Question

Need Outdoor Speakers

Userlevel 4
I know there has been a lot of request's for outdoor Sonos systems. I enjoy your product throughout my house and do not feel like getting below quality third party outdoor speakers and a connect or amp to drive them. I believe it is just time to develop an outdoor rated soffit speaker se we can enjoy Sonos quality audio on our Patio, instead of plugging and unplugging a Play 1 or 5 every time we go outside and linking it up to our phones, way easier to carry around a Bluetooth, but then you lose out on the Sonos sound quality. I understand they have been researching this for like 3 years, time to take a leap and be proactive as I believe this would be a huge selling point for Sonos, instead of urging us to buy competitors products. I believe that when Sonos recommends this, most people skip out of buying the Connecticut and/or Amp and buy a complete separate Bluetooth or other system when makes it a pain in the ass to have so many sound systems that could easily be averted by producing a simple outdoor Patio speaker that can be set up ready for use anytime the weather permits. If you need a product tester please let me know, just my two cents anyways.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have used Connect AMP with high quality outdoor speakers that were professionally installed for years with no issues and phenomenal sound and SONOS ease of use. Earlier in thread was suggestion for a rechargeable SONOS Play 1 that could live on rechargeable base like many available Apple airplay type speakers. On top is a little handle, grab it go outside, put it on the patio table, it stays connected to existing wifi network, and when done, it gets placed back on the base. How hard can that be? What say you @sonos?
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
In the past - I use a connect amp indoors and regular third party outdoor speakers. I've had transmission problems when I get too far away (eg - I had one in a shed next to the pool and it wouldn't work unless I opened the door to the house) - so outdoor sonos speakers would need both power and a signal. I'm guessing that is what holds up the new product.
Userlevel 1
I thought of that, but am hoping SONOS give us a long term solution for outside. Weatherproof, connected all the time, etc. BUT....our suggestion is not bad to bring in and out when we need it. It certainly will work.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
How about a battery operated Sonos 1 (see Heos 1 with go pack for inspiration ).
Please...I need outdoor speakers for my Sonos system! What is the delay? Thanks and love my Sonos system

"What is the delay" assumes there is actually something being worked on. Sonos has never indicated that an outdoor speaker is coming, so nothing is "delayed", it just doesn't exist.
Userlevel 1
Please...I need outdoor speakers for my Sonos system! What is the delay? Thanks and love my Sonos system
Sonos changed our lives (indoor), now we need you to do it again - outdoor. It's 2018, make it happen. Don't disappoint, just get it done. Now please.
Don't make me buy inferior outdoor speakers. That would put a frown on my face every time I play music (that my kids apparently don't like. But they'll learn to appreciate it. Particularly if it's playing in the background outside). #HelpSonos only you can saver our family
Just for all who stumble across this. I have a switched ceiling outlet under my covered patio. I have 2 play:1 speakers plugged in. They have been outside for 2 years and have no sign of any deterioration and still work perfectly. I live in FL as well. I was told by the guy at bestbuy that as long as they are covered and not directly exposed to the elements they will be fine. Do as you wish - but so far so good. In due time I will update the post if needed.
Hey Sonos, is there any updates on the original post in this thread? Maybe a battery powered speaker I can drag out to the fire pit that's connected to the rest of my Sonos system?
I suspect the liability lawyers may have an issue with a plug in device being designed for use in a potentially wet environment. It's why we can't have nice things, all the people who aren't smart enough to handle electrical components in wet areas. I saw recently a young lady electrocuted in her bath by plugging in a frayed power cord and running it to her bath to charge her phone. Unfortunately, often those people (or lawyers who advise them) are anxious to sue the company who designed the device, and even have warnings in the instructions for the device about use in wet areas. It's why the concept of a battery powered device is so appealing, much less exposure to the wet conditions. But that has its own issues, as have been raised in many of the threads about this possibility.
Userlevel 3
Since a lot of us just carry a Play1 or pair of them outside and plug them in, wouldn't it be as simple as creating a weather proof body for the existing speakers? There is no reinventing the wheel here, you only need to copy what Bose and many other companies already did with outdoor speakers. Just make them weather proof.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
From the somewhat recent article in The Verge:

"A couple weeks ago, when Spence was making the press rounds in San Francisco, we sat down with him for a candid discussion about Sonos’ future. He hinted pretty strongly that his company would finally think about making an “outdoor” speaker"

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/14/14596904/sonos-ceo-alexa-smart-home-outdoor-speakers-patrick-spence-interview
Badge
Waiting for a solution as well
Life is too short and uncertain to postpone the pleasure of music in the yard for this to happen.
It's been over a year since this thread opened. Any updates, Sonos team? Your loyal customers are asking to give you more money! ? I don't want to buy some other company's product...
Just came across this thread while looking to see the latest Sonos outdoor products (none). But I have had outdoor speakers by my pool for about 6 years now and on my back patio for about 10 years. I simply have 2 Connect AMPs running the speaker wires from the basement and everything works great. By the pool I have some Best Buy "Rock Speakers" that conceal the music in the landscaping. These lasted maybe 4 years though and quality degraded so I replaced the speakers with marine/boat speakers inside the plastic rocks. They work great. On the back patio have wall mount JVC speakers and love them. Have a pair of Play 1's in the kitchen and another AMP with Denon speakers in the basement. The full system is so much better and easier than Bluetooth.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So... I know I'm kinda late to the party. I don't want to add anything to this other than, we need outdoor sonos speakers! I'm adding a patio to my home and I REALLY want outdoor sound. I really want it to be seamless and part of my whole house experience. I don't want to try to engineer a solution out on my patio that requires drilling etc. I don't expect to leave them outdoor 24/7... but I would love an option that is focused on outdoor utility and or sound field?

If you don't expect to leave them outside, would bring them in if there were a risk of them getting wet and you have a Wi-Fi network what's wrong with the current line-up?
So... I know I'm kinda late to the party. I don't want to add anything to this other than, we need outdoor sonos speakers! I'm adding a patio to my home and I REALLY want outdoor sound. I really want it to be seamless and part of my whole house experience. I don't want to try to engineer a solution out on my patio that requires drilling etc. I don't expect to leave them outdoor 24/7... but I would love an option that is focused on outdoor utility and or sound field?
Another consumer here really wanting an outdoor speaker. Those of us who are condo owners and can't drill through exterior walls due to association guidelines, don't have the option of using the Amp/outdoor speaker solve.
I'd do everything possible to make sure it was mounted in something that imitated the inside of a building as much as possible.
Like a well ventilated box. Moisture could be a challenge, depending on the environment around. And a Connect Amp is probably a better idea that Connect + Third party amp.
There are specs listed on the website for operating conditions. But from my perspective, it's not made for outside use, and were I to want to use it at such, I'd do everything possible to make sure it was mounted in something that imitated the inside of a building as much as possible. But then, I've not actually looked at the operating temps, and I would recommend that you take that in to as much consideration as the possibility of moisture. I would also make the assumption that you'd probably not be getting a lot of support from Sonos should it go bad. 🙂
Here's a question. How weather resistant is the connect or connect:amp? I want to put Sonos connected tunes on my dock at my lake house. The dock is far enough away from the house that running speaker cable from the house to the speakers on the dock is not an option. I do however have an outdoor access point and get 100mbps wifi coverage on the dock so connectivity is great. The dock is covered and hard wired for power so I could mount the connect up under the roof, but it would still be subject to hot/cold and moisture in the air. Thoughts?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I/We wonder then what new exciting space Sonos IS trying to crack? Seems obvious to me they have a lot of existing customers who for years have said they are ready to buy waterproof Sonos speakers. Thats pretty good intel. Will investigate third party solution when I move to a new home. Thanks. That's not necessarily an innovation. I think Sonos is thinking bigger.
I/We wonder then what new exciting space Sonos IS trying to crack? Seems obvious to me they have a lot of existing customers who for years have said they are ready to buy waterproof Sonos speakers. Thats pretty good intel. Will investigate third party solution when I move to a new home. Thanks.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Sonos must realize that a high-end, whole-home sound system must include the outdoor living space. For many of us, it's where we spend much of our time enjoying music. Sonos can spend millions working, thinking, pondering, analyzing and experimenting on their own system or go out and find a quality outdoor speaker company and make it Sonos. Or partner with an outdoor speaker company, or license / partner with a company to embed Sonos tech until Sonos figures it out for themselves. Seriously, this should not be rocket science. I personally have hardwired outdoor rockustics around the pool and bose speakers in screened porch, all driven off my denon two-zone system. The sound is terrific, but I am moving in a couple of years and would like to just put Sonos everywhere in the new home. Sonos, your move....Sonos sells accessories that can help you connect to a third party speaker. The company line is currently "buy a waterproof speaker for outdoor use and connect it to Sonos". I'm not sure waterproof is the future market space Sonos is trying to crack.