"My data" beta collection / new privacy concerns

• 4 September 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
I'm aware of the controversy around the new privacy policy that came with the release of 7.4, however, browsing on my sonos account I came across this new page which I find quite disturbing :

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/mydata/ (once you are logged-in on your sonos account obviously)

These minute-by-minute stats of your listening habits make you realize just how much data is collected and stored externally by Sonos, being your hours listened, the streaming or local sources, TV hours (if you own a playbar/playbase), and in which rooms you are listening in...

I couldn't find an announcement for this beta feature, but am I the only one a bit spooked by just how much stats are being stored onto Sonos servers about the usage of their product in my home?
At lease this dataviz page shows it clearly...

My Usage Data preference in the Advanced settings of the app is toggled off... So beside a hard firewall rule that will prevent my speakers from calling home, I believe the choice of opting out of this feature would be welcome..

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

There is clearly some lag between the changing of the setting and the state of data collection. And it would be unreasonable to expect that turning off the option in the controller would remove any previously collected data.

If you absolutely positively sure your additional data was off, and data has been collected during that time, then you have a a legitimate reason to communicate with Sonos Support and the privacy@sonos.com team

And while the "my data" url is not explicitly given in the privacy policy, it is explicitly said "You can view, edit or delete your personal data in either your Sonos account, Sonos app, or by reaching out to us directly to privacy@sonos.com. You can also make choices about Sonos' collection and use of your data by either logging in to your Sonos account or Sonos app and editing your profile, communication and data usage preference" http://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy#controlling-personal-information

I think Sonos is being amazingly upfront about all of this, how many companies actually show you the data they're collecting? If anyone believes that this isn't happening everywhere, this hypothetical person is being willfully ignorant. Such a hypothetical person should examine all the other Internet connected and smart home items and apps on their phone, and examine the situation more fully and collect details and facts.
Badge +3
I love this feature. Granted, I'm a data freak and love being able to track everything I'm doing. I have no problem with Sonos having this information. However, I can see why some people might feel different. I think "mataglap" is right in that Sonos has been very upfront about this. It's one thing to track all this and not let your customers know about it. But it is a choice one has to make when purchasing their products if you're willing to share the data.
Also be sure you are not being penny wise pound foolish to use a phrase from a different context but just as relevant. Browsers, websites, cookies, and perhaps even set top boxes allow for knowing a lot more about you - listening habits is trivial compared to that information. Once you are wired to anything more than just the pure mains sockets in your homes, you have given up on privacy. Or even if you are wirelessly so connected.
It's bizzarro world. People are upset because Sonos is spelling out what they are doing instead of hiding it it a 10,000 word standard acceptance that no one ever reads. Shiny object syndrome.
OP's time would be far better spent railing about Equifax exposing far more critical data, like SSN, than about how much he's listening to music.
The only thing that might bother me is if the mic can be subverted for listening in to what is happening inside the home. Even this is largely psychological because I doubt that more privacy would be lost this way than via the data route today via all the open entrances into the home that no one really thinks or bothers about, most of the time.

What about appliances that are on the net like refrigerators that will soon place replenishment orders? These will give away what you eat and drink, if that isn't already know if these products are bought on line.

The only way to keep the privacy in today's world in a meaningful and comprehensive way is at a cost and inconvenience that few can/will bother with.
I get the principle of privacy, but for the most part, I just don't think there is much data out there that could be used against me. Obviously, financial and identity related stuff, but much of what is collected on me just isn't all that damaging.

On the other hand, I can definitely see how the data Sonos and others collect can be beneficial to them from a statistical standpoint. Sonos doesn't really care what I listen to, but they do want to know how many collective hours their customers listen to music service X. That way they have real numbers to tell just how valuable that service is to their business. If the service went down, for example, they can get an idea of the impact. They can get a better idea of how successful new products might be, based on how customers are using the existing products.

And although it doesn't impact me much, it helps to know that Sonos is more likely to come out with better products and such, to stay in business longer. All good things for me.