New Sonos device on FCC site, headphones?

• 6 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

S27 has shown up on the FCC web site, with all the good stuff redacted as usual.

There is a master and a slave device (I thought we were done with that nomenclature?) that takes a 5V 3A input, and is circular. My guess is WiFi-capable headphones, with a smart base station that acts like any other Sonos device.

Details at https://fccid.io/SBVRM027

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Badge +20

Quite possibly headphones which would be very nice. The voltage, current and 2x2 radio do point to something especially with the master and slave as a smaller Move with a base charger would not be described like that.

edit… and the circular laser engraving points to a portable device as it would not easily wear off if laser engraved

edit 2… could be just a BT transmitter for headphones?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Interesting. How long is the typical Sonos timeframe between an FCC registration and product announcement/release? Hopefully they’ll bringing out more than just headphones this year. 

There’s a thread about FCC announcements, you could probably do some extrapolation from that, but it tends to be, if I recall correctly, 3 to 6 months after approval. The listing is just the request for approval.  There is likely a date around which a marketing strategy is based. 

It is somewhat surprising, and I’d think a tad disappointing for Sonos, that they weren’t able to get this out for the holiday purchasing season, which is generally where they seem to like announcing and releasing...but one can understand that it’s not always feasible to do so. 

Oops. That thread doesn’t include dates, but here it is, for reference…

Badge +20

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Noticed that on the shop site earlier whilst browsing for a white sub. Sounds like the rumoured headphones and/or move mini are imminent. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I suspect it will be a smaller version of the Move. Whatever it is though, I hope they do a better job on the battery life than they did with the Move. I’ve been wanting to buy a Move for over a year now but won’t because they’ve never sorted out the abysmal battery drainage issues.

Badge +20

Sonos Roam

Sonos Roam

Sonos Shuffle?  Wonder if Apple still has rights to that name.

It feels as though everyone is already referring to it as the  ‘mini move’, so a different name will be an adjust.    Sort of like how ‘baby yoda’ became ‘Grogu’.

Userlevel 7

The Verge leaked the Sonos Roam today:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/3/4/22313451/sonos-roam-leak-features-specs-price-release-date