NVidia Shield TV and PS4 into Sonos PlayBar ? (Random beeping noises with HDMI devices)

• 28 January 2017
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Hey - Whats the best way to do this?

When I try and connect these to through my TV optical output
A: I'm not getting dolby 5.1 and
B: I get weird beeping noises through the playbar. This happens ONLY on HDMI devices, never through the TV freeview

Sonos was not much help with this, on the phone for half an hour and just suggested a problem with the TV output (GREAT!)

Music and regular TV plays great but its a bit upsetting that a £1300 system is struggling with this.

So what are my options?

A new TV, but how do I know if it will pass the audio through correctly?
Ive tried a cheap optical splitter, but that still beeped through the PS4. perhaps because it was cheap and it was still thinking it was receiving the TV signal? Who knows!
A hdmi optical splitter? Again, there are so many of these and they all look so cheap and need remotes, not the best solution....

Current setup;

NVida Shield TV and PS4 into hdmi >
Samsung UE39F5000 TV optical out into >
Sonos PlayBar / Sonos Sub / 2 Play 1's
Ethernet cable into the PlayBar and Sub from a powerline connection, Play 1's working on wifi
Previous diagnostic report 6744168

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6
New number is: 7044895
Watching UFC app on NVidia shield TV - Constant beeping!!!!
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
7 days later - no reply from sonos! ANY HELP AT ALL ?!?!??!?!?!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi chrisredmayne, sorry about the lateness of our reply. We've been a bit swamped recently and are still catching up. A beeping sound is a bit of an unusual one; I'll try to help as best I can. I'm a little concerned by those powerline adapters you have running there. Sonos is often not compatible with these, and we have a history of them causing weird issues. Please remove the powerline system totally just while we are testing this. Your Sonos devices have already been told the credentials for your own wifi, so they will join on to that automatically.

The next test we should try is connecting the PS4 directly to the PLAYBAR with the optical cable. Leave the nVidia Shield out of it for the moment and just play a normal PS4 game or Blu-Ray. If that's OK then try the remote play with the Shield. Let us know the results of this test and send in a new diagnostic. If there's no beeping without the TV connected at all, then it would seem like the TV is the cause of the problem and somehow we'd have to bypass this.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Hi chrisredmayne, sorry about the lateness of our reply. We've been a bit swamped recently and are still catching up. A beeping sound is a bit of an unusual one; I'll try to help as best I can. I'm a little concerned by those powerline adapters you have running there. Sonos is often not compatible with these, and we have a history of them causing weird issues. Please remove the powerline system totally just while we are testing this. Your Sonos devices have already been told the credentials for your own wifi, so they will join on to that automatically.

The next test we should try is connecting the PS4 directly to the PLAYBAR with the optical cable. Leave the nVidia Shield out of it for the moment and just play a normal PS4 game or Blu-Ray. If that's OK then try the remote play with the Shield. Let us know the results of this test and send in a new diagnostic. If there's no beeping without the TV connected at all, then it would seem like the TV is the cause of the problem and somehow we'd have to bypass this.

This may sound really strange but I reinstalled all of the products but did not sync the TV remote control with Sonos and it seems to work fine. If I only use the apps to change volume I haven't heard any beeps! As soon as I press the volume button on the remote though the beeps will start (even with it not being synced!) Its very odd, will carry on testing it out this way and hopefully it will be okay, not the best solution but might have to do until I get a new tv!
Userlevel 1
Badge +6

This may sound really strange but I reinstalled all of the products but did not sync the TV remote control with Sonos and it seems to work fine. If I only use the apps to change volume I haven't heard any beeps! As soon as I press the volume button on the remote though the beeps will start (even with it not being synced!) Its very odd, will carry on testing it out this way and hopefully it will be okay, not the best solution but might have to do until I get a new tv!

Is this common ? Seems to be okay if I don't use the remote, any fix around this so I can control it by my TV remote?