New sonos products 2014/2015

• 11 November 2014
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
  • Headliner I
  • 1032 replies
Hi all,

Okay I have to ask - we have all (i hope) seen the new boost (which I just purchased today ;o) but what about the Playbase or other/new product upcoming. Plus a friend tonight said he might hold out on getting sonos as new product range incoming

I'm just getting into sonos and what my whole house (money forthcoming) kitted out with sonos products but what I don't want is to buy a product now and in two month sonos bring out or replace a product range I have just got.

So i don't think you will tell but a heads-up on new product releases would be good unless I've missed the press release on this site.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
First - I have no knowledge.

But I would think because the Play:3's and Play:1's are Sonosnet2 they are unlikely to change.  I think you would be safe buying any of them and be future proof. 

I don't think you are going to see a lot of changes in the existing lineup - maybe just some additions and maybe something such as an updated Connect:Amp or Playbar.  But I don't really see that soon.

Sonos has done well with not obsoleting older equipment (10 year old stuff still works fine) so I wouldn't get overly worried about it if the unit does what you need it to do.
New product request again: eg. Sonos 2, a portable version with re chargeable battery with output power somewhere in between Sonos 1 and 3, and even a Sonos 4 somewhere between 3and 5 power output, should not be seen as a copy of Bose new portable range but would be great to have in the Sonos range, come on Sonos product guys, I want one for my backyard !!! Who else would like something like this from Sonos ???
New product request again: eg. Sonos 2, a portable version with re chargeable battery with output power somewhere in between Sonos 1 and 3, and even a Sonos 4 somewhere between 3and 5 power output, should not be seen as a copy of Bose new portable range but would be great to have in the Sonos range, come on Sonos product guys, I want one for my backyard !!! Who else would like something like this from Sonos ???
If we are just talking about what changes we would like to see I would wish for the following:

-Update the radio in the Play5 so it can be used in video setups.

-Ditch the Playbar and make the standard video configuration 2 Play1s plus a center channel Play5 in front plus a pair of Play1s in the rear and a Sub.

-Create a new "VideoConnect" product that has all the connections for a TV and/or video system and addresses all the existing problems with DTS, HDMI switching, multiple inputs, etc.

-When the Play5 is updated for video it should also get the humidity proofing treatment so it can be used in bathrooms or outdoors. It should also get a new battery base for use outdoors. (separate optional product).

-The Play3 should be dropped from the line. It does not have enough bass to sound good without a sub and with a sub does not sound enough better than the Play1 to justify the extra cost.

-The Play1 should only be sold in pairs and Sonos should phase out support for using a single Play1. Listening to music in Mono is just dumb and invites inappropriate comparisons to Bluetooth speakers and other low end products.

-Sonos should partner with NEEO Inc. or a similar company to support a simpler control option that does not depend on touch screens and menus to improve usability for the elderly and for people who simply do not like or use smartphones and tablets.

-Sonos should add some "Plain English" diagnostic information to the PC app to help folks quickly do their own troubleshooting for simple issues like Wi-Fi interference or network problems.

-Sonos should reduce the number of online services they are supporting and instead do a smaller number at a higher level of quality. They are never going to be able to keep up with the pace of change for all of the service offerings they now have. Currently the lag in feature support and quality issues such as was experienced during the Holidays is annoying the folks who use online streaming while the perceived resource drain preventing attention to long standing issues in local library issues is frustrating those who do not.
You do know that with the introduction of the Sonos Labs API, 99% of music source development is done by the music services themselves?
I did not know that. In that case it would be good to see most of the posts on this site relating to problems with streaming services move to the sites of those respective services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I actually disagree with pretty much ever idea above from User873439

I'm giving my opinion.  User873439 I don't mean to disrespect your ideas I'm just saying for me I just don't agree with Sonos doing any of those things as they would decrease my enjoyment (except I do agree with a better video solution - Playbar2).
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I actually disagree with pretty much ever idea above from User873439

I'm giving my opinion.  User873439 I don't mean to disrespect your ideas I'm just saying for me I just don't agree with Sonos doing any of those things as they would decrease my enjoyment (except I do agree with a better video solution - Playbar2).

Agreed Chris, but added support for Virtual 7.1
I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. I just want to express a point of view that is not often represented here. (I'm assuming that there are others who would agree with me on at least some of these.)

I think a reliance on third party services, third party devices, and ultra portable gadgets to produce good stereo sound is neither stable nor sustainable and we are already seeing that paradigm unravel both in the user interface backlash and the Spotify failures over the Holidays. My suggestions would help re-stabilize the product line both technically and from a market identity perspective.
Yes, it would. But if history is any indication, people would rather blame Sonos than the service provider, no matter who is to blame.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
That's one thing I have noticed here especially with the Spotify issue on xmas day, I don't even use Spotify and it took me all of two minutes to find Spotify support on Twitter and see they had an issue affecting Sonos and working to resolve the issue. But no others would rather blindly rant and lay blame on sonos.
Badge
I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. I just want to express a point of view that is not often represented here. (I'm assuming that there are others who would agree with me on at least some of these.)

I think a reliance on third party services, third party devices, and ultra portable gadgets to produce good stereo sound is neither stable nor sustainable and we are already seeing that paradigm unravel both in the user interface backlash and the Spotify failures over the Holidays. My suggestions would help re-stabilize the product line both technically and from a market identity perspective.

I do and at the same time do not agree with your point on the play3. I have one and placed it in the kitchen dresser which sounded ok but as you say lacked base. I have sinced moved it next to the wall on the kitchen side and it booms base. So much so I had to turn of the loudness and reduce the base on the EQ. As its a passive bass Iit obviously benefits from the right placement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I agree on the Play:3   Placement makes a huge difference.   I used to have one in the corner of my office and the base really had a punch to it.  Away from wall and not a lot.
"-Create a new "VideoConnect" product that has all the connections for a TV and/or video system and addresses all the existing problems with DTS, HDMI switching, multiple inputs, etc."

This would be really awesome and would make the playbar also future-proof. By transmitting the audio to the playbar through wireless (VideoConnect) instead of toslink would make playbar DD+, etc..., capable, which is not feasible currently..

Sonos, please consider this!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings