if/how this will help as all other players will remain wireless, but I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on this approach.

For what it's worth, my wireless network is generally rock solid. I very rarely have any issues other than in the far reaches of the property (thus the powerline kit).

Thanks all,

Tom
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Well a number of comments.

If you are experiencing high levels if interference then your diagnostic will show that. Generally you want to submit the diagnostic within 15 minutes of an issue happening but it does sound like you are in a high interference potential environment.

You ONLY have the choice of channels 1, 6 or 11 for your Sonos and for your Wi-Fi you need to select one of the others that Sonos is NOT on - If you select anything other than 1, 6 or 11 (Can that be done??) you will certainly have some level of interference.

Others will have advice but you should ensure your system is optimal as there is little you can do about external wireless interfering.

Regards

Thanks Stuart. Now that I know about the diagnostic I'll do this should it happen again.

I did take a look at the support information on changing Sonos channel (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1230/kw/set%20wireless%20channel/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ3NjcwMTYxOS9zaWQvb3RQSktqMW4%3D) but if I understand correctly if the Sonos is entirely wireless it's using my existing wireless network and therefore I assume there is nothing to change on the Sonos itself (?)

Does this change if I wire one of the players to my network?
Userlevel 7
Hi twuk

Just my two cents....

Barring any IP Address conflicts ...which to resolve requires disconnecting all clients (recommend pulling power to force client reboot) then rebooting your modem and router. Allow modem to reboot, then router and each client individually including Sonos. When setting up Sonos setup all speakers one by one rather than jumping between clients. Also Sonos does not recommend the use of Powerline adapters...click the link:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127/kw/powerline/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ3NjcwNjM5Ni9zaWQvUmJhbzFrMW4%3D

Also, if you have a dual or tri-band router make sure the Sonos is on 2.4Ghz band. There have been rare instances in a WiFi setup where some speakers will try and connect to the 5Ghz band and work intermittently and then dropout.

To remove WiFi from the mix I suggest setting up Sonos in Bridge/Boost mode either by direct Ethernet to a speaker or introducing a Sonos Boost which provides more flexibility for speaker placement. Additional Boosts can be used to extend the Sonos Mesh to weak signal areas instead of using a Powerline adapter.

Hopefully you'll get your issues resolved soon so that you can move on with enjoying your Sonos system!

Cheers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Thanks all once again. Unfortunately after my earlier reconfiguration, the issue has started again. To be clear on the subject of powerline, I'm not using the powerline for Sonos. It exists for other devices at the further reaches of my network.

One question as I set about reconfiguring again.. is there an easy way to tell which wireless network Sonos is connecting to? I can't see it in the 'about' screen, nor anywhere else for that matter. (Before anyone asks, there are multiple networks in my property - 2.4 and 5ghz from the router, 2.4 and 5ghz from the powerline. The networks have distinct names so I can be sure which is in use by any given device. I know I will have set it to use a main router network, but not sure if it was the 2.4 or 5ghz.

Thanks

Tom
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Thanks all once again. Unfortunately after my earlier reconfiguration, the issue has started again. To be clear on the subject of powerline, I'm not using the powerline for Sonos. It exists for other devices at the further reaches of my network.

One question as I set about reconfiguring again.. is there an easy way to tell which wireless network Sonos is connecting to? I can't see it in the 'about' screen, nor anywhere else for that matter. (Before anyone asks, there are multiple networks in my property - 2.4 and 5ghz from the router, 2.4 and 5ghz from the powerline. The networks have distinct names so I can be sure which is in use by any given device. I know I will have set it to use a main router network, but not sure if it was the 2.4 or 5ghz.

Thanks

Tom

Managed to find it through my router's web interface, sorting on interface, and confirmed all Sonos players are now connected to the same 2.4ghz network (directly on the router, not via the powerline network). Will continue to monitor.

Would of course still be useful to know if there's a way to confirm this via the Sonos controller. Seems a bit mad that (it appears) I would have to reconfigure the network, connecting Sonos by ethernet, in order to confirm this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It can't be the 5 GHz as Sonos doesn't use that.

Perhaps if you remove it entirely and then re-attach to the correct network
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Twuk, you are operating your system wirelessly in an extremely volatile environment. There is so much to consider and I fear that in this configuration, it will never work reliably due to the heavy amount of WiFi congestion in your vicinity. Please do not wire any Sonos components to your powerline adaptor, this will cause numerous issues, and with greater severity than that which you currently report. I would normally be able to tell you what network Sonos is set up on, but I am afraid that that diagnostic once again, came up blank. We must assume, however, that it is set up on your own WiFi. Otherwise you would not be able to control it. Can you try wiring in a component to your router, so that Sonos can create its own mesh network? If this helps, a BOOST will probably be the way forward. Please let us know how you are getting on.