Question

New LG TV's and 5.1 pass through

• 23 February 2015
  • 65 replies

Userlevel 1
I know this is a recurrent topic, but I actually believe it would be very helpful if Sonos address this issue in a concise webpage with continuous updates. Right now the whole forum is full of questions about TV's ability to pass-through a 5.1 HDMI signal. The (so voted) most helpful comment on amazon about the playbar is about the problem of not getting a real surround but an artificial constructions from a PCM 2.0 signal from the TV. And this is also the main issue mentioned in CNET for the review of the playbar.

So, guys, could you make a systematic and compressive study/review of which TV's will work with the Sonos surround system? I'm currently considering to get a full sonos surround pack, but I cant not make a decision before knowing if my LG 65UB930T (LG65UB9500 in USA) is able to pass the signal form the devices connected to the HDMI ports. And I believe this situation is generalized for all potential consumers, many of them buying your product without being aware of the issue with the 5.1 signal. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

65 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
This is a handy webpage that shows the audio pass through capabilities of some TV's.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough
BigTim,

By PS, I assume you mean a PlayStation?

If you've set the audio settings in the PlayStation, you should then check the audio settings in the TV set. It may be down converting the signal to stereo.
Badge
I have an LG OLED55B6P and it passes through 5.1 no problem.
Thanks Airgetlam

I tried that and still stereo. I've read about changing from PCM to AC3 in the service menu but not sure how to get into it. Will get technician out and feedback.
You're most welcome. I'll be interested in what you find out from the technician.
I have fixed this problem on my LG 55LA690V-ZB TV. Basically I wrote to LG support and they sent me the following settings and it now works fine.

From LG support
The Sound Out settings, I would suggest ensuring the AV Sync Adjust is turned on, as well as Bypass.
I would also check that the Sound Output is set to Auto and not PCM, as PCM is limited to 2.1 Sound Output.

It didn't work until I ticked the Bypass box then it worked fine.

Hope this helps
Chris
Thanks for all the replies.

The technician just left. The EDID in the service menu was set to DTS, which he changed to AC3 and that worked. The playstation now plays crisp 5.1 Dolby Digital. The only thing we couldn't fix was my pc which uses Nvidia Geforce driver. My MacBook plays 5.1 but my pc won't. We checked the other settings for the EDID but couldn't sort that out so I assume its a graphics/sound card issue which is a problem for another day.
There was someone else posting a similar issue yesterday, about a graphics card that didn't actually output 5.1 through the HDMI cable. I think he/she replaced the video card with a newer one.

I wonder what the cost difference between the two sorts of chips is.

In any case, I'm delighted that you're on your way.
Badge
Nice, thanks for the quick reply. Do you have the Sub with the Playbar? I currently have the Playbard and two Play 1s and don't notice the canceling out that you mention but I don't have the sub and am considering adding that soon.

I have the Playbar and Sub, and just added two Play 1's, and the 5.1 playback from my Tivo Bolt, Netflix via my Sony 4k TV is really nicely distributed. HDMI from the Tivo to the TV, and optical cable from TV to Playbar.

We're any additional steps required to get this working with your 2016 LG OLED TV?

I have the Oled65b6p and this is the only shimmer of compatibility that I've been able to find. Interested in Sonos, but have not purchased yet.
Badge
I have the Sony XBR55X900C connected via optical cable to the Sonos PlayBar, Sub Woofer, and two Play 1's and it works great. MyTivo Bolt is connected to the Sony TV via HDMI cable to input all audio and video. I did change the audio setting on the Tivo Bolt under Dolby Audio to PCM only (no Dolby) as per Sonos tech recommendation.

We're any additional steps required to get this working with your 2016 LG OLED TV?

I have the Oled65b6p and this is the only shimmer of compatibility that I've been able to find. Interested in Sonos, but have not purchased yet.

I can confirm that the OLED65B6P DOES support 5.1 pass-through. It required going into settings --> Sound --> then setting the "Sound Out" option to "LG Sound Sync (Optical)" and then setting "AV Sync Adjustment" to "On" and enabling "Bypass". After this, I got 5.1 fine from an Xbox One S (configured with bitstream output via HDMI and Dolby Digital Surround.

I can confirm that the OLED65B6P DOES support 5.1 pass-through. It required going into settings --> Sound --> then setting the "Sound Out" option to "LG Sound Sync (Optical)" and then setting "AV Sync Adjustment" to "On" and enabling "Bypass". After this, I got 5.1 fine from an Xbox One S (configured with bitstream output via HDMI and Dolby Digital Surround.

2 corrections:
1. The LG must be set to 'Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC)' with the optical set to 'Auto', not the LG Sound Sync option.
2. The Xbox must be on Dolby Digital, not DTS.

With bypass enabled per the above, the Sonos controller app should now show 'Dolby Digital 5.1'.
Ziptbm,

THANK YOU!!!!

I've been trying to get this working for hours! You nailed it! Can't even imagine how much time I would have spent trying to figure it out. Confirmed and working like a charm!
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Does anyone know if a LG 55LW5600 passes true 5.1 through the digital output?
If this is not too late a reply, then I have a LG47LW5500 that passes Dolby 5.1 very well to the playbar.
So I also have the 2016 LG OLED model. Under my Sonos it is showing Stereo still although I have done all things outlined a few posts above. I do hear like my surround P1's are indeed playing the role of a surround speaker but something must be wrong because as others have said it should say Dolby 5.1 surround under "My Sonos". For reference I have John Wick in right now playing under the Dolby Atmos track. Does it automatically downgrade that to 5.1? Or do I have to have a true 5.1 Dolby track to get the effect? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Your LG OLED will pass through everything it receives, to the playbar if set to auto. So if any signal other than 5.1 is passed thro, the playbar will produce pseudo surround, stereo, or no sound at all.
You can set the LG sound output to stereo pcm if you are getting no sound, ie from DTS sound tracks from blurays.

Sonos suggest you just use streaming services with 5.1 sound content to overcome problems with physical discs....
Thank you for your reply Paul.

I just do not understand why Sonos is telling me I am receiving "Stereo" when I am hearing all the smaller detailed sounds from to play 1 surrounds. It makes me think I do not have something setup correctly! Any other thoughts, folks?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
It is receiving stereo, then processing it and sending sonos simulated surround sounds to the play1s.

2 corrections:
1. The LG must be set to 'Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC)' with the optical set to 'Auto', not the LG Sound Sync option.

With bypass enabled per the above, the Sonos controller app should now show 'Dolby Digital 5.1'.

Hello, first of all thank you very much for the answer but isn't DTS better than DD so why we don't select it on Xbox one ? Thank you
Because the Sonos speakers will not produce sound when given a DTS signal, they can't interpret it. And if your Xbox One is sending that signal to your TV, the TV will just be handing it off to the speaker, and not converting it down to Dolby Digital.
Because the Sonos speakers will not produce sound when given a DTS signal, they can't interpret it. And if your Xbox One is sending that signal to your TV, the TV will just be handing it off to the speaker, and not converting it down to Dolby Digital. I found myself here, Sonos forums, after hours of searching on Google etc.. so please excuse me and tell me if my speaker setup support these modes:

DTS 96/24, DTS decoder, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-ES decoder, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS-HD LBR, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx

Can I enable dts on my Xbox one?
The Sonos system should be able to support these: Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx

To my knowledge, pushing any of those others to a Playbar or Playbase will result in silence.
It's work after following ur instructions. Thanks!

2 corrections:

Hello, first of all thank you very much for the answer but isn't DTS better than DD so why we don't select it on Xbox one ? Thank you
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Because the Playbar does not decode DTS. If you give it DTS there will be no sound.