New Product showing on FCC - S15

• 28 April 2017
  • 84 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
New listing on FCC today for Sonos product 'S15'

Label is totally square so could be a new connect type device ?

Let the speculation begin !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

84 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
So this was the sonos one?
Cross- linking this to the supposed new S13 as posted here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/new-play-one-codename-s13-with-amazon-alexa-6791079/
Either a microphone product with its own processor and lets you choose which assistant you wanna use or an entirely new speaker with voice integration. Hopefully its better than the HomePod because most reviewers are saying the HomePod sounds better than Play:1s and even bold enough to say a little bit better than Play:3s
I'm guessing it's a stand alone microphone array interface device to integrate Alexa to control legacy Sonos equipment?

Nope. Sadly, it's just a minor update of the Connect.

While this was a huge disappointment, NAD has built some pretty nifty integrated amplifiers with expansion slots for BlueSound cards. Slick idea for those who still want a traditional amplifier with phono preamp, etc, plus integration with their multiroom system and Chromecast.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745C368BLU/NAD-C-368-BluOS.html
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Wouldn't it make sense for them to make a Echo dot like gadget? Then pair with a Play 1, 3, 5. Does not matter
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
All will be revealed. I'm still thinking an evolution of the PLAY:1 with a microphone array.

Buy a dot and place it on top of a speaker. It can't hear you.
Badge +20
It would be sensible for Sonos to make a Play 1 with Mic, but keeping the existing style / format but with a new top / control panel. You would not want or need to pay a premium for two voice enabled speakers configured as a pair or as surrounds. The "new" FCC listing shows the current consumption as 1A, the same as the existing Play 1.
Badge +1
All will be revealed. I'm still thinking an evolution of the PLAY:1 with a microphone array.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Stop press...
Here comes Sonos Voice.....

https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/16219474/sonos-voice-assisted-speaker-event
Badge
Boooo
I'm guessing it's a stand alone microphone array interface device to integrate Alexa to control legacy Sonos equipment?

Nope. Sadly, it's just a minor update of the Connect.
Badge
Yeah that is a bummer. And is what's stopping me from getting one. The previous reference of a $99 product intrigued me but I doubt it'll happen.

Yep, no way is this going to be $99, it will be stuck at $349, which must severely restrict sales. I guess they determined that a $99 Connect would hurt sales of their speaker line. I'm an engineer, not a marketing or finance guy; these decisions seem nutty from an engineer's perspective, but obviously aren't made by engineering.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Yeah that is a bummer. And is what's stopping me from getting one. The previous reference of a $99 product intrigued me but I doubt it'll happen.
Yeah I didn't feel the need for opening a seperate thread with the new filing not likely to hit markets before March.

An updated Connect with improved wifi chipset doesn't sound too shabby though. It's the retail price which has been the real bummer so far (and probably will still be in the future).
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
That appears to be from a separate FCC filing. I'm still curious what the product is that this thread refers to. It may just be a big nothing.
And. Here. We. Go.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/8/28/16214118/sonos-smart-speaker-microphone-fcc-filing-multiple-voice-assistants
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Compare with the pics on ifixit and there are some differences but I'm no expert so don't know if it's just updated components or really a different product. Also some of the dates on the parts are almost a year old. Very strange.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Sonos_Connect
Badge +20
Those photos make no sense for a 2017 product. The internal photos show a level of componentry from 10+ years ago. A new product would have far smaller components, and certainly not a plugin wifi card. The production costs would be far too high to be competitive in a world of $35 Chromecasts and $50 Dots. Those are photos of the existing Connect, which has surely become non competitive at its current price. I don't get it...

Same thoughts here :?
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I'm hoping for a low-cost AirPlay hub but I'm expecting to be disappointed.
Nor does that "style" complement the latest devices, the PLAYBASE and PLAY:5. I'd have assumed that something new would look more iike those, or even the BOOST.
Those photos make no sense for a 2017 product. The internal photos show a level of componentry from 10+ years ago. A new product would have far smaller components, and certainly not a plugin wifi card. The production costs would be far too high to be competitive in a world of $35 Chromecasts and $50 Dots. Those are photos of the existing Connect, which has surely become non competitive at its current price. I don't get it...
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
It will be priced at $99. It will have a combined 3.5mm optical/analog output, like the CCA. It will also have a far-field microphone. Maybe an analog input, but not necessarily, given Sonos emphasis on streaming.

That would kill a lot of birds with one stone if that will also do Alexa. The photos/manuals filed are then a legally possible red herring?

That could make sense. They put up existing Connect info and pictures as an early design disguise, then they "change their mind" on design and features and ultimately release something entirely different but less encompassing than the Connect to keep features limited to add-on Alexa support.
It will be priced at $99. It will have a combined 3.5mm optical/analog output, like the CCA. It will also have a far-field microphone. Maybe an analog input, but not necessarily, given Sonos emphasis on streaming.

That would kill a lot of birds with one stone if that will also do Alexa. The photos/manuals filed are then a legally possible red herring?
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
So will this be cheaper than the existing connect to allow for Amazon dot connection?