Answered

No Wi-Fi 802.11n for Sonos One... WHY?!

• 8 October 2017
  • 10 replies

I really wish to know why a brand new wireless speaker has to support only the oldest Wi-Fi protocol 802.11b/g... no 802.11ac, neither 802.11n... It's a shame! :@

Any tecnical reason involved?
icon

Best answer by DarwinOSX 10 October 2017, 02:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Sonos does its best to make things backwards compatible to its legacy equipment. If they didn't, you'd have even more folks complaining that their very expensive system wasn't compatible with the new units. Besides, set up as Sonosnet, they effectively use N, and Sonos has found 5 GHz protocols do not penetrate enough to be reliable for streaming between floors and walls, hence why they only use it for surround sound.
It's because they are being cheap. Nothing to do with backwards compatibility. Those protocols are already backwards compatible. They save a tiny amount of money per device that adds up while simultaneously annoying their customers.
Sonos net does not "make" anything N, it doesn't work that way. It's still part of the overall stream no matter how they try to say its its own network. That's marketing nonsense.
Also the faster protocols can also use 2.4ghz, they don't only use 5ghz.
It's because they are being cheap...
Maybe if compared to Apple stuff... :8
It's because they are being cheap...
Maybe if compared to Apple stuff... :8

Hardly. 699 for playbar or sub is pretty ridiculous especially since they haven’t been updated in years. Unless you count the Playbase which I don’t.
The connect is also a ridiculous price for what you get.
At least the homepod will have ac wireless. It will probably sound better than the Sonos One but I’m pretty deep into Alexa.
I don't believe 'being cheap' was meant as in 'being inexpensive', right? 😉
Nobody is obliged to pay the prices if they don't think it is worth it. There is absolutely no need for Sonos to add further compatibility.

It is true that SonosNet is not strictly speaking a separate network but the statement that it is 'the same stream' as wifi is pretty much meaningless.

Experience on here has taught me that there is nothing to be gained by presenting facts to the cynics and conspiracy theorists so I won't wasye further time on this thread.
Nobody is obliged to pay the prices if they don't think it is worth it. There is absolutely no need for Sonos to add further compatibility.

It is true that SonosNet is not strictly speaking a separate network but the statement that it is 'the same stream' as wifi is pretty much meaningless.

Experience on here has taught me that there is nothing to be gained by presenting facts to the cynics and conspiracy theorists so I won't wasye further time on this thread.

🙂
I miss something... conspiracy theorists?! XD
I just asked for a reason for this hw lack.
Anyway, you can say all what you want, but the bitter truth is that Sonos never updated the old stylist 2013's play:1 until today and also after almost 5 years they miss the wifi n support. Maybe they do a great job on other models and surely on sw side, but I feel like the don't care so much about "entry level" products.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The WiFi chip in their products may very well support it (let's just say that I'd be surprised if it didn't), but they're likely not using it to maintain backward compatibility with their "ancient" (by technology standards) products from 10+ years ago. One thing Sonos has been amazing at is ensuring that even their oldest products are able to get many of the latest features. That Alexa voice control? It'll control an old ZP100 (basically a combination of what are now two separate units in the Connect and Connect:Amp) if you happen to still have one that's working.

Now, the next question would be... "If I don't have those old products, how come I can't take advantage of newer standards?" and that's a good question... something only Sonos can answer.
Just bought the sonos one. Once I saw during setup that it doesn't support 5ghz - I like, uhmm, do I really need this thing? Do I want it to keep losing connection because of dozen wifi networks in my apartment?