New play 1 won't connect to existing system

• 14 November 2014
  • 4 replies

Hi there, I've just bought a third play 1 to add to the two I currently have connected to my Bridge.  For some reason the new component is not connecting to the system when I press the play and vol up buttons as requested.  I'm confused as the other two play1s are working fine.  I have tried connecting using both my Android phone and my Mac, and the result is the same. The new component is definitely within range of the Bridge/router. Any ideas? Hi there, I've just bought a third play 1 to add to the two I currently have connected to my Bridge.  For some reason the new component is not connecting to the system when I press the play and vol up buttons as requested.  I'm confused as the other two play1s are working fine.  I have tried connecting using both my Android phone and my Mac, and the result is the same. The new component is definitely within range of the Bridge/router. Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi User102220,

I would like more information about your Sonos system, can you submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here is a FAQ showing you how to submit a system diagnostic
Also with the PLAY:1 in question that will not connect to the system, for test would you wire it via Ethernet to the router or BRIDGE and try to add it? If it work submit a diagnostic.

That said, if the PLAY:1 will not connect when wired factory reset only the PLAY:1 in question and try to add it again. FAQ: How to factory reset a Sonos unit.

Let us know how it goes.
I am also having this problem. I tried factory resetting my play 1 and it did not work. I was only able to add the new play 1 to my controller through my android phone by starting a new system. I was able to add the old play1 without issue to that network. However, the new play1 tells me it needs an update. When I try to update, it tells me it works and then tells me it needs an update again. I have tried having the new play1 on a sonos network by itself and it continues the update loop. I have not been able to find anything on ask.sonos.com that offers solutions that work. 
Hi, I also have a very similar issue. I have a sinks bridge with an existing 5.1 set up (play bar, 2x play 1’s and a sub), 1 x Play 3 & 1 x play 1 that are all working perfectly. I have just purchased 2 x Play 1’s and neither will connect to my system. I have tried a factory reset of the new Play 1’s and also a wired set up with no joy. When adding the new speakers using my iPhone, it finds the Play 1 and displays its MAC address, but shortly after I press Play/Pause & + buttons I get the message NOT CONNECTED your Sonos product was not found. I have even tried changing the Wi-fi Chanel on the bridge. Please can someone help?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, I also have a very similar issue. I have a sinks bridge with an existing 5.1 set up (play bar, 2x play 1’s and a sub), 1 x Play 3 & 1 x play 1 that are all working perfectly. I have just purchased 2 x Play 1’s and neither will connect to my system. I have tried a factory reset of the new Play 1’s and also a wired set up with no joy. When adding the new speakers using my iPhone, it finds the Play 1 and displays its MAC address, but shortly after I press Play/Pause & + buttons I get the message NOT CONNECTED your Sonos product was not found. I have even tried changing the Wi-fi Chanel on the bridge. Please can someone help?

It sounds like your new speakers are not getting assigned a network address properly. Please reboot your router, then try to add the speakers again. If that doesn't work, submit a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.