My pair of Play 1 sounds a bit "weak" : add a Sub or replace with 2 Play 5 ?

• 5 October 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
Hi,
I have just bought a pair of Play 1 and I am very happy with the Sonos system, the stereo feeling ... but I feel they are too small and/or don't deliver enough bass for my 540 ft² room.
I can off course add a sub but I find it too expensive (and I have read that the Sub was a bit too "strong" with the Play 1).
So I was wondering if I had not better return my 2 Play 1 (I still can do it for a couple of months) and replace them with a pair of Play 5.
So to sum up : in a 540 ft² room and for stereo listening, what's better : a pair of Play 1 + sub or a pair of Play 5 alone ?
Thanks for your help !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sub. That is a righteous combination and will save you money over the two Play:5. Plus, it is easier to hide them from the significant other, if that is an issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Play 1s may be a bit small for your room even with a sub, that is a lot of space to fill. A pair of Play 5s and a sub should certainly do the job quite well, possibly a pair of Play 3s and a sub could do it well enough to make you happy too.

In a much smaller room here, about 350 sq/ft a single Gen 1 Play 5 is great for background music, and a pair are pretty good for general listening, but compared to my stereo setup - with a sub the low end is noticeably missing on the Play 5s.

Trying the same room with a pair of Play 3s the bottom is even weaker but the mid and higher still sound pretty decent.

Grab the sub as option one, then think about new Plays if you aren't happy.
Badge +1
Thanks for your answers.
I will indded try the 1s with a sub and see how it sounds like !