Multiple Wi-Fi networks Sonos Move, same Sonos system

• 3 December 2020
  • 9 replies

Hello- I have searched the forum and haven’t seen an answer to this:  How do you add multiple WiFi networks to Sonos Move?  I have a SonosNet setup and the Move is the only WiFI connected Sonos device.  I have multiple Wifi networks due to the area I am covering with different SSIDs, all on the same subnet.  SonosNet reaches far corners due to the mesh, but a single WiFi network won’t.  I read that Move can store credentials for up to 16 networks, but how to you add those additional credentials?  The solutions I’ve seen involve multiple Sonos systems (which I do not have), change all access points to same credentials (which I don’t want to do), or factory reset the Move and re-setup Wifi when out of range (which makes the Move pretty immovable).  Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @tztag, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. About your question on Multiple SSID on the Sonos Move.

• Multi-SSID allows players to join SSIDs other than your original SSID and store each one.
  • Players can store up to 16 SSIDs that you have joined.
  • Sonos players can reconnect to any SSID in your list as long as they are in the range of the SSID and the stored credentials are still valid.
  • All players support Multi-SSID.
  • The ability to store and join multiple SSIDs and APs allows Move to roam between AP connections in the same geographic location.
  • In the case of multiple SSID in the same location, the Move will pick the best AP based on the Wireless Security (WPA2/WPA/WEP) then RSSI level (10 dB+).

I hope this answers your question. 

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Thank you- so how do I add the additional SSIDs to the Move?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @tztag, thanks for the update. To add another SSID or wifi name on the Sonos Move, you can go to the Sonos App and go to system and look for Find missing product and choose the Sonos Move, then it will ask you to connect it to the other Wifi network. 

Let us know how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.

txtag,

Just to quickly add (for info only, in case you do later encounter any network connection issues) I opted to set all the available WiFi access points here, to use the exact same SSID’s/credentials, with ‘fixed’ non-overlapping 2.4ghz/5ghz WiFi channels & channel-width as per the main router - that all works fine here, for each of our network and smart-home devices, including Sonos and non-Sonos products and we have 64 different devices currently connected incl. two Sonos Moves.

I personally found that worked much better than having ‘portable’ devices auto-switch WiFi networks with different SSID’s etc. but perhaps see how it goes.

Hi I am struggling wit this as there seems to be no clear instruction on how to setup those 16 .

I only have one Sonos product - the sonos move. I have setit up in my home office with SSID A.

I want to use it in the garden that is in the coverage of a different accesspoint SSID B. Both are on the same subnet.

I cannot locate the sonos move when my iphone is connected to SSID B and the S2 app has no option to add an SSID… So are there any clear instructions on how to do this?

Thanks

Hi I am struggling wit this as there seems to be no clear instruction on how to setup those 16 .

I only have one Sonos product - the sonos move. I have setit up in my home office with SSID A.

I want to use it in the garden that is in the coverage of a different accesspoint SSID B. Both are on the same subnet.

I cannot locate the sonos move when my iphone is connected to SSID B and the S2 app has no option to add an SSID… So are there any clear instructions on how to do this?

Thanks

Add Wireless Networks to Sonos Move

1. Connect your mobile device to the new WiFi network.
  2. Open the Sonos app and wait while it searches for your Sonos system.
    • If the app shows “We can’t connect to Sonos,” tap This isn’t working.
  3. Tap More Options, then Update Wi-Fi Settings.
  4. Follow the instructions to connect your Move to the new WiFi network.

Thanks Ken, Appreciate your prompt response

for clarity , a couple of further questions

1 when i am doing this do I also move the speaker to the new location or only connect my mobile device to SSID B whle the speaker is still in the range of SSID A? If I connect to SSID B in the garden while the speaker is still in the office- I can operate the speaker. 

2 I moved to the new SSID which has a strong signal on my phone. But the wifi white light on the speaker in this location does not sense it ( Is this therefore due to the SSID not registered or as its out of wifi range ( although my phone shows 4/5 bars)

Thanks Ken, Appreciate your prompt response

for clarity , a couple of further questions

1 when i am doing this do I also move the speaker to the new location or only connect my mobile device to SSID B whle the speaker is still in the range of SSID A? If I connect to SSID B in the garden while the speaker is still in the office- I can operate the speaker.

I just personally chose to power off the existing WiFi/Router here at home (just to ensure there were no setup interference issues) and then I added the other router network connection that I had with me in my case (one was a mobile MiFi device and the other was a mobile (iPhone) WiFi Hotspot). That gave me three networks that the Move will switch between when in range - but perhaps it would be easier for some to maybe goto the remote site and then setup the network connection.

2 I moved to the new SSID which has a strong signal on my phone. But the wifi white light on the speaker in this location does not sense it ( Is this therefore due to the SSID not registered or as its out of wifi range ( although my phone shows 4/5 bars)

It won’t sense it (obviously) until you set up the nearby network with the Sonos App (you can see the list if Networks by the way in ”Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks” (see screenshot attached) and if you have any connection issues after the Network is setup, then try putting the Move into standby (or power it off) for 30 seconds and then bring it back online - it usually works for me without ever doing that, but I’ve seen some say they had to put the device to sleep and wake it up again to make it switch connection.

Rohandxb,

Also just for information only, if you look at the screenshot in my previous post a user can click/press on any network connection in the list within the App to remove it - see attached example screenshot.

HTH