Answered

New Portable speaker

• 18 June 2021
  • 7 replies

My new Sonos Portable needs an overnight charge, is it normal that it should take so long? Also the charge dissipates quickly, no where near the advertised number of hours. Also it switches itself on when i use the app regardless of whether I plan to listen to it which probably does not help battery life. Do I have a faulty battery? Can it be programmed to only come on via its switch 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 18 June 2021, 14:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

My Apple Magsafe charger takes 9hrs to charge the Roam from 2% to full.

This is my experience and understanding of Roam charging…

A Qi charger will only charge the Roam at a rate of 5 watts power-output max. regardless of the chargers power-input.

A USB charger will charge the Roam at a minimum rate of 7.5w (5v x 1.5A), or it seems you can use a USB charger upto 15w (5v x 3A). The official charger recommended is 10.5w (5v 2.1A).

I currently use a 5v/3A charger which charges the Roam from 5% to 100% in 2hrs 15mins. My Dual Qi charger takes 6+ hours to charge the device fully from empty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I bought the wireless charger from Sonos with the productexpecting it to be the correct specification, there was no choice of voltage or amperage.

The wireless charger that comes with the Roam Wirless charger is 10w.  Are you using that?

If you an old charger it can be as low as 2 amps which will take a long time.  You need a charger that will output 10w as suggested above.  

I bought the wireless charger from Sonos with the productexpecting it to be the correct specification, there was no choice of voltage or amperage.

“a wireless charger” has no real meaning, unless you include the voltage and amperage, as in the examples quoted above. Without the appropriate amount of power, yes, it would be impracticable. But if it has enough power, it would be fully appropriate to use, and there could be an issue with your particular Sonos device. 

Thanks for the reply. I am know using the full shut down which is helping. 

I have a wireless charger are we saying this is impracticable for realistic charging times? 

Userlevel 7

From Sonos:

“For the fastest charge, we recommend charging Roam with a 5V/2A (10W) USB power adapter. While Roam is capable of charging with a 5V/1.5A (7.5W) USB power adapter, you may experience slower charging times. Common 5V/1A (5W) phone chargers will not be able to charge Roam.”

To conserve battery, turn off the Roam completely by pressing and holding down the button on the back for five seconds until you hear a chime. Currently you are just putting the Roam to sleep which allows the battery to drain when not in use and allows the Roam to wake up anytime you open the Sonos app.