Answered

No Bluetooth workaround for Sonos One?

• 12 March 2018
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
So yes, the lack of Bluetooth is a glaring issue that I think we all would like to see resolved at some point. Really limits things in a big way, but I kind of wonder if it's possible to do a work around some how.

So, we can take our tablets, with the Sonos app, and run the Sonos One speakers using a number of associated apps, like Spotify, iHeart, Amazon, etc.

Say you just want to watch a movie or something on your tablet, and output the sound to the speakers? If you can output the music stream via Wifi why can't Sonos or some enterprising young developer create a compatible app that will take any sound feed from your Sonos connected device and stream via Wifi the same way?

Seems almost too logical and simple to me. Thoughts?
icon

Best answer by pwt 13 March 2018, 15:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
in my case, they got my money, and boy am I annoyed about it.

Nobody put a gun to your head. Google exists.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have medical patients who make errors. Sometimes it destroys their kidneys. Sometimes their child dies or they marry someone with a genetic disorder. I wonder how telling them to better research their medication, childs behavior or partner would go over? You have the compassion of a brick.
What kind of thread is this?! ....at least it gave some good laughs this morning.

Crops up all the time. Buyer does no research, blames Sonos for not being what it isn't. Just another day in EnTitletown (as opposed to Titletown, which is where I live).
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yep it does I read a ton. i talked to users and NO ONE SAID, this thing wont work with most music sharing unless you pay. That it doesn't have the most basic broadcasting abilities as a remote speaker. I wish to God they had.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Where you live, like in assumption town? You have NO idea what research I did. But feel free to assume.
I have medical patients who make errors. Sometimes it destroys their kidneys. Sometimes their child dies or they marry someone with a genetic disorder. I wonder how telling them to better research their medication, childs behavior or partner would go over? You have the compassion of a brick.

Are you seriously comparing a medical accident, a child's death, or a genetic disorder to the lack of research of an audio speaker? Seek help, man. Seek help.
Where you live, like in assumption town? You have NO idea what research I did. But feel free to assume.

Sure I have an idea; you didn't do enough research to learn that it doesn't do what you hoped it did. Otherwise, you would not have purchased Sonos.

Pretty simple, really.
Yep it does I read a ton. i talked to users and NO ONE SAID, this thing wont work with most music sharing unless you pay. That it doesn't have the most basic broadcasting abilities as a remote speaker. I wish to God they had.

What users did you talk to? None at this site, obviously. Why are you choosing to complain here and not where you got bad information from?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Actually one of the posters who suggested buying Sonos, stating it supported Bluetooth, WAS at this site. The reason i am complaining here, is when a buyer is shopping, this is where they are frequently linked. Just as this post was started by another person who also found the Problem annoying and wanted a workaround.

By complaining here, maybe someone who is shopping, can avoid the same error I made in buying this device.
Userlevel 2
Badge
About Airplay, I have found "The icon for Airplay will appear only if you have a gen2 ATV installed and on your Home Sharing network.". Does this mean i need another device to get an airplay icon on my ipad?
Actually one of the posters who suggested buying Sonos, stating it supported Bluetooth, WAS at this site. The reason i am complaining here, is when a buyer is shopping, this is where they are frequently linked. Just as this post was started by another person who also found the Problem annoying and wanted a workaround.

By complaining here, maybe someone who is shopping, can avoid the same error I made in buying this device.

I read every thread/post on this site and never ONCE saw a poster stating Sonos supports Bluetooth. Show us that post. You can't. It doesn't exist. You are lying.
About Airplay, I have found "The icon for Airplay will appear only if you have a gen2 ATV installed and on your Home Sharing network.". Does this mean i need another device to get an airplay icon on my ipad?

No. You need a Sonos device that supports Airplay 2. The Sonos One, Playbase, Play:5, or Beam. The others predate Airplay 2 and do not have the necessary hardware requirements.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
You have the compassion of a brick.

I have no sympathy for someone who drops $300+ on a product and doesn't do their research.... and then complains about it online.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Actually one of the posters who suggested buying Sonos, stating it supported Bluetooth, WAS at this site.

[citation needed]
Userlevel 2
Badge
I dont need to prove anything to you. It was at this site. If you dont like that I give a crack, what are you 12 years old?
I dont need to prove anything to you. It was at this site. If you dont like that I give a crack, what are you 12 years old?

I don't need you to prove anything to me. I already know you lied.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a sonos one. But no airplay icon appears on my Ipad. Misfit, i am sorry you are a person with no sympathy. We call that sociopathy.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Agasin jgatie your 12 year old nature manifests itself in name calling. How helpful.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Misfit, i am sorry you are a person with no sympathy. We call that sociopathy.

LOL! Oh my.
Airplay on Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

And stop with the "sympathy" stuff. You didn't have a medical disaster, your child didn't die, and you didn't marry someone with a genetic disorder. You simply didn't research a consumer electronics product, and someone saying that is not a sociopath. In fact, you are the sick one for making that accusation.
I have a sonos one. But no airplay icon appears on my Ipad. Misfit, i am sorry you are a person with no sympathy. We call that sociopathy.
Are you suggesting you're a psychiatrist? You lot are supposed to have $ 10,--/month to spend for a streaming service. ? I'm now waiting for a mod to shut down this fatuous conversation.
Userlevel 7
From the OP
I feel pretty ripped off by Sonos. I am VERY sorry i bought one. The lack of bluetooth AND wireless functionalty has left me with a doorstop, for a speaker. I quite simnply wanted to be able to play whatever i am listening to on my Ipad. Sorry, gotta pay for Youtube. ..really? I can listen to you tube on a crappy cell phone but not on my Sonos? Same drill with the various listening services. I can listen to them on my ipad but HAVE TO PAY a subscription to run through my Sonos. I am sorry. this thing is worthless.

@sepharad

Lets' get real. I can't believe this conversation has been commented on by so many. So..I guess you 'll have to add my name to this list of insanity. 😛 sepharad...you need to take ownership for your own stupidity.

Yes, I said STUPIDITY. It shouldn't have taken you very long to figure out that BT connectivity isn't native to Sonos speakers. The first time you tried to connect via BT should have triggered a thought in your brain that maybe it wasn't possible. Do your research before you buy!!

This entire conversation is a waste of value space. You must be laughing your "A" off about how members (including me) are buying into this nonsense. I for one am done after the next few lines!

Go buy another brand of speaker as Sonos isn't for you. JUST TAKE EM' BACK TO WHERE YOU PURCHASED THEM AND STOP RANTING ABOUT WHO SAID THIS OR THAT WHICH SUPPOSEDLY MISLED YOU.

BTW, you did come by the the Sonos speaker(s) legitimately....didn't you? If not maybe that's why you feel ripped off as you can't return what fell-off the back of a truck if you get my meaning.:8

I've probably violated some Code of Community Conduct with this post. So I'll shut-up and go play somewhere else.

See ya!
Userlevel 2
Badge
AJ trek, you are right. I should have returned them immediately. My problem was, I am in Portugal and things like these are not readily available, I had to order them and have them shipped in. That should not have stopped me from returning them, but it did. I find them terribly dissapointing.

Oh and Smilja, I am a retired Psychiatric registered nurse. So yes, your lack of sympathy is pretty appaling.

Have a good night. Both you who were constructive, and to the children.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Let's take a breath everyone and remember to try and stay friendly. The community doesn't allow personal attacks on other users, name-calling or otherwise. I understand getting frustrated and upset, but let's try to keep things pleasant. I'm closing this thread for further comments now, and let's please try not to spread the sentiment to other threads.

@sepharad, I'm sorry you got the wrong information, and if you happen to locate the thread here that you saw saying so, please feel free to send it my way. I'll make sure to correct it as we try to make sure the right information is always available here.

We're always trying to find ways to make playing your music easier on Sonos, while making sure that quality of audio and consistency of stream remained up to our standards. Bluetooth has never been known for this and wasn't included in the product. We've added Airplay 2 fairly recently, and it's included in newer speakers with the needed hardware specifications.

No. You need a Sonos device that supports Airplay 2. The Sonos One, Playbase, Play:5, or Beam. The others predate Airplay 2 and do not have the necessary hardware requirements.

The Amp also supports Airplay 2, and if you have any of those in the house, you can play the stream from an Airplay 2 device and group the Sonos speaker using the Sonos app with any others to play the same audio in all of those spaces.

Make sure you have a Sonos One and not the Play:1, the Sonos One has a flat top cap, with microphones built in. The Play:1 has older hardware and capable of being the receiver for the Airplay2 stream, you have to group it with another Sonos player that is.