Answered

No Bluetooth workaround for Sonos One?

• 12 March 2018
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
So yes, the lack of Bluetooth is a glaring issue that I think we all would like to see resolved at some point. Really limits things in a big way, but I kind of wonder if it's possible to do a work around some how.

So, we can take our tablets, with the Sonos app, and run the Sonos One speakers using a number of associated apps, like Spotify, iHeart, Amazon, etc.

Say you just want to watch a movie or something on your tablet, and output the sound to the speakers? If you can output the music stream via Wifi why can't Sonos or some enterprising young developer create a compatible app that will take any sound feed from your Sonos connected device and stream via Wifi the same way?

Seems almost too logical and simple to me. Thoughts?
icon

Best answer by pwt 13 March 2018, 15:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
There's a workaround, but it will require a Sonos device with a Line In connection. A variety of companies make Bluetooth receivers that you could connect to the Line In on a Play:5 speaker, Connect, or Connect:Amp. Connect your phone to that Bluetooth receiver, then tell your Sonos speaker of choice to play the Line In connection. Now anything you can play on your phone can be played through Sonos.

I don't expect Sonos to ever integrate Bluetooth. The short range and sharing of the 2.4 GHz WiFi band are recipes for disappointment as you walk around your house with your phone and walk out of range of the Sonos speaker you were connected to, or as you start streaming via Bluetooth and a speaker starts cutting out because the Bluetooth signal is interfering with the wireless signal.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I'm not looking to bridge a Bluetooth connection. I've got a pair of Ones. Like I said, stick with the Wifi streaming of device sourced material beyond music.
If the play 1/Sonos One had a line in jack, their use cases would have seen a big increase.

One example of this is that something like a Dot wired to the line in would have added bluetooth capability to the unit, along with all the features that the present Alexa Sonos integration lacks.

The 5 unit is too expensive/large for this use.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The Ones don't have an aux in jack or bluetooth, so lets focus on what we can do app-wise via Wifi.
Who is the we? Someone that will successfully hack into Sonos proprietary protocols?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Good lord. Please read the First Post. I said, Sonos or some enterprising app developer. I said nothing whatsoever about hacking anything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This is well-worn territory, although I fully appreciate the desire for the feature(s), and I think this need will be met by Sonos in a couple of different ways at some point.

Kumar's point is that if a third-party developer wanted to interface directly with Sonos playback protocols, that would require them to be hacked / reverse-engineered. That is factually correct.

Note that if you're an Apple user there are ways to enable AirPlay today (AirConnect, for example), and AirPlay 2 is coming natively to Sonos some time in 2018.

Moderator Note: As stated in this post, this is not intended functionality and we do not have an official workaround at this time. There are further suggestions in this thread for user workarounds, however.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Perhaps you guys are running with different terminology. To me, when talking about Devices, hacking would entail modifying the OS, Bootloaders, etc. I never said to Hack the Sonos One. Sure, it would be wonderful if we could encourage Sonos to allow freer access to stream content from our devices, instead of just a handful of approved apps. After all, they allow Amazon Music, but why not Amazon Video - At least the sound portion? There is no reason why they should be blocking any audio stream that you can play on the controlling device. With Wifi, you have a much greater range and bandwidth capability, so it makes no sense not to leverage these advantages.

Creating a 3rd party app, that would bridge the gap between the Sonos One, and those streaming apps that are compatible would not entail nor require hacking the Sonos One OS. I'm not talking about hacking the OS. I never said to hack the OS.

Hopefully, with the Google integration, we might see a little more open environment that allow greater capabilities.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Here's a workaround to play Bluetooth on Sonos...
https://www.instructables.com/id/Play-Bluetooth-on-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/
Userlevel 2
Badge
I feel pretty ripped off by Sonos. I am VERY sorry i bought one. The lack of bluetooth AND wireless functionalty has left me with a doorstop, for a speaker. I quite simnply wanted to be able to play whatever i am listening to on my Ipad. Sorry, gotta pay for Youtube. ..really? I can listen to you tube on a crappy cell phone but not on my Sonos? Same drill with the various listening services. I can listen to them on my ipad but HAVE TO PAY a subscription to run through my Sonos. I am sorry. this thing is worthless.
I feel pretty ripped off by Sonos. I am VERY sorry i bought one. The lack of bluetooth AND wireless functionalty has left me with a doorstop, for a speaker. I quite simnply wanted to be able to play whatever i am listening to on my Ipad. Sorry, gotta pay for Youtube. ..really? I can listen to you tube on a crappy cell phone but not on my Sonos? Same drill with the various listening services. I can listen to them on my ipad but HAVE TO PAY a subscription to run through my Sonos. I am sorry. this thing is worthless.

Not sure what Sonos speakers you bought, but many Sonos speakers support Apple airplay, which should allow you to play whatever is on your ipad on your Sonos speakers.

As far as the free version of youtube not being available on Sonos directly, that's Google's decision, not Sonos. Google has a policy of not supportting playback of youtube content on devices that do not support video playback. Obviously, bluetooth and airplay are ways around this, since the video will play on your phone/tablet while the audio is on your speaker. I really don't know how that rule applies with youtube music.

I get the frustration with not being able play what you want on your Sonos speaker, but Sonos never advertised to have bluetooth or playing anything you have on your ipad (with non-airplay speakers), so I'm not sure how Sonos ripped you.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Danny, you must be an insider. You tirelessly maintain patrol here 24/7 every day to immediately dispel, spin, and ridicule every single negative post from a frustrated user. I mean, come on already - It's getting old.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just one more thing you gotta pay for or buy to make this thing even basically functional. So Danny, that car I sold you, I never said it had brakes or a fuel tank. There is a basic level of performance assumed by a normal person. This is not a Google policy issue. Other companies make functional systems. Google doesnt stop them Sonos has made design and marketing CHOICES. I can buy a 20 wireless speaker that is more functional than this thing. THAT is how they ripped me off. And people "forgetting" to mention the "little issues" in their reviews. Thats how.
Danny, you must be an insider. You tirelessly maintain patrol here 24/7 every day to immediately dispel, spin, and ridicule every single negative post from a frustrated user. I mean, come on already - It's getting old.
I get your frustration about not being invited as beta tester for Google Home. Doesn't justify an argumentum ad hominem.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Let me go one further. Many of the "Compatible" sites listed by all the fan boys, fail to mention that in europe, half or more aren't available. And it's not just you tube, little ones like...Pandora...then theres Spotify, I had a nice collection of music there, but noooooooo. I have to PAY to hear the music ON SONOS. Not pay to hear the music Dan, Pay to hear it ON SONOS. Another agreement made that leaves me with a paperweight unless i subscribe to their system of Ransom.
Just one more thing you gotta pay for or buy to make this thing even basically functional. So Danny, that car I sold you, I never said it had brakes or a fuel tank. There is a basic level of performance assumed by a normal person. This is not a Google policy issue. Other companies make functional systems. Google doesnt stop them Sonos has made design and marketing CHOICES. I can buy a 20 wireless speaker that is more functional than this thing. THAT is how they ripped me off. And people "forgetting" to mention the "little issues" in their reviews. Thats how.

The requirement for a paid subscription is a decision made by the music service, Sonos has nothing to do with it. Pandora allows free subs, as does Slacker, whereas Spotify requires a premium subscription just to use their own Spotify Connect protocol. Sonos has no financial incentive to limit accounts, for participation in the Sonos Music Partners program is open to all, and it is free.

By the way, you have an iPad, have you tried Airplay yet?
Userlevel 2
Badge
So yeah I am annoyed. I can listen to audible....but not downpour, this but not that and I hate it. You thats the thing about FEELING ripped off. Its how you FEEL. Thats how I FEEL and I shared it. As a consumer we are allowed to do that. So I am sorry you dont understand how I can possibly FEEL ripped off. But trust me, i do. I will never buy a second one or tell anyone how great they are.
Let me go one further. Many of the "Compatible" sites listed by all the fan boys, fail to mention that in europe, half or more aren't available. And it's not just you tube, little ones like...Pandora...then theres Spotify, I had a nice collection of music there, but noooooooo. I have to PAY to hear the music ON SONOS. Not pay to hear the music Dan, Pay to hear it ON SONOS. Another agreement made that leaves me with a paperweight unless i subscribe to their system of Ransom.

I suggest you return your Sonos for a refund, or sell them on e-Bay if outside the return period. They are never going to be what you wish them to, and complaining about it here is nothing but an exercise of screaming at the wind.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sometimes screaming feels good. Sonos makes me feel bad. I have lost time and money buying it, I am not going to waste more selling it. I have not tried Airplay. I will familiarize myself with it. You are correct it will NEVER be what i want. Now I need to find a replacement that does and actually works.
1) YouTube Music is not identical to Youtube the video platform

2) As an example...

Can I use Spotify Free with Sonos?

No, you need a Spotify Premium account to listen to Spotify on your Sonos.

https://support.spotify.com/dk/listen_everywhere/on_speaker/sonos/

3) It's up to the respective service to specify the terms and conditions for third-party platforms like Sonos. How are streaming services supposed to survive, when no-one wants to pay for content?
Sometimes screaming feels good. Sonos makes me feel bad. I have lost time and money buying it, I am not going to waste more selling it. I have not tried Airplay. I will familiarize myself with it. You are correct it will NEVER be what i want. Now I need to find a replacement that does and actually works.

You are wasting your time screaming here in multiple posts because it "FEELS good", but you aren't willing to take the time to sell it to get some money back on a product that makes you "FEEL bad". Pretty unproductive exercise, no?

Oh and the day I let an inanimate object (or even an animate object) dictate how I FEEL, is the day I cut out of this realm. Life's too short to allow a bad purchasing decision to dictate my mood. Just sell the damned thing, you will "FEEL" much better.
Just one more thing you gotta pay for or buy to make this thing even basically functional. So Danny, that car I sold you, I never said it had brakes or a fuel tank. There is a basic level of performance assumed by a normal person.

I agree that people often make this assumption, but it simply isn't an accurate assumption. The Homepod doesn't have bluetooth, does have airplay though. The Google Home products don't have bluetooth either, they use chromecast. Amazon's echo products have bluetooth in some cases, usually to send audio to better speakers, but it can be setup to be just a 'dumb' bluetooth speaker. You're correct that the vast majority of audio/speaker products have bluetooth in some form or another, but not all, and certainly not in the smart speaker market.

This is not a Google policy issue. Other companies make functional systems. Google doesnt stop them Sonos has made design and marketing CHOICES. I can buy a 20 wireless speaker that is more functional than this thing.

You can buy a bluetooth speaker for 20 bucks, absolutely. Perhaps an echo dot or google mini on sale. But you can't buy the audio quality, multiroom functionality, and everything else Sonos does for $20. That's not to knock $20 bluetooth speakers. They have their place, but you're really comparing apples to oranges. It's kind of like comparing a hammer to a cordless drill.

THAT is how they ripped me off. And people "forgetting" to mention the "little issues" in their reviews. Thats how.

Sonos used to specifically say that it wasn't bluetooth on the frontpage, explaining the difference between wifi and bluetooth. I wish they never took it down. People still assumed it had bluetooth, but it did seem to help.
Userlevel 2
Badge
People still post that it IS bluetooth. I read a posting today that set me off.

I am not annoyed by the device, I am annoyed by the people who made and market it. Jgatie i honor how YOU feel about inanimate objects, I am sorry you cannot manage to scrounge together that same understanding for other, but thanks for the moking comment.

How do they survive if people dont pay....well Spotify survives with ADS. Lots and lots of them.

The sound quality...it is merely adequate. Muddy to my ear. So I am not all that enthused about and semblence of high fidelity.

What device supports what services is a two way choice. Sadly, the consumer can only vote with his /her money. in my case, they got my money, and boy am I annoyed about it.
People still post that it IS bluetooth. I read a posting today that set me off.

I am not annoyed by the device, I am annoyed by the people who made and market it. Jgatie i honor how YOU feel about inanimate objects, I am sorry you cannot manage to scrounge together that same understanding for other, but thanks for the moking comment.

How do they survive if people dont pay....well Spotify survives with ADS. Lots and lots of them.

The sound quality...it is merely adequate. Muddy to my ear. So I am not all that enthused about and semblence of high fidelity.

What device supports what services is a two way choice. Sadly, the consumer can only vote with his /her money. in my case, they got my money, and boy am I annoyed about it.

Next time do your homework before buying a product that may not meet your needs.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
What kind of thread is this?! ....at least it gave some good laughs this morning.