New Play One (codename S13) with Amazon Alexa

• 25 September 2017
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

To be announced October 4th in NYC

Source: http://stadt-bremerhaven.de/sonos-smart-speaker-s13-taucht-auf/

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Well, if true, for me it was infinitely cheaper to purchase a Dot, rather than thinking about replacing all of the PLAY:1s I already have. But it would make a nice addition in the future for those who haven't yet purchased a PLAY:1

I thought the S-13 was proven to be the revised CONNECT in another thread.
Ah, that was the S15, as discussed here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/new-product-showing-on-fcc-s15-6773941/
Seems like a nifty marriage of a Dot + play 1 if for real. Those that don't need a new 1 unit presumably will be served by buying just a Dot.
I wonder how much of the Alexa feature set this will support as compared to a Dot plus a regular Play1? Alexa phone calls? Sync with other Echo speakers?
All will be revealed...just don't ask me when!
Those that don't need a new 1 unit presumably will be served by buying just a Dot.

There's a range of other solutions either already available or to be released rather soon. The next generation Echo will be way smaller than the Echo gen1 and comes with improved sound quality. Eufy's Genie would be another Dot alternative, sporting better tweeters than the original Dot at a similar size.
Eufy's Genie would be another Dot alternative, sporting better tweeters than the original Dot at a similar size.
And it will work exactly as a Dot would, including in the to be released integration of Alexa with Sonos?
PS: from a review: "But I’ve been testing the Genie for a few weeks, and I don’t think that $15 savings is worth what you give up over the Echo Dot."
I agree - why not stick to the Dot and play safe?
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
Apparently it may have "multiple voice platforms and music services", so it could even have Google Assistant..?
[quote=Kumar]
I agree - why not stick to the Dot and play safe?

Well, horses for courses. :)

If you have a large home to fill with near-field mics and are not in absolute need of Bluetooth support, cheap devices like the Genie might just be a bit of a cost saver compared to Amazon's own product range.
In general I welcome the growing amount of VR products, no matter which manufacturer. Competition is what this market needs and it finally seems to get up to speed.

Also really interested what Apple is going to come up with in terms of supported services for the HomePod. The first gen could be a turd, just like the very first iPhone and Apple Watch were. But they have a tendency to effectively refine their products with later models, so let's wait and see.
Amazon simply rules that market niche at the moment and if the Echo 2's sound quality actually comes close to that of the Sonos Play:1 it's going to be a very interesting year for consumers indeed.
I wonder how much of the Alexa feature set this will support as compared to a Dot plus a regular Play1? Alexa phone calls? Sync with other Echo speakers?

Excellent questions. I would guess the answer is no to both those functions. First, because those features currently only work with Echo's and are not features of all Alexa enabled devices. Second, because that would likely cause confusion between sonos and amazon multiroom, and might causes customers to think they are one in the same thing. I doubt either company really wants that. Third may be because this isn't supposed to be an Alexa dedicated device. So are we expecting it to work with google calling as well?

If those features do work though, I'd be curious to see what happens if you group the S13 with the other sonos speakers in the house while use the Alexa features. I can see where that would not be allowed.
Looks like they’ve finally talked with Amazon about pricing structure of Alexa-enabked speakers. 49, 99, 149 for the echoes while SONOS’ will start on the high end 199 (S13) and 399 (S15).

PS. This is just pure speculation.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
rdy0329 I saw the new Amazon Echo devices but never made the connection to Sonos with Alexa. I wonder how the new Echo's will cooperate with Sonos, especially the Echo Show