New Product showing on FCC - S15

• 28 April 2017
  • 84 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
New listing on FCC today for Sonos product 'S15'

Label is totally square so could be a new connect type device ?

Let the speculation begin !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

84 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
https://fccid.io/SBVRM013
100mA?
Badge +20
Sonos "Alexa" or microphone for Trueplay.
So, voice control coming on Sept 1st?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Interesting that it's only 2.4 GHz... So whatever it is, it doesn't look like it's designed to work as part of a 5.1 system, since those devices are the ones that are dual-band.

And it looks like Monday 8/28, since confidentiality is requested through 8/27...
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The label suggests that its mains voltage powered. I would imagine a smaller unit such as a Sonos equivalent to Amazon echo dot or external trueplay device would be small enough to go for a wall wart instead. On the other hand it also doesnt have high power usage like a speaker or amp (only 100ma). Maybe a new connect then but why no 5 ghz ?
Badge +20
No idea of numbers but as reported on the Forum(s) over the years quite a few of the Bridge PSU have given up the ghost so perhaps that was a deciding factor in making it mains powered?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Maybe a new connect then but why no 5 ghz ?
5 GHz is only used by Sonos devices that are in a surround sound environment. If it won't be part of a surround sound system then it doesn't need 5 GHz wireless.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
https://fccid.io/SBVRM013
"802.11 b/g/n, 3x3, HT20 device"
The 3X3 looks suspiciously close to the 3" Echo Dot. More like Play 1 / Apple TV

"Updated Directional Gain and Output Power Section"
Looks like a microphone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
In this case, 3x3 isn't size... it's the fact that it can handle 3 RF transmissions in each direction at once (aka MIMO, multiple in, multiple out). Same for "Directional gain and output power"... it's using multiple antennas to send a higher power RF signal in a particular direction.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
could it be an outdoor/battery speaker where 5ghz is not needed as wouldnt be part of a surround setup ?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Looks like it could be for my Turntable so i can free up my Sonos CONNECT and put it to better use 🙂
My bet is that it has to do with Alexa integration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

how can that be ? Alexa integration is between an amazon echo device and existing sonos devices (as already announced) so what would an additional device bring ? I doubt sonos could knock out an internet enabled voice activated microphone array for less than an echo dot so why would anyone buy it ?
I haven't seen the videos; so maybe you are right. I still have a Alexa feeling about this though simply because I am not sure Sonos has the bandwidth at this time for anything else! Time will tell...
My guess would be a Alexa enabled Sonos speaker. The echo and echo dot speakers are weak. But so is could do the sound much better. Probably. Gives them more flexibility to work with Amazon to integrate control of playback on different units.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Can't see this as you would need one in every room that you have a sonos system, or you would have to keep moving one from room to room...... The cost of this would not be worth doing as you can get the echo dot for £49 and fire stick for £39 with voice.... i still say it could be for a stand alone phono input sender so we can use our turntables (here's hoping anyway)
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can't see this as you would need one in every room that you have a sonos system, or you would have to keep moving one from room to room...... The cost of this would not be worth doing as you can get the echo dot for £49 and fire stick for £39 with voice.... i still say it could be for a stand alone phono input sender so we can use our turntables (here's hoping anyway)

I think thats a pretty niche market - people who still own (and use) turntables who also happen to want to link it to sonos gear !

Thinking broader it could indeed be an 'input only' simplified sonos connect but I would hope it also has digital input as well as analog. Maybe USB also. This would bring it more in line with the numerous competitors who provide these inputs as standard on even their most entry level speakers !
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
looking at this again, Sonos are looking to add mics to there play speakers if this link is any think to go by: https://www.cnet.com/news/sonos-demonstrates-amazon-alexa-control-says-other-assistants-are-coming/

Sonos' Antoine Leblond demonstrates a working version of Alexa voice control.
The company is believed to be working on speakers that incorporate a far-field microphone instead of having to rely on separate dongles such as the Alexa Dot which was used at the demonstration.

Looks like my Turntable will be staying connected to the Sonos CONNECT for now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
My guess is it's a Mic that will allow Alexa control of systems with no Alexa hardware present - that can also hopefully be used for Truplay.
Pricing will be key though - it needs to be cheaper than a Dot I'd say.
What do you mean by Alexa control with no Alexa hardware? Do you mean Amazon hardware?

It would be interesting to see if Sonos comes out with their own microphone. It may be a necessity in order to create the proper functionality and ease of use. Reading the article, it sounds like Sonos believes it's important that the voice commands not be complex like "Alexa, tell Sonos to pause", but instead simple like "Alexa, pause". If Amazon won't allowed that configuration, that Sonos has to have their own hardware. It sound minor, but it's actually a hug difference.

There is also the statement that Sonos wants to be voice service diagnostic. If they have their own mic, then that may be a lot easier. You just tell the mic what voice service to use, and away you go.

The downside to this is that you likely won't be able to get the latest voice assistant, like the Echo Show. As well, you might not be able to have your Sonos/echo in the same space as your Amazon Echo. The Amazon may hear your Sonos command not be able to act on it.

And yes, cost would be a factor. I won't be happy if I have to spend a $100 to the replace the echo dot I already have just to get it to work with Sonos correctly. I'll be even more unhappy if I have to buy a full size $200 speaker I don't need to get the integration.

In my perfect world, this is Sonos speaker with echo built in, but I can integrate my existing echos with existing Sonos speakers so I don't have to spend a penny, if I so chose. For one thing, the separation is a must for outdoor applications, I have an echo dot with attached battery that I like to take to the backyard, while the connect:amp is safe inside a closet. Being able to control the music on the dot, no where near the amp is the only way it would work.
Sonos has stated the Alexa integration will work with all current and previously sold Sonos and Alexa enabled devices. So if you go by that statement, your old Sonos devices will be able to be controlled by your old Alexa device. Nothing new to buy to get the integration if you currently own both Sonos and an Alexa device (Echo, Dot, Tap, Fire tablet, Fire TV).
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
What do you mean by Alexa control with no Alexa hardware? Do you mean Amazon hardware?Yes I mean Amazon hardware. As jgatie says, if you already have Alexa hardware you will be good to go when it is finally rolled out.
Sonos could be looking at this as a way of adding Alexa functionality to existing Sonos but non-Alexa households - and could be a Sonos/Amazon collaborative effort. As I say though it's not easy because I think it has to be at most the price of a Dot - otherwise why get one?
If it were a microphone bearing device (ignoring the Amazon issue for the moment), it would be a potential "fix" to the problem of Trueplay not being available on Android, no?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, I said so above. People have asked for a microphone before and such a device could kill two birds with one stone..