New portable travel SONOS Speaker with Bluetooth for stand-alone usage & WiFi for use at home with your SONOS system

Userlevel 2
Would you please create a portable travel speaker (like the cool new Bose Soundlink Mini or Jambox or Beats Pill) with Bluetooth and also links with your WiFi setup at home? I only use a travel speaker 3 times a year, so it would be great if I could also use it in my Sonos setup at home.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Badge +1
A workaround for the Jambox: [list]
  • When traveling, use it with Bluetooth
  • When at home, wire it to a Sonos Connect with an RCA-to-3.5 cable[list]
  • Great suggestion, I have made it myself. The unit could be rechargeable, and ready to unhook from the mains/network in an instant. Next thing you know you are camping with your sonos.
    Userlevel 2
    Good stuff
    Userlevel 3
    Badge +4
    It says "implemented" - does this mean this speaker has been made or is being made and soon to be released?
    Userlevel 3
    Badge
    Where can i find this speaker?
    SONOS PLEASE BUILD THIS SPEAKER.
    I agree. You are behind the times without one. I'm willing to wait for it, but a timeline would be great
    Yes I agree, you have to do this soon! The market is there for it ... Call it the sonos mini or something 🙂
    I agree but it will need to have big sound to outdo the competition like the UE Boom and water resistance would be a great addition to so it can be taken to the beach/pool etc
    Userlevel 6
    Badge +16
    I agree but it will need to have big sound to outdo the competition like the UE Boom and water resistance would be a great addition to so it can be taken to the beach/pool etc
    There are lots of different posts requesting a portable Play device from sonos. Currently none of the Play devices support Bluetooth or have a battery, so sonos would need to build a whole new device that could work via battery and Bluetooth. I have no knowledge of sonos's plans to release any device that is truly portable and can only hope they do.
    I have seen a number of posts all requesting the same. Have decided to buy a bose sound link mini. I would have preferred a sonos product but there we go!
    Userlevel 5
    Badge +2
    Such a single device would introduce AirPlay etc through the back door, so i wouldn't hold my breath for that, unfortunately. 
    Userlevel 2
    Badge
    Please Sonos make this speaker a reality, I currently have a great system, 2x Playbar 2x Sub 4x Play 1 4x Play 3 2x Play 5 This is one component I need (knowing me I'd probably buy more than one) and have asked for a number of times, make it as versatile as possible, Bluetooth, WiFi (Using Sonos App), Line In, Internal Battery, Water Resistant and Charging Dock that when it's returned to automatically reconnects it to your Sonosnet. Probably sounds like a fan boys wishlist but we can all dream big. Thankyouplease
    I take it this answers my question then, I'm trying to decide between bose, samsung or sonos but I really want a speaker that can be easily detatched from the setup with a rechargeable battery in it. It doesn't look like Sonos does one, bose seems to be trying to make me decide between bluetooth and wireless while the samsungs my wife said were too ugly to have in the house!
    Badge +1
    I take it this answers my question then, I'm trying to decide between bose, samsung or sonos but I really want a speaker that can be easily detatched from the setup with a rechargeable battery in it. It doesn't look like Sonos does one, bose seems to be trying to make me decide between bluetooth and wireless while the samsungs my wife said were too ugly to have in the house!
    • A SONOS speaker is four things: [list]
    • Speaker
    • Linux computer
    • Power supply
    • Network device, both: [list]
    • WiFi network
    • Ethernet network
    [/list]
  • A portable speaker is three things:
    • Speaker
    • Battery pack
    • Wireless input, one or more of: [list]
    • Bluetooth?
    • WiFi?
    [/list] [/list] You can get an easily-detachable, good-sounding water-resistant speaker with a large-capacity battery pack, in a color your wife can tolerate, such as an Ultimate Ears UE Megaboom or whatever TheWirecutter's current pick is. Fill the patio with sound, dance on the beach. Then at home, link it to a SONOS:CONNECT, which is a SONOS speaker minus the speaker plus some additional electronics (codecs) that does not sell in the same massive quantities as a speaker and thus does not benefit from massive-quantity cost reductions. Boo hoo.

Nearly everything that makes a portable speaker or a network-connected speaker costly is invisible background stuff like battery packs, power supplies, CPUs, WiFi and Bluetooth radios, so the price will always be surprising compared to a plain old speaker.
  • If they don't release anything i'm buying one of these. Thought about Bose for a while but this has more functionality and DAC.

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/airstream/s200

I would pay twice as much for a Sonos version.
    Please build this speaker... having a play one with battery pack and loading dock is what people want.
    Sonos has to go with that trend. If not I'm gonna sell sonos and go for vizio smart cast 360 https://www.vizio.com/smartcast-portable-speaker-crave-360
    I doubt this will happen in the visible future. The good thing is that there are many other makes that offer very capable solutions for this application. And most people have equally capable phones now with the capability to send the music that the phone can play via bluetooth to these speakers, for excellent results out of doors. Where the use of a phone compromises music play each time the phone is used for its main purpose, a dedicated to music but cheap handheld device works brilliantly.

Which begs the question: does anyone know of a portable speaker that can play music in a WiFi covered area using built into it WiFi capability, and which also has the capability to hold some music in an internal memory?
    Userlevel 7
    Badge +22
    Which begs the question: does anyone know of a portable speaker that can play music in a WiFi covered area using built into it WiFi capability, and which also has the capability to hold some music in an internal memory?

If it doesn't also make me a proper cup of tea in the morning I'm not interested
    Lol. I find a lot of use for a USD 100 splash proof battery powered JBL portable when outdoors away from home; I use it with a iPod touch streaming out its local content via BT, a device that is now useless for everything else thanks to Apple, and this works very well. My thinking was if there was a way to eliminate the handheld, there might be a market for it. On second thoughts, the iPod also serves as a remote music selector and volume control, so things are probably fine just the way they are with the JBL at this time. Sound quality is quite acceptable for the size and features on offer, and is tailored to the outdoors to an extent.
    Userlevel 1
    Add me to the list of people who would like to see (and buy!)a Small (Play 1) sized portable/rechargeable speaker. It would be a double bonus if it was also bluetooth capable so i could take it out of wifi range and simply connect my phone... It's strange that the best "wireless audio" company in the world is still so attached to electrical wires...:@
    Not sure how it would work as a Bluetooth device. The controller app on your phone doesn't actually play anything, it just tells the speaker where to find the data it uses to play music. It's like saying you want to disconnect your tv from the antenna, and still watch the movie.

Sonos is connected to Wifi just as much, if not more, than it is to the power cord.
    It is hard to understand why Sonos has not created a portable speaker. I have waited now for over a year in hopes they would step up to the requests. I am now going to purchase the Bose soundlink :?
    Userlevel 1
    Badge
    echo this request. I have a Brazen and a Bose SL, BUT I would prefer to have a portable Sonos travel speaker. Of course, one of the riddles to be solved is 'away-from-home' wifi connectivity (in a hotel room for example). The current necessity for a hard wired ethernet connection to change the Sonos wifi connectivity is an impediment. (I purchased a HooToo travel router as a work around for vacation, but the Sonos One is too cumbersome to lug around on business trips). [If a request falls in the forest ... ?]